The Definitive iolite Vaporizer Review

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Swisha Militia, May 5, 2010.

1. #1 Swisha Militia, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
    If I told you that I have a device that will get you high anywhere you want, get you 4 sessions for the price of 1 bowl, give you the ability to select between a head or body high, all the while being completely harmless to your lungs: Would You Believe Me?

Before I bought my iolite vaporizer, I read several reviews on the product from grasscity and other sites. I wanted to post my own review so that others can become informed on what I feel is an excellent product.

I purchased my iolite on eBay for 140.00$ including shipping and handling.
    I am using Vector brand 5x's filtered butane.
    I will be using this vaporizer for weed use as well as tobacco.

The iolite definitely looks very inconspicuous. Any passer by with no knowlege of the product would think that you are using a walkie talkie, handheld radio ect. The unit looks a little cheap, but it is actually an extremely well built machine. I have heard reports that the internal theromstat that regulates the temperature is the same one that is used in the Volcano Vaporizer.

When I first fired my iolite up, there was a strange smell coming out of the ports, as well as a tiny bit of smoke. I am thinking this might be due to the first time that the catalytic converter recieved the fuel, and just needed a bit of breaking in. After the first time, this is no longer an issue, now when I start it, it is completely odorless and smokeless. I have read a lot of reports that talk about how important it is to use quality butane fuel. I got lucky and found a headshop that sells Vector brand premium butane, which is reccomended by the makers of the iolite. A very large can of Vector ran me about 5 dollars, very tolerable considering how little fuel it takes to fill the iolite. I noticed that a five second charge of butane is lasting me over an hour. The one problem that I have not solved is when filling the iolite, there is not a great seal between the butane can and the filling pin, which leads ice cold butane to spray a bit. This is not a major issue, but I would like to somehow solve the problem. I am imagining that this bottle of butane will last me a very long time. Some people report that their unit takes a very long time to heat up, I do not find this to be the case at all. For me about 45 seconds is all that it takes to heat up. Again, I feel that the Vector butane is important for both the start up time, as well as a prompt ignition. Others have reported having to push the piezo button hundreds of times for their unit to start up. If this is the case, I would return your unit or use a better quality fuel. My unit takes 1-3 sparks to light up. The sound of the iolite is a lot softer than I was expecting. I would compare the hissing noise to a torch lighter, or someone spraying some air freshner. People in other rooms will not be able to hear it hissing.

In terms of vapor quality, I have used other vaporizers in the past, and the iolite is on par with the rest of them. I noticed when smoking bud, the vapor is not very dense compared to tobacco vapor. A chamber of tobacco will allow you to puff clouds, smoke rings ect. With the weed, you can see some vapor, but not as thick as it is with tobacco.
    The taste of some good bud through the iolite is truly amazing. People do not appreciate the essence of their herb when smoking it. When good bud is vaporized, the aroma that you taste is extremely sweet and candylike. Some strains will have fruity flavors, others might taste like a minty-pine cone taste. Its just amazing, I have no other way to describe the taste appreciation you will see when vaporizing.

In terms of efficiency, Wow! I packed a small bowl of bud about the size of an M&M candy and vaped for about 15-20 minutes with my girlfriend. For the first 5-10 the vapor was consistently flavorful. Around the 15 minute mark, you could tell that the taste was not there anymore. I emptied the bowl out, and much to my surprise the bud was very light brown colored with some trichomes still visible. I have heard that a lot of people save this and use it in cooking, or you could even smoke it (it might taste terrible). This cooked weed still has some cannabinoids in it that are only released at temperatures exceeding 375 degrees. These cannabinoids provide the sedative, painkiller effect of weed.

In terms of the high, definately a head high. The high very much sneaks up on you. You will be relaxing enjoying the delicious taste of your weed and all of the sudden you will catch yourself five minutes later faded. The high is very functional, you do not have a sense of couchloch, you can easily do work, think/problem solve, philosophize, communicate ect. Some people do not like vaporizers because they "dont get high enough" To them, I say: Why wouldn't you want to have the ability to dictate what type of high you get? Of course, sometimes I want to feel intoxicated and couch locked, but other times I enjoy having great convesations, having a functional short term memory, and being able to articulate my thoughts. If you want to feel fucked up and intoxicated, then smoke or eat the already vaped bud. Besides, you get high 4 times potentially for the price of 1 bowl! To the nay-sayers, go smoke your bud, get high once off of it one time and compromise your health.

Overall, I am thrilled with this purchase.The unit will eventually pay for itself because of the amount of bud you save. The amount of places that you can take the iolite is up to your imagination. The ability to have clear headed highs, saving your lungs, and saving a ton of money on bud all make this purchase a no-brainer.

I have not done much testing in terms of how much the unit smells. I will write a follow up section when I do some real testing on this because I know a lot of people are sitting back contemplating if they could use the iolite in a particular situation (parents, roommates ect)

-Nick

2. It sounds like you enjoy you Iolite as much as I do! I've had mine for about 3 months I guess now and I dont know what I would do without it....I use nibo 3x refined butane and never had any problems...I couldnt find Vector around here anywhere...I have heard nearing the end of the can of butane can cause the Iolite to sputter a little but I haven't experienced that yet...

Good Review! Enjoy!

3. Awesome review man! And at $140 you got a really good deal on yours.

Look forward to more product reviews from you :).

4. At first I thought this was going to be spam, since you have one post, but that was a pretty good review. You may have convinced me to buy one... I was on the edge!

Definitely one of these over one with a whip?

5. Depends, where do you want to use it? If you want to be mobile go with the iolite. If you want to mostly vape indoors then look into something else that does bags/whips. I own the Arizer Extreme Q vape (does bags and whips), and I absolutely love it. Couldn't be happier, best $220 I've ever spent!

But in terms of a portable vape, the iolite is where it's at.

6. Yea i completely agree that the vape works awesome when it works. After the first day i had fallen in love, called it darther vaper, because its blACK and the exhaust system sounded like vader breathing hah. but the butane release is inconsistent, and my spark button does not work. i can no longer get it to light after about 4 days, and after reading some people who have to utilize the warranty...its not very efficient. im looking at about a month before hopefully i get a new working vaporizer. so it works, but buyer beware!

7. Hey guys just wanted to give a heads up that I posted some tips over in the Problems with the Iolite thread. For the guy with the ignition button problem, I hope you've been pressing it SLOWLY each time, because I have a feeling it will wear down quickly if you are slamming it on a regular basis.

Device definitely has drawbacks but it's pretty neat and has worked well for small groups (3 or less).

8. I am having much trouble lately igniting my Iolite vaporizor. This trouble is new - having used the unit since last October without incident. any suggestions?
    Thanks

9. Try turning the Iolite on, and letting it run for about 20 seconds. Then press the button very slowly, and hold it in. If it doesn't light, release the button and try it again in about 5 seconds.

If that doesn't work, you could probably contact the manufacturer and find out if they may be able to replace or repair your ignition, either under warranty or for a small fee.

10. stop commenting on any iolite thread ever created

11. I have a lot of love for the iolite but has anyone had one in operation for more than two years? My experience with it has been this: When I first ordered the unit it only ran at about half capacity or less of what they advertised (2hrs per fill). Iolite replaced the unit but now the one they replaced it with has died after a little over a year. I contacted iolite and was told that because the original purchase date was over two years ago I'm SOL. Not very nice as the replacement unit should've had the better part of a year's worth of warranty on it. Since they're being dicks about it I got a Launch Box instead. However, I'm not as impressed with this unit despite the fact that it does not hiss or use butane. It's just not as economic as the iolite for use. I can vape for a good half hour on a single bowl with the iolite and get good, strong vape for the bulk of that time often whereas the launch box maybe 10 minutes, if I'm lucky. And you have to remember to push the battery in and out because if left in it will burn your herb. Ultimately, it doesn't heat it evenly and slowly enough to provide for sustained vaping. The relatively few hits it does provide are decent though. I just wish it had a timed heating element that eliminated the need to pull the battery out all the time. I'd like to get another iolite but not if it's just going to go kaput after the warranty expires. Any ideas and input will be appreciated.

12. Is the Arizer Solo worth the extra money as compared to the Iolite?

13. I have an iolite as well.

I'm not a fan of conduction-based convection(which is what the iolite uses.)

And I also beleive their are many portable vapes out there that use pure convection.

I'm trying to sell mine and invest in a convection-based vape.

the iolite's good, it's just not that efficient.

14. I bought a classic Iolite vaporizer on Amazon for roughly $100 while limited colors were on sale for ridiculously cheap. At first, I was extremely excited as I'm quite fond of my Volcano vaporizer. All in all, I'm not as impressed as I had hoped I would be and would likely invest in a new portable vaporizer as there's a lot of new models from various companies to choose from.

Any suggestions for my next portable vape purchase?

15. /bump

Good question. Any answers?

16. [quote name='"killmockingbird"']Is the Arizer Solo worth the extra money as compared to the Iolite?[/quote]

Fuck yea

17. Well had my Lolite Vaporizer for about a year. I can honestly say that I am very disappointed in it. Swisha Militia must work for the must work for the company. It does not perform as mentioned. I find the plastic construction to be crude at best. When ever I need to lite mine I have to make sure the bowl is pressed tightly in and hold it there or it will not work. It does not work out doors in cold weather, it just will not heat up enough. The other problem is there is no lock on the bowl. When it gets passed around people inevitably pick it up by the tube which of course comes free, letting your weed and the vaporizer fall to the floor. This is significant as you can loose a lot of weed. I also find it very hard to clean. For something that is not supposed to allow any harmful tar into your lungs it sure does collect a lot in the tube. After a while the tubes will not come apart. Another annoying thing is that you can not use it everyday. After a while you will undoubtedly get crack lip. Which requires several days to heal before using again. High is not as delivered and is some what a waste of good weed. I am a real Medical Cannabis user. The high provided by the lolite is not enough to control my pain and seizures. The lack of performance is to blame. I would never waste my money on one if I was thinking of purchasing a portable vaporizer, the lolite is over priced and fails to perform as needed.

18. Old thread, but yeah, the Iolite was my least favorite vape that I have ever had or tried.