First Grow Ever

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xnrxn, Aug 20, 2012.

1. #1 xnrxn, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    Hey grasscity :wave: xnrxn here!

I'm planning my first grow ever and I want to put this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79vGb5KZf_Y"]HOMEMADE HYDROPONIC BUBBLEPONIC SYSTEM[/ame] (Q1) in this: Rubbermaid CFL Stealth Grow with C99 (Q2). I plan on growing 2 plants at a time and am trying to keep the initial investment down to $300 not including the seeds.

SEEDS
    I ordered off of Attitude Seedbank after doing some reading around. These are currently in the mail (Q3):
    • 4 C99 seeds from "Female Seeds"
    • 3 Yumbolt 47 seeds from "World of Seeds Legend Collection"
    • 1 FEMINIZED UFO #1 Delicious Seeds Critical Sensi Star
    • FEMINIZED UFO #2 World of Seeds Sugar Mango Ryder Autoflowering
    Attitude says they are all feminized but we will see when they arrive.

RUBBERMAIDS
    Will be constructed with 2 or 3 containers with the roof or middle container having all of the installed components:
    • Ventilation: I plan on installing 1 120 mm fan as intake and 1 exhaust 80mm fan (Q4).
    • Lighting: I don't want to mess around with ballasts or anything of the sort so I'm restricting myself to 8 CFLs and 1 LED. I plan on putting the CFL's on 2 light fixtures parallel to each other with two strips from car sun reflectors over them to help adjust and direct the light towards the plant. I am attaching the LED to a rope so I can lift it as the plant grows. (Q5).
    • Reflection: I am lining the entire inside with mylar safety blankets I ordered off ebay.

BUBBLE BUCKET
    I'm going to assemble the bucket with items from Texas Hydroponics as they are in walking distance from my new apartment. I know this is probably a bad idea for a noob like myself but I would like to cut the process down to 3 months without sacrificing yield and my research has told me that this is the way to go.

GAMEPLAN
    This may seem dumb but I'm going to try to outline a guide for myself here and hopefully you guys will catch my mistakes and help me out.
    1. Germinate seeds with wet paper towels method.
    2. Plant seeds with Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil and grow until seedling and root system is healthy enough, OR grow in rockwell cube, to transfer plant to bubble bucket. (Q1)
    4. Vegetate in bubble bucket for 3-4 weeks under 18/6 lighting schedule. During this time, make a clone using a razorblade and rooting hormone and force the clone into a 12/12 cycle to see signs of its sex. If it starts developing pollen sacs, remove the plant and start over with another seed and hope it didn't mess up your results with other plants in the room.
    5. If the plants are female and of a virile size, begin the flowering process by going 12/12 (Q6).
    6. After 6 weeks, read Rumple's Simple Harvest and Curing Method and begin harvest when trichomes are appropriately colored.

QUESTIONS
    I have a couple questions so I have color-coded red the context of the questions throughout my post.
    (Q1): Is it worth putting 2 air stones in a bucket? What kind of nutrients should I use? Any suggestions to improve the bucket? It would be really awesome if someone could point me to a comprehensive link to a similar bucket grow including nutrient and technical information. Should I grow it in soil or the rockwell cube? How can I transfer the plant from soil to hydrotons without damaging the root system? What kind of maintenance is required for the bucket?
    (Q2): Should I stack my rubbermaids 3 high because of the bubble bucket? Or should I use an alternative method such as LST or Scrog (which I know nothing about)?
    (Q3): Which 2 strains should I start with first?
    (Q4): Is this enough ventilation? Will some small holes on the exhaust side help?
    (Q5): Bad idea? What LEDs or CFLs should I use? Is it too much or too little (I don't want to burn the plants)? What are some electrical issues I should be aware of?
    (Q6): Is this all you can do to force budding? Anything else I should know about the budding process?

If you guys have any suggestions or comments feel free to give me feedback. I will keep you guys posted with pics in a journal here after my gameplan is complete.

2. #2 xnrxn, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    Hey rob, if you're reading this is as a guide it's probably the wrong place to look since I am literally starting my first grow ever this thursday. However I think I may be able to link you to the transfer process.

This is the soil to hydroton method: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9gqLGyKMFI&feature=related"]soil to hydroton method[/ame] Don't be fooled by the video title, it's a setup and he also shows you how to transfer a plant. I think this method is a bit more risky since it's so easy to damage the root system when cleaning.

This is the rockwell cube method [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9iMGQFBVU"]rockwell cube method[/ame] This method means you went from step 1 of my gameplan but then put it into the rockwell cube. I think it would help to put the rooting hormone into the cube if you're gonna do it that way.

I'm probably going to do the cube method because it seems so much simpler.

Thanks for checking out my thread :smoke:

3. bump
    everyone who posts gets +rep