First grow - Nabula in Sun Hut Silver

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by grass69, Jan 29, 2009.

1. #1 grass69, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    It was time for a new hobby so decided to set up a small room.

I'll be using the following equipment

Hardware

• Sun Hut Silver 2x4
    • Galaxy 600W Ballast
    • SolarMax 600W HPS Bulb (flower)
    • ProLight 6 5T light reflector (veg)
    • GP filter charcoal filter X2 (One for exhaust odor control one for running inside the room for odor control
    • Sun Court Fans for exhaust and reflector venting
    • SilverStar Vented reflector for the 600W SolarMax bulb.
    • Oakton PH and TDS testers
    • Cruise Temp (thermostat hooked up the the exhaust fan)
    • Four 6" desk fans for air movement
    • Humidifier (low humidity in my house)
    • Ranco Humidifier
    • Custom made heat kill to shutoff power when temps get too hot (100F +) with manual reset

Nutrients

• Hydro Fuel Grow and Bloom
    • Aussie Tonic (vitamin b+)
    • Soil Builder (crazy commercial greenhouse root builder)
    • Floralicious Plus
    • GH powdered PH UP/DOWN
    • Dutch Treat Seaweed
    • Massive (flower builder)
    • Kool Bloom

Plants

• PK

Here are some photos of the 70% finished room. Plants were with no light for two days so look a bit hurting. I did more today but didn't have a change to take more photos.

With the air cooled SilverStar I will not be sucking the air from the room through the charcoal filter and then the reflector. The reflector venting will be sealed off from the room with its own fan. So one of the SunCourt fan will be mounted on the left side of the tent and push air through the reflector right out the room.

I'll be pushing the air through the reflector to create positive pressure inside the shade to blow air into the room incase there are any leaks in the ducting.

I'll post photos of the finished room in the next few days.

From bottom up the exhaust fan and charcoal filter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SilverStar reflector not yet hooked up and the ProLight reflector below it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Plants (Nebula)

[​IMG]

2. Dude fuckin sick grow room! how much did all that cost ya? Looks great!

+rep for classy grow room.

3. I get everything at cost :p but will do a (suck up to the hydro shop) price breakdown later today when I get back at work and post more photos of the set up.

4. wow, that shit looks pro!

5. I still havent had much time to get everything hooked up and dialed in but I had to get a humidifier as it was getting way to low even with the exhaust fan running for 10min every 30min.

I ended getting this unit at Walmart. Too[​IMG]

The above unit is a little big (foot print wise) for my taste so will probably be getting this one (or two) and hook it (them) up to a humidistat for better control.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SU-1051B-Travel-Size-Personal-Humidifier-Black/dp/B00125L0LA"]Amazon.com: SPT SU-1051B Travel-Size Personal Humidifier, Black: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

6. Here's the price breakdown. Mind you I got everything at cost so I'll do a good deal from a hydro shop price. All prices an in CDN Dollars

Hardware

• Sun Hut Silver 2x4 -$225
    • Galaxy 600W Ballast - $250
    • SolarMax 600W HPS Bulb (flower) $75
    • ProLight 6 5T light reflector (veg) -$275
    • GP filter charcoal filter X2 (One for exhaust odor control one for running inside the room for odor control $85ea
    • Sun Court Fans for exhaust and reflector venting - $35ea
    • SilverStar Vented reflector for the 600W SolarMax bulb. - $135ea
    • Oakton PH and TDS testers - $110/80
    • Cruise Temp (thermostat hooked up the the exhaust fan) - $80
    • Four 6" desk fans for air movement - $5
    • Humidifier (low humidity in my house) - $35
    • Ranco Humidifier - $30
    • Custom made heat kill to shutoff power when temps get too hot (100F +) with manual reset $100
    • Total approx: $1545 + taxes just for the hardware

Plants

• Nabula - Free :)

7. nice flippin set up! im going to keep a good eye on this one..

8. #8 grass69, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
    Some more photos. The SilverStar will be the shade I use with the 600W Solarmax/Galaxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. This is the pot I'll be using for when I flip them Its 7 3/4" wide x 9 3/4" deep

[​IMG]

10. Subscribed.....I wanna watch this grow as well

Very sweet setup

11. So they are coming along nicely although seems I got PK's instead of Nebs. Seems my buddy miss heard what I wanted. Oh well at 3000K+ CDN per lb I'm not complaining although everyone and their mom grows PK here.

I had to get a CAP controllers Humidistat as trying to run the humidifier on a recycling timer didn't give me proper control of humidity.

A few quick snaps. My cat seesm to always find his way in there when I work on the plants. Although one of the rules for bug control is no pets around the garden. But hey...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Really nice setup.... helps me out with some ideas I'm working on for the 4x4 tent that I picked up.

I have a question for you on your hood ventilation. I see your running one of those 6" suncourt inline fans. Have you tried firing up your light and see how it does cooling?

I was thinking of running two fans like you and curious how that suncourt does cooling the light. Are you running any ducting on it once it leaves the tent?

For my room scrubbing/cooling I'm going to run one of the valueline fans.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/valueline-inch-435-cfm-centrifugal-inline-fan-p-2260.html

13. What nutrients have you been using?? I am just about to start my white russians and need to know what nutrients i will need from start to finish and could you please tell me the brand name also as i need to get them ordered off the net! thanks

14. Not yet with the light running but with the fan sucking the air out and through the ducting there is quite a bit of air coming out so should suffice for now. I probably will add a second one in front of the shade just to get an extra boost. The only problem with those fans is that blow good free flowing but once you restrict them they slow way down. The main bonus is they are much quieter then the vortex/ellicent/hurricane type fans.

ATM the air just goes out and I'm probably wont be able to suck their air out of the main room as I can't damage the walls. I'm still thinking of how I'm gonna vent it out out of the main walk in closet. I'm thinking maybe sending both the room exhaust and shade exhaust into a small air conditioner and then have the air conditioner blow warm air out of the walk in closet and into the main room.

Yah those will do fine as they won't slow down like the sun court fans do. I'm actually getting a 4" Vortex fan today the replace the room exhaust fan as I don't have enough control over the temps.

15. This is the list of food that I use. My watering cycle also goes like this . Feed > Water > Feed > Water > etc...

Feed: Full food regiment with the appropriate ppm for the plants age.

Water: PH set water with humic/fulvic/vitamin b/ This lets me flush out/dilute the salt build up in the dirt while the humic/fulvic helps the plant absorb the salts better with out starving it.

This is what I'm using for food/additives

For Veg (18/6)

Hydro Fuel Gro
    Aussie Tonic
    Soil Builder
    Floralicious Plus
    Seaweed Extract
    SM 90
    Fulvic Acid

16. Ok I bought a 4" Vortex fan today and hooked it up instead of the 6" SunCourt fan. Much better control of temperature. The fan is going through a Night/Day thermostat.

[​IMG]

And some more photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. They are looking really good

18. Here are some more photos from today. Just fed them about an hour ago,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. #19 grass69, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    So today was interesting

Lights went off at 10am and came back on at 1pm instead of 4pm. Wooops so fixed the timer and just kept the lights running for 21 hours instead of 18.

Discovered thrips so will get an arsenal of cool killing sprays and gadgets to get me some thrips. I'll be adding yellow sticky strips. Vapona stips, Konk 418 in an automatic dispencer.

I'll also be transplanting the plants (at about 7 in) into two gallon pots and watering them with 200ppm to flush them out for when I flip then in a few days. Before I transplant them I'll also be lining the hole with InsectStop go get the thrip larvae as the crawl around.

I'll be mixing 50/50 ProMix HP/CocTek for the medium.

20. So I transplanted most of them into 2gal square pots last night. I've also put together fan mounts from pvc parts. I'll be flipping them tomorrow or latest Sat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]