Noob grower, could use some input regarding my babies

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lowryder21, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Hello guys,its my first time growing and i am encountering some difficulties with my babies.The main problem is temperature.With lights off, it ranges between 80-85F.With lights on it goes up to 90F.I am using a secret jardin dr-90 growtent(0.9x0.9x1.80m).For lighting i am using a 400 hps.What bothers me is that i have the lamp 20 inches away,if i lower it it can go up to 100F.
    I have 6 plants inside, 2 Barney's Farm LSD, 1 White Dwarf, 1 Super Sour OG, 1 Emerald Jack, 1 White Widow.1 LSD is about 4 weeks old, White Dwarf almost the same, the rest besides the Emerald Jack are about 14 days old.The Emerald Jack is way behind, its about 7 days since i put it and hasn't even sprouted for good.Except the White Dwarf and the bigger LSD i have not used any nutes.I give to these two every second watering a bit of Bio-Grow, about 0.5ml/L.To the rest i have only used Root Juice.
    I have uploaded some photos, sorry for the shitty quality, next time i will try and take pictures of them with lights off.Hope you could give me some input on what i could do better.
    The first photo is Barney's Farm LSD, the smaller one.
    The second one is the bigger LSD. I have noticed a kind of discoloration in some leaves.The lower ones including the cotyledons have started to become yellow.There is also curling in some of the leaves.
    The third one is Super Sour OG.Also some spots, can be seen from the picture.
    The fourth one is Emerald Jack, still not fully sprouted.
    The fifth picture is White Dwarf, its 25 days old and seems to be suffering a bit:/.
    The sixth one, White widow, seems to be having its issues too.
    I am not 100% sure for the small plants, which one is which,had fucked it up in the beggining.Too many mistakes and i am struggling to correct them.Will try and upload more pictures when the plants will be in the dark.If you can offer some input by looking at these shitty pics, you are welcome.Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Hey what's up man? Are you intaking and exhausting the tent? Also you should try to use a MH for veg.

3. Hello dude, i am using a budget fan 150 for intake.For exhaust i have 2 RVK 125 Fans.The one of the two is used for the cooltube.This pic will help you to understand more about the set up of my growtent.Yeah, an MH would be great.You think it would help with my temp issues?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  4. No MH wont help temps. Will get them the proper light spectrum you need. What's the temp outside the tent

5. looks like you are running a HPS, they run hot. You need more ventilation. 90 is simply to hot, plants stop with photosynthesis at about that temp range. Pending on the strain even sooner.

I like Crazey wonder the temp outside your enclosure, if it is above 78 and you are intaking from there and exhausting there, you are raising the temps in you text. exhaust to a room outside the room you have your text setup in. intake cooler air. I pull 68 air to my lights from the basement, and out to a sealed separate room above the grow. This setup only keeps the light cool. I have found with the MH and HPS lights that some other vent system is required to keep the ambient temp of the tent down. Vent both the tent and air cool your light. Keep your intake for your tent a few deg lower than your desired temp, and the intake fan should be low in the room keep your exhaust high in the tent and vented outside both rooms.

6. Yes, i run a 400 hps.Outside the enclosure temps can reach 80F and more.I am intaking from there as you said but exhausting outside of the room.The problem lies to the fact than i cannot have cooler air for intake from what i get.The tent is in my bedroom and i can't see many alternatives regarding the intake.
    For the exhaust of the tent i do have an RVK Fan 125mm .And another one to cool the light and exhaust.So you believe that if things keep going like this my babies are not gonna make it?

7. Move the tent or get a ac.

8. if your temp stays above 90 they might not die but you will see very little growth if any. you have to get the temp inside the tent down to at least 83-85 I never go above 78 in side the tent. I actually had a very similar issue with this. I got a portable ac unit to cool my tent. and exhausted it out the window. My "tent" is large enough to house a ac unit if yours is not cool the room to cooler than desired temp. If you live in a very hot very dry area you could do the same thing with a evaporation cooler. EC's add humidity to your space so they are ineffective for northern climates and AC is the way to go. If EC's sound like it would work you could buy one or make one. They are very easy to make if you are on a budget. If you have access to a basement with cooler air draw air from there. where ever you can get cooler air you need it. be resourceful. hope this helps.

9. Unfortunately, the ac unit is not an option:(.Too much electricity for the portable ones.Its is not constantly above 90F.For example now it is about 84.It car reach 80 some times.Depends on the outside temperature.Problem is some hours of the daylight i have the light on.In the night things are cooler.I hope later, with the schedule to 12/12 things will be better.
    My problems, i believe, are going to arise when i put the carbon filter.Hope it wont affect my fan which at the time exhausts the cooltube, too much.Thank you both for the advice guys.You believe any problems my plants might have are related to heat?And Mixted, interesting what you mentioned about EC.

10. good luck and let us know how it goes.

11. Some more pictures from my babies.Today it reached 90F_ :(

I will post more the next few days.I did not take photos from all of them.Hope they seem better than the previous ones

Attached Files:

12. I believe if you add co2 that will allow you up to 95. That is when the stomata in the stem is open the most I believe. I could be wrong anyone else feel free to correct me if I am.

13. Yes my friend i thought about the CO2 too.I will propably gonna try it with a diy method that seems fairly easy and saw it from there.In general what do you think, do they seem to have major issues?

14. Thy look good. Keep up the good work!

15. T-5's for veg....flower at night...better exhause flow...:smoke:

16. Hello folks, there have been some really hot days lately and i am facing some problems with temperatures.They rarely fall below 90F with lights on.Using some jugs with ice may drop them to 87F about a couple hours.
    Besides that i have some problems with my babies.The bottoms leaves of the older LSD are yellowing and besides that the lower set of leaves turned really yellow and died.
    Also a couple of my other babies have some minor yellowing in one or two of their leaves.But growth seems to be advancing.Anyone know what could cause this?
    I water them every two to three days.PH of water is about 6.5-7.The only plants that i have been giving nutes is the older LSD(Bio-grow every other watering) and White Dwarf(Bio-Grow and gave it some Bio-Bloom the last time i watered).
    Hope the pics will help you understand what i am talking about.Sorry for the quality.
    Pictures 3,4,5 are from my older LSD. This faces the major problems.Another one has minor yellowing too as i mentioned.The only baby i didn't photo is Emerald Jack which is tiny yet but seems to be getting along fine

Attached Files:

17. Sorry for the double post, could not upload all of them at once.In the last two pictures is my White Dwarf which started flowering

Attached Files:

18. Anyone?Any ideas concerning my problem?

19. Your plants are showing a need for Phosphorous.
    P problems, while using nutes, are often more related to the ph of your soil or nuted water, or cold. Ph has to be 6.5, not 6.5-7.0, it needs to be at least 65F degrees at soil level, run off from your soil should be 6.5ph... start with the soil run off, if it's good, look at your temperature, next make really sure that your nuted water is 6.5
    If you have all of the above covered, don't worry about it, sometimes plants loose leaves in a gobble fest for P... they like P in later veg, past first month.

If your run off isn't right at 6.5ph, repost in sick plant section with the number you got with the water going in and the number you got on the water coming out...someone will help you.

20. Thanks a lot for your answer it was very helpful.The first thing that came to my mind was the PH was off.In the particular plant with the major problems the first waterings were without testing the PH. That may be a dumb question, but how can i possibly check the PH of the runoff by using Smartpots?
    And secondly do you believe that for now i would have to stop giving it nuted water?