Classic vs. Digital - Volcano Vaporizer Question

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by iSmoker, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Hello guys,

With the holiday season coming up, I am thinking about getting a vaporizer for Christmas, and I have my mind set on the bag style. My roommate at college just got a V-Tower and I like the bag much better, but I want to get the Volcano because I am set on it, and have heard good things about it. I did a search for this and couldn't find anything but:

I want to know what the pros and cons are of the Classic vs. Digital. I can afford both just by being patient and saving up, but I heard mixed things, and I don't want to waste my money, but I want to get it sooner then later.

Any comments, suggestions, things to read, anything is fine..

Thanks guys!

2. I'm not entirely sure that the extra cost for the Digital is all that worth it. Yes, the temps are much more stable and there is less of an error (+/- 3 degrees or so, rather than like 8 for the classic), BUT it comes at a cost. I don't think they heat up all that fast either.

NOW - the real choice is between Solid and Easy valve, and having used both, I can clearly say that the Easy Valve is much easier to use, AND if you want a whip, just get yourself some 5/8" Vinyl Tubing fits PERFECTLY over the stem

3. Thanks for your input Will. I think I am going to get the Classic, because everyone tells me that it really isn't worth spending more money, and the classic works just as well. I also plan on getting the easy valve, my friend said that it is so easy, and that it's the best.

I'll also have to try out the whip, and see if I can get it to work for me.

4. The heat up - classic wins by a LITTLE bit.. I have a digit and I will confirm that the Digits break down easier/sooner, but I left mine plugged in overnight so I had it coming. The thing is - the support down in Oakland -CA where you send in the repairs, they are really chill about warranty. I just walked in, since it was local, and all they asked - what happened? whats the problem? I filled out a form with my name/address and in 30 minutes - they come outside and call me in. It's all fixed, no charge, no proof(receipt) needed, here are 2 boxes of volcano bag for free and good day. Since then (maybe a year or longer) nothing has happened, it operates fine.

Classic
    - Heats up faster by a LITTLE
    - more reliable I guess
    Digit
    - allows custom temperature but at 130$ more (main website)
    - has been reported to break down easier

other than that dude, its not really a big difference. just the custom temp vs preset temps.

5. I can echo the greatness of their customer service. I had one of the original rivet/screws fall out on mine, I emailed them, and they sent me a complete replacement kit with a specialty wrench, in days.

Now I just need a replacement foot.

Next time I'm up in the Bay Area, I'd love to hit their location, I wonder if they give tours?

6. Good to hear these things fellas... Thanks

7. Yeah, the primary downfall of the digit is it takes the *very* reliable rock solid construction and design of the volcano, and adds in electronics that can and will fail... Not worth it to me on general principle, took me about a month to really "Understand" the volcano, now its easy to get whatever kind of dose I want out of it, be it a medicating low heat dose or a high heat "get stoned as hell" dose

8. Yeah, I think I am going to just go with the classic. All of the points that people have been making are legit, and I don't want to get the digital and then a year later the LCD screen messes up.

Any other comments or concerns GC?

9. great stuff. my friends in the same boat. i've been lookin into it for him and found some good stuff here. can't wait til he gets it though :smoke:

10. Which one has he been looking at? Anything to add brotha?

11. naw we mainly were lookin into the valve systems. but figured that out but im gonna mention to him about the digital possibly faulting out on him. i see you're reppin VA :wave:

12. Oh nice man. Yeah I think I am going to go with the classic and then the easy valve. I have heard the easy valve is were its at, and it just so friendly and easy to use.

I am reppin' the VA brotha. I am actually in NC right now going to college but I live in VA about an hour from Richmond. I saw you picked up that nice RooR from Kultures, I am going to get my Volcano from them around Christmas time. They got great stuff, and they are all great guys.

I haven't seen dank bud like that around my area though, where you at?

13. #13 E-Bud, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
    yea my dude was thinkin our local headshop or kultures to grab his at. but seen some nice places online too. just can't figure the prices. we keep seeing different things. i swear i saw digi volcanos for $550 or something and regs for $450 or less. price check on isle Blazed please. cuz i keep seeing the digis for $650 and regs for $550 places too. can someone clear up the prices for me?

and yea we're up near NOVA but most of our stuff comes from the RVA. cali chrons anf wat not. hate the prices but its either that or the dirt haha. reminds me of the other day.

chillin at a friends house (the dude thats actually lookin into a volcano). he had 2 friends over smokin a blunt before i came over. one of the dudes just happend to be carrying some of his "mids" with him. hahaha. peeped it and it looked decent. lol we seshed on some chron and the dude ended up leavin his bag on top of my friends shoes. so we weigh it and all and its 24g somehow. there was a palm size flat stem laced patty that weighed just under a half haha. sometimes i wonder how people can smoke on that. its one thing to smoke mids but damp pressed dirt mids arent for me :confused:

mmmmm :hippie: actually just took a rip a few minutes ago. i love the after taste of chronic. i love when u get to eat little bits of it off your fingers, it always leaves my mouth tasting like the bud i just smoked. ewwww i'd hate to do that with mids

14. Yeah. I think you are getting confused because you can buy a classic without anything, just the Volcano for 420, and the digital for like 550 I think. But it doesn't come with anything, no valve system, no bags, no nothing. Even if you were to buy both separately, it would still equal out to the classic being $539.00, and the digital being $669.00.

I am going to have to talk to some of my people that live up in the RVA area to try and pull some heads. All I get in VA is just some regular mids. They are still like mad legit, nothing bad, but its not name brand or sweet looking buds. But at college in NC we got some good dank buds going through so I see all sorts of stuff.

15. as a owner of a a classic solid valve but with friends who have digitals and easy valves, i would say only get the easy valve is u are lazy as hell.

oven bags can be used as cheap replacements. like a dollar or two for two bags at any grocery store. you can clean the unit and solid valve as much as you want with rubbing alcohol and u can control bag size. there is like turkey sized and another size. or u can buy the expensive volcano company bags. i have had friends that have had 10 foot bags.

sure u can do the oven thing with the easy valve but its much more hastle and a do it yourself project. and the replacement easy vavle things are not cheap. only thing cool is if u have like 2 people and each person gets there own bag filled.

over time the bag collects resin and will turn brown. you will notice a huge difference in taste when this occurs (it also means you have been lazy). u will begin to love those first couple of bags on a low temp as u can really taste high end greenery. and have no fear, u get to smoke it a ton (200+ bags easily b4 this browning of the bag occurs.

16. also myself and one other kid are the only people i know to have a classic break. mine took a nasty fall this halloween and the other kids was 8 years old and has spent most of its life on.

i know 4 friends who have had digitals break.

welcome to the club

17. Thanks for your input man. :smoke:

18. #18 blazedd, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
    yeah dude, it depends on location. i straight up went to a headshop in Hawyard and bought mine for like 670 w/tax. This was like right when I started smoking, so I had no idea about any other headshops/prices/what a headshop even was.

I've seen medical clubs sell Classics for 420. (thats with the valve too)
    and I have also seen clubs sell Digits for 550. (thats with the valve too)

From the site or probably any smokeshop, is going to be around the prices on their actual site- 670 and 540.

Also - sadly I have learned that there are ways to make your own sized bags with the Easy Valve.
    http://vapenow.com/images/pshoots/ps20070925ev/
    But I still suggest solid :p

19. yea thats wat i kinda figured haha. theres a bunch of places like that for cameras and stuff. camera Body Only type stuff no lens haha. just been too blazed and lazy to check into it. just makin sure the local shop wasnt bustin heads :bolt:

nice link.yea hes probably going easy valve. even more now that i've seen that. but still the question is classic or 1 bone more for the digi :cool:

20. +1 for solid classic :)