New Arizer Solo Mod

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Wilsonlab, Aug 30, 2013.

1. #1 Wilsonlab, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
    First post on grasscity, shared this on 420magazine forum, 150 views later and not a single response.  Thats not the kind of forum I'm looking to be a part of.  Anyway, I've been doing a lot of r&d with the arizer solo and I have some nice hints/tips/mods to share with you all.  Before I type up everything I want to share my favorite mod.

For this mod to be the most effective you have to grind your bud up VERY fine.  I load my grinder and hold it upside down and grind, shake, grind, repeat until it looks like about 25% keif with the rest still very fine.

If you own a solo there's a pretty good chance you already put a screen in your stem(s) to keep the pull through/scoobs out of your mouth.  I messed with different screen setups and came up with a mod that allows you to use less bud, vape longer, and get just as high (I think higher).  

I run a dual screen setup which essentially acts as a dual chamber bowl.  Heres what you do: run a fine screen (smaller holes) in the bottom of the stem.  Fill the stem to only about 15% full with the finest ground (mostly keif) bud.

While browsing lowes I came across some garden hose filters which can be found in the plumbing section in a pack of 3 for like $2.79.  Whats great about these is that they are designed to be inside a garden hose so they're stainless steel.  They have to be cut and shaped a little but what makes these so different is that they are dome shaped.  Place the second screen in the stem/bowl over the finely ground bud.  Make sure that there is plenty of empty space between the bud on the bottom and the "inside" of the dome shaped screen. Here is a pic of the stem loaded with the finely ground weed and the dome shaped screen on top of it:[​IMG]
    As you can see the dome screen takes up a lot of space inside the bowl so you can use far less weed.  Afterward fill the bowl the rest of the way so it looks like this. [​IMG]
    This creates a dual chamber bowl, you get a lot more air flow and circulation.  I've used the dual screen setup a few times now and every time its simply amazing.  I weigh out an allowance of 0.3g of bud each day and I can pack the bent stem bowl about 4-6 times.  One stem makes me feel amazing, 2 stems and I'm SAILING!!

What else is great about this...after learning how to use the solo I could usually vape the full 12 minutes (auto shutoff is 12 min) before it was kicked.  With this setup you're still blowing decently flavored clouds when it shuts off.  Now I turn it back on and vape another 3-5 minutes before its done.

It's great!  I set the solo on 3 and vape away, then turn it up to 4. By this time pull out the stem and observe your bud.  The top layer will be nicely browning while the stuff on the bottom will still be green.  Its almost as if you get to vape 2 bowls...at the same time near the end.  Slowly kick up the temperature every 2-5 pulls (depending on how big they are).  

Anyone who has experience with the solo will know that by now the vape is starting to get thinner and thinner.  With this setup you'll be surprised when 8-10 minutes in you're still pulling some pretty thick vapor.

I have some more thoughts, hints, tips for the solo that I will share later.  Hopefully you guys/girls can try it and tell me what you think.  

2. Been using a DBV screen in mine for the past month or so and I love it. The thing barely fits in there but it creates a nice dome effect like in your picture. A typical bowl pack for me now is less than a 0.2 and has about 0.025-0.05grams of hash in it(guestimate but its about what I take in a hit). i can get 3 solid vape sessions out of one bowl now with usually a 12 minute session at 3 or 4 then I stir it and do the next one at 4 or 5 and finally I finish it off at 6 or 7. It never stops hitting thick at all throughout any of the sessions(they are usually done back to back to back) so i just stop when it turns of after the 3rd session, but the flavor usually is getting bad by then.

I do notice a pretty significant decrese in performance by the 2nd session though if I dont use hash in the bowl.

3. give the dual screen setup a try.   17 minutes into the same bowl, still blowing clouds

4. I use dual screens, but i do a domed one in the bottom and a flat one on top of that, bowl is tiny doing this. All my vapes are nearly black in 2-3 hits. Should be no need to ever remove the screens except for cleaning when doing this where your removing screens after every bowl. In my opinion the smaller bowl size is key, no need to stir. I almost exclusively use my solo with a glass on glass attachment

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Can I get some feedback on this?  I'm considering the solo, but have seen this idea of needing to modify it in some way to get the best performance out of it.

I'm looking for easy-breezy in whateverI choose to purchase.  Is the screen standard?  How easy is the solo to clean? (I like to keep my stuff very clean.)  
    Thanks.

Screen is not standard, you have to buy your own stainless steel screens. Not saying it doesn't have something to catch weed (it has a glass screen with 4 holes in it nowadays), but I usually like to use a screen. I don't dome my bowl simply because I like to pass it back and forth a few times instead of hit hit reload hit hit reload.

Solo is super easy to clean. Let the stem soak in iso alcohol (90% or higher works best) for a few hours and then shake it up, most of it should come off. Finish it off with a good scrape from a paper clip and it'll be like new. The unit doesn't get nearly as dirty as the bowl is the glass stem. Every couple of times you clean the stem, you can take a q tip, dip it in iso, and swab that bad boy up (just hold the unit upside down so you don't get any inside it). After that's done, just turn it on to 7 for a couple minutes to make sure there's no iso on there anymore. :wave:

7. That is an odd looking setup you've created there. It is, at the least, interesting. This reminds me of the mesh screen pad that the Plenty vaporizer needs to use when packed lightly. I guess if it's good enough for Storz & Bickel, it's probably not a bad idea.

8. What width screens do you use for this?

9. #9 joe grow, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
    I second this question.

I've been using a screen that I've had to bend up at the edges, but instead of a dome I made it more like a flat base with sides that folded up. I was assuming that I wouldn't want to make the chamber much smaller (although it has done slightly), but having read this it's more logical that I'd want it smaller I guess.
    Going to have to give this dual screens set up a go some time!

Also, does anyone have the turbo stem (or whatever it's called)? How is it? The technique described here actually sounds better.

Although I can't answer the width question, I have an opinion on the aftermarket stems. The draw restriction is there for a reason.

11. I would be careful with commercially available screens, like out of a hose??. Typically these screens are not meant for any type of heat contact or you know people using them as screens. Also these screens are usually run through acids and solvents before release from factory. Some of these acids and solvents can combust or vaporize at under 200degC. My recommendation is to hole the screen with a set of scissors and burn it for 10-25 seconds, if the screen goes red hot with no issues you'll be fine, if it burns green or blue, I would discard and not use. 

12. does anyone know if there is a water stem addon in the works? i saw it for another handhelp vape and thought it was pretty neat. i know its not really necessary but it moistens up the hit a bit

13. was it the pinnacle pro?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4jBDRoV4w

i bought the solo about a month before this beauty came to market. i do not regret my decision at all, the solo is amazing. i just want both of them now...

as for solo water stems, i'm not sure... sorry if quoting you got your hopes up... it's a neat idea though and is certainly demand for such a product!

just trying out this dual screen method this morning. been vaping for about 15 minutes and i've only just switched up to level 5. still getting good hits. definitely going to keep using and refining this method from now on! thanks Wilson!

i just used a screen that was slightly too wide and slowly moulded it round the end of my little finger to create a dome without having to cut it down or create slits to bend it into a cone.

however, one thing i would say about this method is - being that it is such effective vaping technique, and being that there's another screen in your stem you're not used to having to remove - adopting this method is likely to cause you to burn your fingers trying to empty it in the stoned stupor it will enduce. haha

14. Oh geez, this is old, but most certainly gold thread. I for one can most definitely say, that this mod is amazing. I just got my Arizer Solo today, and this mod is one of the primary reasons I purchased this amazing vape. I had read quite a few reviews about how pulls kinda suck (no pun intended), so I looked up how to make it better and boom! Of course there are other attachments for it, but with stock glassware it's amazing. Haven't vaped without the screens yet, but it just works so well this way I don't think I will. Saves a hella lot of herb too, it's amazing! :thankyou: