My first plant doesn't like food - why?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dma251, Jul 25, 2012.

1. #1 dma251, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    I'm now 15 weeks into my first plant - a white widow. I have had it planted in the medium sized smartpot with Happy Frog potting soil since it was germinated.

Every time I've tried to feed it anything - first 200ppm of FF GrowBig every other watering, then I switched to liquid fish at 200ppm, then every three waterings Now that it's blooming, I tried to feed it 200ppm FF Big Bloom with 100ppm Bloombastic. After each feeding It gets a couple of dry and crispy leaves with the edges folded up. Just a couple, but it worries me.

Whatever I do, it seems to prefer and do well with just the soil it was planted in. The guy at the store said Happy Frog soil was fairly high nute content.

Should I just stop messing with it? I check the ph of my watering runoff with the little strips that change color - seems to be staying at around 6.6-6.8.

Overall, how does my girl look?

Attached Files:

2. Typical sativa. They just don't like to eat much. For example, I have a heavy indica strain that can suck up 3 tablespoons of nutes per 2 gallon jug and still be hungry. While my sativa burns if I give her a whole tablespoon. I have to give her a half spoon per feeding, which is a fraction of the recommended amount. You just have to read what your plants tell you and ignore what the bottles say.

3. The plant looks healthy. What part of the plant are these coming from, upper or lower?
    pH is right on the money; could this be natural leaf drop from no light below the canopy? And you are paranoid about your baby (that's OK)?
    Doing nothing may be your best bet. If the leaves start yellowing, that's a signal to try the nutes again.

4. Mostly all are from the lower half. I doubt its from not getting enough light, because its very random where they turn up, and always surrounded by healthy leaves.

I am overly paranoid about it, I know. Its my first ever, and I've been religious about the care, and keeping a journal so I can track trends. Plus its sucked up plenty of my time and money, and I want to have it produce a really quality smoke.

5. The rest of the plant looks perfectly normal; no leaf spotting which would be evident if it were insects. I think you'll be fine. Mechanical damage from watering?
    Just to be safe, lay off the nutes entirely as long as it's healthy green.

6. Looks more like a PH problem than over nutrition. Those PH strips aren't very accurate, you should invest in a cheap PH pen.

A seedling can handle 200 ppm, so that's not what's causing the issue. I'd definitely say invest in a PH pen and check your feed water. Those strips aren't very accurate.

Your first photo looks like a phosphorus deficiency. Phosphorus is almost available completely from 6.0 PH all the way to 8 PH. Chances are your feeding your plants an acidic solution which is locking out phosphorus. I'll attach a chart so you can see the availability of nutrients and minerals, it'll make sense. The phosphorus drops off and is unavailable under 6.0.

[​IMG]

7. it's very possible that the happy frog has enough nutes left in it to carry your plant through to the end. if it's not asking for additional nutes, don't give it any. it def. looks healthy. maybe could be a little darker green. if you're ph'ing your feed/water, then that's covered. i "always" get a leaf here and there, that looks unhappy. i just pluck em. as for feeding, just wait till she asks for more, before you add any more.

8. #8 hope2toke, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    I doubt it's only a "pH" issue. The only way it would be Ph problem is if the microbean population in your soil was damaged or diminished for some reason. If you added chemical fertilizer to your soil, don't be surprised if it diminishes the Microbe- herd. A healthy soil will not cause any burning because lower fertilizer quantities give higher yields thanks to microbes. Hence, plants do not get burnt, and growth remains optimal. You don't have to take my word for it, but rest assured there are different ways of growing plants, it's up to you what the final result will look like. If you do take my word for it, then set the chem' nutes aside and instead give your plants some vermicompost and alfalfa meal next water. different effect than a bottled nute entirely and that easy.

9. Learn something new every day :D

I always wondered why my babies didn't take too well to higher doses. Haven't tried an indica dom yet though.

Peace :smoke:

10. Well, trouble continues.
    The top of my plant seems to be growing alright in its 3 week of bloom, but the bottom is having further yellowing and shriveling up of the lower leaves. Not many, but I can see other leaves that are starting to fade.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to afford a digital ph tester, I am still using the test strips. I do have a ppm meter though to measure my nutes.

I haven't fed it anything for a couple weeks, and tested the ph each time I water I test the run-off for ph, it has been 6.3, 6.6, 6.8 increasing. Today I watered it a little with a small amount of baking soda in the distilled water at ph 7.2. I water when my finger gets moist at the end about 1" down the soil. I water about ever 2-3 days. Am I watering too much?

Attached Files:

11. I've had the same issues with Happy Frog before, so I quit using it.

Let your pot dry completely out. 1'' down isn't dry enough. Wait until the soil is dry enough that it pulls away from the sides of your pot. It'd be simple to just not water until you see some droop in the higher leaves, from there you can estimate the best time when to water. If it droops in 5 days, water around 4.

12. Oh, this plant is frustrating me... Still haven't bought a ph meter, but I will try to get a cheap one tomorrow. (money is very tight right now).

I keep testing my ph with the spa strips, and am consitently getting 6.6-6.8 from two different brands of strips. I know, they aren't very accurate, but it's the best I can do right now.

The flowering stage seems to be doing well, but I am noticing more yellowing leaves, and some dried up ones here and there as well. The leaves always curl upwards, and I haven't given it any food since the for 3 weeks. also, I am letting it get drier then I used to between waterings. Last time I watered was 4 days ago, and its still damp, so maybe part of my problem was overwatering.

My book, the cannabis growers bible says I may have a magnesium deficiancy, so I am having my wife pick up some epsom salts today as the book suggests. Any idea how much? I mix my water one gallon at a time. It also suggests that maybe my potassium is low. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

13. any issues you're having are beyond my ability to diagnose....just wanted to say, that is a very pretty plant. you've definitely done your homework.

I'd just trim a lot of that funny looking very lowest growth. It's tough to get much light down there indoors and my experience is the good buds come out stronger with some trimming. many people advise differently though, lots of different advice out there, best is to just experiment and learn :D

the digital display ph "pens" are the way to go, but those cheap ebay ones often cause more problems than they solve. reason being, they are far more likely to be greatly inaccurate and/or imprecise. The advertised specs are likely erroneous or plainly misleading, and the so-called adjustment trimmer probably induces highly non-linear, unpredictable changes. just my experience from testing similarly priced meters. and making conclusions from bad data lead to... well, both you and the plant will become confused!
    I use a Hanna brand pen, but there are plenty of quality meters/other brands. You really want something that calibrates, preferably automatically. Then you also have to buy a couple bottles of calibration fluid, and check up on it periodically. even good ones need to be recal here and there too. IMO you should expect to invest at least 100ish+ to really have confidence in pH data. again, lots of different advice. plenty of gorgeous plants grown without $100 meters... in chemicals. but many factors enter into that... okay rambling ending.

You could grow organically and eliminate the need to monitor soil pH.

14. DMA, I'm willing to bet a big blunt fattie to a doughnut, all you are seeing is a plant's natural tendency to drop its lower leaves when the upper canopy blocks most of the light. Eventually almost all of your lower leaves will do that. The tops of your plants are too healthy for it to be anything else.
    Your pH has continued to be in the good range.
    If you don't trust your pH strips, buy a bottle of reagent drops - General Hydroponics makes a very good one. It's only precise to a range of about 0.5, but you can get plenty close enough to not get into any lockout conditions. I've used the stuff for entire grows with absolutely no problems, but then again, I know my plants and what they "want". But the reagent drops will keep you out of trouble.
    And follow Ohspyro's recommendations for watering less frequently.
    And Growbot's idea that your soil may have enough nutes to carry you through a grow.
    Use water pH'ed at 6.5 to 6.8, check your runoff, and next time adjust the pH of your water if you need to get the runoff up or down. Soil grows will tolerate a range of 6.3 to 7.0 with no adverse effects; you want to target the middle range of 6.5 to 6.8 to be optimal.

Even the top leaves will begin to curl and yellow as the plant goes further into bloom - I usually see this about 6 weeks into bloom - the big top fan leaves first, followed by the little finger leaves that grow directly out of the bud. By this time I'm checking trichrome color every couple of days and getting my scissors sharpened.

BTW, I ALWAYS trim off the very bottom branches / suckers of my grow once the canopy fills in and blocks the light (same symptoms you are seeing). Those small stunted branches, leaves and teeny immature buds do nothing but rob strength from the rest of the plant, and you end up throwing them away anyway.

You're doing a good job. As long as the tops continue to grow and appear healthy, that's all you want. Pat yourself on the back & don't worry so much.

Bestaluck to ya.

15. Thanks Olde School, [​IMG]That really gives me some confidence and I will relax. First grow, trying to research the hell out of it and do it as well as I can. I never realized that it was such a time and patience consuming project, but I have gotten a real sense of satisfaction from this. I didn't realize that to do it right with drying and curing, it's a 4-5 month process. That's what makes me get so worried about every little thing. I've got so much invested in it.

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm gonna leave it alone, cut my watering a bit, and be patient. You guys are great!

16. I too doubt what you're seeing is nutrient burn. Since only the bottom leaves are turning brown, it's probably because of lack of light, as OS pointed out, and maybe you're also getting some wind burn from the fan(noticed you have your fan on the bottom blowing upwards). What is your humidity like?

17. What would be a good sign of wind burn? Anyone have a visual possibly?

18. Humidity seems to stay right about 60% Temp around 65-75 f.

Should I turn off the fan and just rely on the can fan exhaust ? I have it set on a variable speed/time control, at lowest setting to keep temps consistant. I can also raise and lower humidity by adjusting exhaust fan speed.

19. Nah leave the fan on. Since your humidity is @ 60% I don't think it's wind burn from the fan. Even if it was, it's not a big deal. More than likely lack of light at the bottom of the plant.