My first indoor medical grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gilman420, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Hi guys, so this is my situation.  I am loving this site.  I love following someone's grow, so I thought hey I should let some peeps follow my grow.  Got some nice stuff.  I ordered 5 feminized Jack Herer seeds from DutchSeedsBank.com and got them just fine...along with some I have no idea what they are.  The unknown seed canister was labeled DSB10023, I am assuming it stands for dutch seeds bank as the other was labeled JH and some number.  I have 10 unknown and 5 Jack Herer.  I germinated the Jack before the others.  Jack Herer sprouted on 5/20 and the two unknowns sprouted about the same day together on 5/25.

Soil- MG organic compost potting mix (no perlite yet) (I will transplant into better, I know)

Water- tap water: contains trace minerals, pH is about 7 (I lower it to 6.4 or 6.5)

Light- right now they are under a t5 54Watt fluorescent ( I am waiting on the MH 400watt)

Nutes- N/A

So, here we are a little bit behind, because of my lack of light-
    Jack Herer Day 21
    P6100004.JPG

The two unknowns after 16 Days
    P6100005.JPG P6100006.JPG

The shitty light setup, this is going to be cool, because we will all see how the growth speeds up when I switch them to the new 400W MH lamp-
    P6100007.JPG

2. Looking very good.  You've got some good plans for growing.  Good luck on your journey and I wish you a bountiful harvest.

Look forward to watching your progress.

3. How far you been keeping the t5s from the tops??

4. Small but overall healthy, good luck! I'd get it into some proper soil ASAP tho, looks like that MG is holding lots of water.

5. #5 Gilman420, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
    I try to stay off them about 4 inches.  Am I being too scared to burn them, can I put it lower?

Yea, I rarely have to water my plants.  Damn soil I have been using is the cheapest I can get that doesn't totally suck.  I am going to spend a little bit more soon and get fox farm fish harvest again and some perlite.  I ran out before I transplanted these seedlings.  Needless to say, I am sure my veggies on the porch are going to love me for it too...but I will be loving that too [​IMG]  My pea plant is so big I love it.

6. Naw 4 is good gives u n inch or two Lee way in case it shoots up while yur at work or somethin

7. Looking great keep it up . Your plants look like they are at a good distance from the light as well . Fox farms OCean forest will be good to transplant and flower with if you want to spent a few bucks . 12-15$ per bag round here

8. Cool, I like that one a lot.  It is about $17 here at agway.  I am worried about the soil they are in.  It is not showing any signs of drying up.  Will that cause root rot if it doesn't ever dry out?  Not much change yet with the babies.  The new light should be here in 4-5 days now :)  I got a MH right now, but it is flowering my two biggest plants.  Once the new one gets here I will put the HPS bulb in and switch my setup around a bit.

9. Update, pictures on the girls. I will do side by sides of each.--

Day 21 for Jack                                          Day 23 for Jack
    View attachment 157799 View attachment 157895       

Day 16 for Cookie                                       Day 18 for Cookie
    View attachment 157800 View attachment 157896

Day 16 for Un-Sub                                      Day 18 for Un-Sub
    View attachment 157801 View attachment 157897

Ok, so they I guess they grew a little more than I thought.  I am going to agway asap to get foxfarm soil.  I will post the pics after I transplant.

10. They look nice .. Don't worry about root rot . They will become claw shaped first if you over water. The leaf in all pics looks healthy to me. you are on the right track. Root rot will happen if you leave water setting in the bottom constantly . Some soils drain too well to do that . Some hold too much water and things get funky . If you use the pot lifting method this will never happen . Only water when your pot is light in weight as compared with one you've watered well that's heavy still .once you get used to the diff emcee in weight you can easily lift the pot to see if the plant is ready for water . You can also add perlite to FFarms OF. You will have to water more often coz it drains better .

11. Well, I am happy the top of the soil finally looks like it is starting to dry.  Here are the pics today.  They all look pretty happy in their new home under our desk in our bedroom :)  I got the t5 taped to a trash can lol.  Since it is under the desk I have no where to hang it.  Here they are:

Jack day 25
    View attachment 157944
    View attachment 157945

Cookie Monster day 20
    View attachment 157946
    View attachment 157947

Un-Sub2 day 20
    View attachment 157948
    View attachment 157949

12. BOO-YAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LET THERE BE LIGHT! [​IMG]  I am so stoked.  I am going to setup the flowering room soon.  I will show you what I end up with probably tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

PS- It came early, I checked my email and it said it had already arrived lol. I was like WTF?  I never use the front door, wow it was there for like a day LOL.

13. Nice! Good luck with ur new light.. I'll check in on these lil gals here and there . Let me know if you need and help:)

14. So, one plant had some fungus gnats...it was one I don't really care about.  I flushed it with water and left it outside.  Well, I thought they were gone cuz they were just under the soil and I didn't see them anymore, so I had moved it back with the others (this was before I knew what the bugs were).  Now, I have them in the medical females :(  Going today to get mosquito dunks, DE, and fly papers.  I will post pics later tonight.  Arrrggg, now I think they are all in my vegetables out on the porch, but what ever as long as I keep them out of the indoor stuff.

15. Ok, the babies are doing well.  I think I see a difference with the 400W MH already.  All the plants have roots coming out the bottom of the pots and they look amazing!  I have never seen roots that look so gnarly with long hairs all over them.  They look like fuzzy white worms.  So, I am going to transplant them very soon, but I am waiting to see if anymore fungus gnats show up.  Only, seen two on the fly traps I rigged up.  I want to top the jack herer very soon... Does anyone know if I should wait until after I transplant? Does it matter when I do it?

Here they are-
    Jack Herer at day 29
    View attachment 158104
    View attachment 158107

Cookie Monster at day 24
    View attachment 158106
    View attachment 158109

Un-Sub2 at day 24
    <div> View attachment 158105
    View attachment 158108

</div>

16. Since you are leaning on the ocean forest, and I know I said this on another thread you saw, you need to add a good amount of perlite.. Ocean forest does have some perlite in it, but not enough for good draining. Fox farms has enough goodies to get you through about 30 days of growing. Not sure if your going the organic route or the bottled chem route. But I would suggest going organic. Since you are already growing and don't have time to "cook" some soil, you should amend that ocean forest with some goodies. I think of it like this. Since the fox farms has enough usable ferts in it for about 30 days of veg, that gives 30 days for amendments to start breaking down and becoming available to the plants. Kinda like , "cook as you veg" kind of thing. I like to cook my own, but those times I get a nice cut or something else that I don't have soil ready to go, I have used the "cook as you grow" method, and it actually works very very well.
    I recommend that if you do use ocean forest that you ammend with:
    Perlite
    Garden or tomato tone
    Ewc
    Kelp meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Neem meal
    Bone meal
    Lime or oyster shells.

As for measurements, I don't measure. I just use a handful of this and a couple handfuls of that kind of measuring. Growing almost 25 years now, o gave up the measuring cups and spoons a long time ago.. Kinda like you just get used to what you put in and how the soil feels looks and smells.
    If you amend the ocean forest right, you will have water only organic yummyness that will knock your socks off.
    Of course cooking your own without the ocean forest would be your best bet, but honestly, you probably couldn't even tell the difference. Imma follow your grow and see what you make of it..
    Happy growing and stay groovy!!

17. Well it has been awhile and I have an update. I just found out what my unknown seeds are. Man, I wish I had looked that number up earlier (DSB10023). I found out that is a reference number for dutchseedsbank and that the number is for a 10pack of Critical Mass auto feminized seeds. They flower in 3-4 weeks and they sure are starting to do that. I have put another seed of that in water to start another one, now that I know what they are. I am going to sprout it in a sponge and try it in hydro.

Jack Herer and her baby clones. I just topped the Jack off in hopes the clones get bigger.
    View attachment 158258 View attachment 158259

Cookie Monster (Critical Mass1 in pre-flower)
    View attachment 158260
    View attachment 158261

Un-Sub2 (now identified as Critical Mass2 in pre-flower)
    View attachment 158262
    View attachment 158263

18. Might I ask why you flower so small???

19. It was an accident. They are autos, kinda had no choice on when to flower. I didn't know those were autos lol. I wasn't really supposed to get those ones. Did you read my thread? I told what happened, they had bad soil and I had them under a single t5 50Watt so they didn't get enough light. And if you know autos then you would now that autos require more light then photos do. I don't want to just throw them out, I think I can get about an 1/8th ounce from each plant. I will update everyone here how they look. Should be kinda funny to see these little autos flower.