Cfl

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ganja*man, Dec 12, 2007.

1. hello :) i decided to use CFL bulbs for growing. and I wanted to know,If I'm planning to grow only 1 plant,how much bulbs do I need? And what about lumens? how much lumens need for one plant?

2. I'm growing one plant, I got 130watts on it. Two 42 watt bulbs and two 23 watt bulbs. Before its done I plan on switching the remaining 23 watt bulbs and using all 42 watt bulbs. The bigger, the better.

You really want to give the plant as much light as possable, otherwise i'm gonna tell you to just save the time and buy a dub

3. I only want to know how much lumens,at least need to one plant ;) that's all ;) :smoke:

4. sounds like your not ready to grow mj. sorry, but read the forums more.

look for kemels cfl guide, i think its stickied in the indoor grow forum.

5. ok,thanks. by the way - this will be my second attempt :) Only reason why I'm asking about lumens,is that I forgot about it,betcause last time was a long time ago. I read kemels cfl guide. There wasnt't told anything about lumens,I think so. :confused:

by the way,can somebody suggest a timer for 12/12 grow? I was searcing in ebay,but really dont know what would be better/cheaper for me...

6. Again, read around more. You want to go by wattage, not lumens. I doubt you've gone all the way through kemels guide. Once I went through that guide I didn't need to ask these questions anymore.

Also, with cfl's you dont have to worry about the timer - it can handle our little lights with no problem. You need the heavy duty timers for HID lighting.

7. at least 100watts per plant with cfl's, keep cfl's close to plant at all times, not close enough to burn it but about 2-4 inches away at all costs, basically the lowest you can get without burning the plant. best bet for one plant, the simplest thing would be to get 2 Y splitters and get 4, 42 watt bulbs. of course you can always get more bulbs and place them around the plant more generously, but that is the simplest way. and eyec0n is right Kamel has a great guide for cfl's, so spend some time going over every detail.

8. general rule of thumb (if you want to use lumens) is 10,000 per plant or meter sqaured

itll be hard to achieve that with a cfl... a 400 hps puts off about 45,000

9. not hard at all if you are trying to get minimum, 4 - 42 watt cfl's will put out 10400 lumens, so using 4 bulbs for canopy and other lights for spot lighting i think u can achieve the 10k lumens per plant.

10. Okay my suggestion is get at least a 225watt CFL. A marijuana plant can sustain life as few as 2000 lumens per sqft. I have a 125watt CFL and a 2 foot by 3 foot grow space growing a lowryder. To calculate lumens per sqft just take the total lumens coming from your bulb (mine at 150 watts was about 18000 lumens at 6sq feet. There for about 3000 lumens per sqft. You say well it can live....yeah...but not thrive. I have just ordered an HPS light because at 400watts they produce something like 50000 lumens. But back to the CFL's they are good because they don't use much energy and are not nearly as hot as the others and are good for closet/small grows. The lumens per sqft you want to reach is anywhere between 5000-7000.

11. ok,thanks ;) you helped me a lot :) but problem is that I cant find CFL bulbs ;/ I chcked in ebay,but sellers dont offer to send bulbs to my country :/ and here I cant buy them :(
    what should I do? maybe there is some web markets where I can order those bulbs?

I got 4 fluorescent tubes,but they are only 800 lumens eah [6500k].. I think that they are useless :? what do u think? what should I do? :(

12. Not useless at all. All 4 tubes would put you at 3200 lumens, use this with a cfl or 2 and you'll be good to go.

If shipping is an issue in your country I wouldn't bother trying to hunt the big, expensive, fragile cfl bulbs - which you need a mogul socket for, they wont fit into a standard e26 socket. You best bet is to find somewhere that sells the big 42 watt cfl, they are like $10 USD. Seriously, one of those with your tubes should be enough - you can find the 42 watter at almost any home improvement or electronics or major retail store.