pls need help germinating and sprouting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wmemae, May 13, 2009.

1. I have my grow room setup and ready, ut I have 1 problem , I cant get my babys started. I used the paper towel method in a ziplock bag 3days later 1 germed 4 cracked but no roots poped out but the one that germed was put in rockwool and did not sprout . but the ziplock smeled moldy . and then I tryed the soak in a cup method , droped 4 in the cu 3 germed and put them in rockwool 3 days ago and nothing sprouted yet either . and they are sitting on a heat mat and the waters ph was ajusted to 5.5- 5.7. thx guys pls send sugestions:confused:

2. #2 tool575757, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  3. you might be over watering

4. is that why it smeled moldy or is it the heat and humidaty

5. good start dude . wish I was you right now . oh ya how long do you think it'll take to sprout through the rockwool I put them in about 5-6 mm deep

6. ok dude i had the exact same problem and it took me a long time to get started.

but so here is how i do it now and i get very very good germ rates.

first off, skrew the paper towels. that is a horible method, ive found.

so ok. take a cup of water. use bottled water cuz tap has clorine in it. then let it sit till it gets to room temperature. then drop your seeds in. put the cup in a dark place that wont get cold.

wait about 12 hours and check them. poke them very gently with a CLEAN finger. most of them should sink. let it sit another say 2 hours to see if more sink.

then take out the sank ones and leave the others in there to try and get them to sink. if they dont sink within another like 5 hours, they are prolly bad ones. you could plant them, but dont expect much out of them.

now take a small cup (i use solo red cups to start) and drill drain holes in the bottom. fill it with some potting soil (NO MIRACLE GROW) and BEFORE putting the seeds in, soak the soil thouroughly with good, nonclorine water. let it drain for like 10 minutes.

then plant your seed pointy end down about 1/4 inch or so below the surface. it doesnt need to be deeper than that at all. one seed per cup.

put the cups in a nice warm place (around 80-85 farenheit) and wait.

the soil shouldnt need any watering until after they sprout. mine normally sprout within like 3-5 days or so, but i had one take like 2 weeks.

this is the way i do it and i normally have very very very good germ rates with this. just keep it simple.

hope this is helpful.

7. thanks dude very helpfull, ut I have one problem I am growing hydro ebb and flow

8. ok.. um i think you could just do the same but with the cubes instead of the solo cups.

i only grow outdoors as it is right now, but i know a thing or 2 about indoors.

9. thanks do I cover up the hole in the rockwool after planting the seed or leave it and make sure its dark and moist , thanks

10. #11 puff, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
    Try oasis cubes - they have a hole already, are ph neutral and after you drop them in just pinch the top slightly leaving a small space for plant. Of course this is all done after the cube has been whetted first.
    BTW - there is nothing wrong with the paper towel method. Just be careful of the roots when moving to the new media.

Peace to all. :)

11. i think you should cover it up. but im not 100% sure on that one...

i dont think it makes a big difference either way.

12. thats what I have thanks guys I am going to keep on trying but seeds are expensive I stoped smoking couse of probation so I dont know anybody who sells so I can get bag seeds to practice on but hey:smoking:

13. ive had a lot of problems with the paper towel method. it just doesnt even work that well. you dont get good germ rates, its weird and unecessary.

and after all, does nature use paper towels? no. and its a plant so it tends to favor natural methods.

14. Don't complicate it - do as nature intended!

Soak the beans in distilled water for 24 to 36 hours if you want (I do because I am nosy)

Then transplant them, pointy end down, about 1/4" deep in to your growing medium and keep moist, not wet.

Keep all of the above within decent temperatures such as 75 to 80F+

15. this is exactly what ive been trying to tell them man.

16. thx guys big help. will try it I am going to post the pics if the grow room tomorrow tellme what you guys think and what I may need

17. if there are any other sugestions , they are welcomed . btw should I use the heatmat or not ?

18. bump bump

19. No heatmat

Just put the seeds in a cup of luke-warm water in a dark place for 24 hours, then in a damp paper towel for 3 days once again in a dark place, then all or your viable seeds will show and be ready to be planted.