First Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MyDogSmokesWeed, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Ok, so I'll give the background of my screwed up first grow. lol. I randomly planted a bunch of seeds on Sept. 1. After 9 days I had 2 plants sprout, so I went to throw out the other containers with the dirt. When I did, I saw there were baby plants under the dirt, but had been trapped and couldn't get out. I rescued very gently, replanted, and they actually did ok. I had 8 total to start. I started with bagseed for my first run while I got my setup going. I literally started them all wrong, in soil, outside in September. lol. For about the first 3 weeks I took the plants out in the morning and back in at night. Then after about a month I got my light in the mail. I bought a 1000W MH/HPS light, and they've been under it ever since. I started flowering on 10/25 so they vegged for 55 days then I switched to flower and they've been there for a bit over 2 weeks. I topped at day 40, then pruned the shit out of them a week after, so day 47. Then I LST'd and let them recover for 8 days, then switched to 12/12. I got a couple pictures. Tough to tell tints and everything, but I got one plant that's really nice looking with many nice cola's forming, and the other 2 plants are a little behind, but flowering nicely. OH, BTW, I started with 8 plants, and had 5 males. So that's why I have 3 left. They are all doing fine, but one in particular is looking really amazing. It's already growing many decent size buds and it's only a couple weeks into flowering. I'm super excited. I'm still in the process of getting my grow room together, so for now the 3 plants are just in the closet, but it's perfectly adequate for just the 3 plants.

Growing in soil, with only the Fox Farms trio for nutes currently. Pretty much the plants had water alone for the first month then I started nutes slowly.

I just took a few cuttings off my best plant, for a few clones that I will just let root, and then flower them right away. I already have the plans for my next grow with some really nice seeds I got from Herbies. Any suggestions, or questions, feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

2. Loookin good!

3. Not half bad considering all the troubles the plants had from early on. lol. They would have been even bigger if I had them under decent light for the first month. I can't wait for harvest and next grow. I got some nice strains and have learned a lot by doing a grow. Definitely glad I tried with bag seed first so I could make mistakes. I actually feel pretty fortunate that I haven't made too many big mistakes, but did a couple things at less than ideal times. Overall I'm happy with this grow so far. Wish I didn't have to kill 5 plants though. lol. It's a shame. Next grow they will be all females. I also took about 8 clones from my best plant. Really I'm not expecting much, but I'm more just doing it so I know how to. Practice on the cheap bagseed. Plus it looks like pretty decent bud. It's looking like some nice skunky weed I had awhile back. I can't wait to see how much I end up with. That will go a long way in deciding how many plants I should do next run.

4. Looks good man, I'm subbed. What strains did you get?? Ps. I love Herbies, that's my bank of choice. Did you get the diesel freebie?

5. Yes, I'm still trying to figure out which seeds I want to do next, but I got a few different. I bought the Lemon Skunk (fem), White Rhino (fem), and Special Kush #1 (fem), and got freebies of: 1 - Diesel (fem), 2 - Sweet Deep Grapefruit (fem), and 5 Sleestack x Skunk (reg). Can't wait to try some of those out. I'm like a kid at a candy shop. lol.

6. bro look at the purple widow seeds i bought reg and only paid 2$ a seed. i also got dutch passion original blueberry reg (this is gonna be a forever plant)

7. That blueberry is good? Have never had it. There's a decent chance I'll end up keeping the Sweet Deep Grapefruit and taking clones. I have a feeling I'm going to really like that and the White Rhino. Realistically I'll like all of them but I'll have to take some cuttings of the Grapefruit because I only have 2 and I want to make some feminized seeds with a clone.

Also, what's Purple Widow? Never heard of that one. What's the seed company?

8. de sjamaan the purps x white widow - check it out. and bb is my fav strain thats y im keeping it forever. white rhino is one of the best strains ive smoked, top 3 for sure

9. Looks good man. Are there holes in the bottom of that home depot bucket? If not, you should definitely drill some. Having good drainage is important if you don't want to run into problems like root rot.

10. Of course I put holes in the bucket. My plants are well taken care of. If anything I check them too much, but at least I only look and don't hardly touch them unless they need something. With my setup I think I'll do awesome. Hard not to with a 1000W beast.

JFlow I haven't had White Rhino yet. All I know is that it looks amazing in the pictures. I'm super excited about the strains I got. Can't wait.

11. Glad to hear it man, just wanted to make sure. Keep up the good work!

12. Yup, I appreciate you looking out.

I'm so impatient about this. lol. I can't wait to get some good weed out of this. I'm still buying shitty stuff now. Anything I get from this run will be a nice treat though. Smoked all my life and never seen the stuff grow. lol. It's pretty neat to watch. Sucks waiting though.

13. Hey, I asked this in another thread, but I"ll ask in here since at least a couple people are subbed and maybe you'll know.

I constantly see people refer to Temp and Humidity. Obviously you don't want the humidity really high for mold problems, but is there a reason to aim for around 50% like most people do? My humidity has been running pretty low, and I'm just wondering if there's adverse affects to the humidity being low. I know how to raise it if I need to, but I"m just wondering why I should. Seems like less humidity will likely mean less chance of mold and mildew. What are the benefits of keeping the humidity around 50% as to say 30%, 20%, or even little to no humidity. Is there a problems with that, and my biggest question is why? I've heard many people say where you should keep the humidity, but no one says why. Obviously the humidity being high is a different issue, but I'm talking lower.

14. I think keeping humidity around 50% helps the plants stay happy and hydrated. If the environment they're in is low humidity then they will end up perspiring more and using more water. I'm not sure if this will cause any detrimental effects or whether you'll just have to water more.

One thing to keep in mind is that some people believe that a lower humidity environment in flower lends itself to higher THC production.

15. That's interesting. Haven't heard that before. Any idea where you heard that?

16. It would be very interesting to grow clones side by side in different tents with the only changed variable being the humidity. I wish I had the space.

17. Just now realized what you said. I wasn't talking about humidity for clones, just for regular plants that are grown and rooted.

18. You're misunderstanding this time, not last time. The reason I mentioned clones was because thats the only way to do an actual A/B test. If you use seeds it could just be genetic variation, where if you use clones the plants will be genetically identical.