For Beginners - Hermies In Action

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DierWolf, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Here you go guys, should be stickied i think so New growers can see what a Hermie looks like and how it operates.

Pictures show Hermie Plant (Both Male and Female). Most of you would throw this plant out of your grow area because you do not want it to pollenate the rest of the crop. I personally keep these outside and let it bud out, nothing wrong with it other than it pollenating itself and having seeds in the bud (I'm sure everyone on here has bought bag weed that smoked pretty damn good but had seeds in it)

I usually also collect some of the banana's/Pollen and keep them in the freezer and cross pollenate to make new strains, for instance i pollenated my lower buds on my PPP's and Bob Marleys with Supergirl, Guess i would call them Pure Power Girl and Marly's Bitch :)

Pictures show the Male Flower Pod (Looks like a Yellow banana), with extreme closeup showing even the Very Tiny (about the size of a grain of taclum powder) Pollen in the sack.

Also shows the Female bud, and hairs that were pollenated by itself and the resulting seed sacks.

Enjoy.

PS (one of the plants from the Supergirl from Nirvana, you could be as careful as god with 100% Fem seeds but this will happen dont care what you do)

Attached Files:

2. thats pretty cool man! never seen what a hermie looks like

3. if have a male hermi can that be grown and harverted

4. great thread... also the best pics ive ever seen... so clear... very detailed... +rep

5. Nice! I guess that answers the question about whether hermies can pollenate themselves lol. Could you give an idea of how old that plant was? I'd like to see a picture somewhere in the 6-8 weeks range if possible to determine what it looks like at the earliest possible chance for determining the sex of plants. +rep

6. Thnx, thats a great post with amazing pics. You can actualy see the little pollen grains, thats crazie..

7. you like that huh :)

as for the person that asked for pics at 6-8 weeks, i only let this one grow and pollen burst and some seeds to form so i could take pictures for this thread after that it was killed..

8. thats insane. i wish i knew how to +rep.
    much love

9. damn dier, great little informative thread again.

STICKY THIS SHIT!

10. very detailed pictures man. Thanks, + rep.

11. props, +rep for clearing this up for the newbies who dont know what to do, and pics and labeling, nice bro

12. I have 2 questions:

1a)lets say I have a really nice plant that I want to grow, but has been mistreated and hermied on me. If I clone this plant will it too be a hermie?
    1b)If I start a clone in veg, before I find out its a hermie, will it hermie?

2) Somebody told me that if I self-polinate a hermied female, all of the offspring will be female. Is this true?

I searched around for answers to this, but didn't find any answers to those exact questions. Plus I thought it would be nice to have it centralized in this thread, where noobs, like me, go to get info on hermies.

13. Nice sticky dier;) good for the up and commin' growers

I happen to have a hermie growing right now,its about to be killed but i will snap a pick for all to see.

This is a hermie at its young stage,2 weeks into flowering
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 1 &2) Yes if you clone it it will be a hermie and if you seed it same thing.. b) Hermies are usually caused by stress or lighting issues, so if you have already cloned it b4 you know, but the mother has been through lots of stress there is a possibility that it will be a female.. This is from my experiences..

15. I recently had a situation where a hermaphrodite went unnoticed and pollinated everything else. Nothing wrong with a couple of extra seeds, but my question is I heard that these seeds are useless. Is this true??? What happens with a hermaphrodite pollinates your standard female??? I hope this is not a total loss.,:confused:

16. The seeds from a hermaphrodite plant will make plants that are
    1 female
    2 hermaphrodites

This is a process of making feminized seeds. However the genitics from the seeds are never to be used for mothers f2 or f3 crossing. basically in the right conditions your seeds will produce mainly females that can be used for 1 crop ( bud production). stressing plants hard too see wich ones stay female is an excellent way of finding strong genitics for hybrids etc. indica strains are easier to use when doin this.

So carry on with the seeds just keep conditions and lighting optimal and a very close eye on them and you will have a fine crop from em.

17. Great thread! So helpful!

1) How common are hermies really? Does this happen often or rarely (>5% of the time?)

2) How much "stress" does it take before a plant goes hermie? Is this usually caused by over fertilizing? Underwatering? What's the main stressor?

3) Can ALL female plants become hermaphrodite under enough stress or just certain ones preinclined to be?

18. First time poster =) , question is for Dier. I was have heard (dont know for shure) that irregular photoperiods will turn plants into hermies. Is this true or false?

19. My only question is this ... and i am dieing to know

what is the process you use or how in the hell :laughing: do you keep the pollen sacks and impregnate a female? that shit is amazing....wow.... you can make any hybrid you want

please tell me how :laughing: