My first vape and vape review - the davinci vaporizer

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by TwysterMyster, Apr 9, 2012.

1. #1 TwysterMyster, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    I hope this is the right place for this :)

The davinci is my first vaporizer and I really like it.

When I first ordered, I had been researching and seeing what was out there. I'm not a heavy smoker, but still wanted to see what all the fuss was about. At the age of 40, I decided it was time for a lifestyle change, so changed my eating and exercise habits. I quit drinking and decided to start vaping versus smoking.

I looked at the Arize and Iolite, then saw some buzz about the davinci on FC. My intrigue got the better of me and I decided to say "eff it" and order.

The davinci arrived fast and came in a nice tin box, wrapped with a cardboard sleeve. I took off the sleeve and opened the box and there it was. I had seen pictures of it, but saw one looking up at me. At first glance, it looked like a walkie talkie. I took it out of the box and it felt "heavy". I didn't know what to expect, but am glad it wasn't a cheap piece of plastic (I had read some bad reviews of other vapes). There was a black foam form holding it and the straw. The straw screws into the top. I screwed it in and I'm generally not one to read manuals, but figured in this case, I had just spent $250. I wasn't going to break it or screw it up right out of the box.

The top foam part lifted out and underneath was the charger, manual, some extra screens and 2 little barrels (the rep on FC called them oil cans).

The unit was already charged when I got it, so I didn't have to wait any longer :)

I opened the lid on the davinci and looked into the chamber. It looked sort of small. Under the lid was a brush that slid out and a little rubber (silicone?) door with a small compartment behind it.

Under the lid, where the straw goes, was another chamber that unscrewed. I figured I'd try to top chamber since the bottom one looked like it might be harder to clean.

I turned the unit on and then turned on the heating element. I then realized i should probably load it up first. So turned off the heating element and put some of my grinds in the top chamber and screwed the lid on.

I set the temperature to 365 and watched it heat up in about a minute or so (was fast!). There was a "smell" of warmth. That kind of smell when you turn on a heater when it hasn't been running for awhile. I took a draw off the straw and didn't really feel anything. Being new to vaping, I wasn't sure if this was normal of it was an overhyped practice thing.

So, I took another really big draw. I felt something them. There was some smoke (vapor?) for the first 2 draws. I'm not sure if that's normal for a new vaporizer or not.

I sat it down and waited a little bit and started feeling the effects kick in. It was really pleasant and nice. I took a couple more draws. I was in heaven. haha

I decided it was time to take a break. :) I came back to the unit after watching some TV and realized I'd left it on. I was worried the battery would be dead, but surprisingly the unit had shut off. I fired it back up to finish off the load and after a couple more draws, it felt "lesser". I figured it was done.

I turned off the unit and dumped out the grinds and to my joy, they were slightly brown, but not burnt. I also noticed I didn't have this little heaviness in my lungs I sometimes get from a big bowl.

I tried it a couple more times over the next few days and kept it charged fully because I was nervous about the battery running out.

This past weekend, my friend showed me his Iolite WSPR and I gave it a try. It was ok, but I think I'm so in love with my davinci that it just didn't quite compare. The next day I loaded up my davinci and let him take a couple draws. He loved it and was fawning over the look and feel of it. I like that it actually fits in my pocket, whereas his WSPR, not so much.

There are a couple small cons with the davinci and I feel I should talk about those in the interest of a full review.

I didn't use the little barrels, but can see where someone else might. I was just figuring it might someone decrease the buzz. I also found it gets kind of warm to the touch after a lot of use. I guess this is normal for vaporizers?

I would also like some sort of battery replacement. It has 3 internal lithium ion batteries, but I'm concerned about possibly needing to replace them and if it's going to cost me, etc.

A car charger would be nice. I'd like to take my davinci camping next weekend, but worried that the battery will die on me and I'll be SOL.

With those small cons aside, I'd highly recommend the davinci vaporizer to anyone knew to vaping or even the veterans looking for a new piece to add to their collection.

Sorry this was so long and I'm sure I left some things out, i just wanted to write my first review for my first vaporizer :)

Thanks

2. #2 CentiZen, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    Thank you so much for your review! I have been very interested in this new model of vape for a while and you have done a great job of making me even more exited.

Looks like my mflb is going to be replaced very soon as my stealth portable.

3. Thanks for the review mate, been lookin into vapin more. Btw the smoke you draw is infact vapor, its normal. Try holdin in the vapor in as look as you can. As long as you dont cause any combustion, you're fine. And also yes it is normal for the device to get warm to the touch.

Anyway happy vaping enjoy!

4. Thanks. I'm trying to find out as much as I can and sometimes am not sure of terms, etc.

5. Thanks for the review!

This portable vape is looking real interesting, my only issue with the Iolite has been the fact that it's butane powered, but this one seems like it may be a top contender for best portable =o. Very cool.

6. Thanks. There aren't to many DaVinci reviews floating around. I'd like to know how long the battery actually lasts and how long to recharge. I've got a Solo and I'm not about to jump ship now, but yours looks pretty good. I've been on their site looking at it a few times, but I'd also like to actually see and feel one. OK, so much for my wish list. Hope it works well for you. It looks good to me.

7. It's probably safe to say I've become quite the fanboy. My buddy just ordered one as well after trying mine.

I've found the battery generally lasts me about 2 sessions or so, depending on how much I'm using it. With my buddies and I passing it around, we hit it hard and it lasted about 40 minutes or so. By myself it last much longer because I'm not hitting it as hard.

I find it generally takes a couple hours to fully charge. One thing they don't seem to mention in their manual (unless I overlooked it) was that you have to power the unit on to charge it.

Something I tried last night was adding a little lemon extract to my grinds and it was actually pretty decent. the davinci came with a temp guide and I might even try to vape some of these herbs they recommend to see if I like any of them, but I'm sure they won't compare to my favorite herb ;-)

8. Still running strong?

9. Yup, still running strong, but I've since had to order more screens.

10. #10 Cannabliss88, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    I just picked up one and turned it on for a dry run as reccomended to me by the giy at the head shop.

It tastes/smells like fucking burning rubber! How do I know I'm not inhaling bad plastic fumes?

Edit:

If I could go back in time I'd save up till I could afford a volcano.

This was definitely one of those impulse buys

But it does work:smoking:

I just don't know about its safety howerver. The taste only partially went away. (The random smoke burned off pretty fast)

Fuck it got me high but I just prefer glass and think its safer given the fact that its been used safely for so many years.

Vaping out of chinese plastic just doesn't seem the same, like its not as natural or something is missing.

I can't tell if I'm just less high or if this is a different type of high (more energetic which I like)

I started it at 360 but it just wasn't doing the trick but by the time I got it up to 370 the vapor it was getting more harsh and thick

Overall its a nice change of pace. Thats just my 2 cents on this product:smoking:

11. The Da Vinci is beautiful.
    Enjoy using it as causes a energy high and still feel mellow minus the lung ache.
    Hard to find in UK approx March 2012.
    Previously owned a Volcano and a whip vape. I prefer the Da Vinci as easier to use and ultra stealthy.
    The new iolite wispr seemed attractive until I realized powered by butane.

The Da Vinci makes me :hello:

12. I have had my DaVinci for about two months. I feel it was a great purchase and would recommend to all that want a reliable portable Vape.
    I have seen the posts about plastic taste but have experienced good flavor.
    I had one issue with my unit and Organix customer service was top notch.
    I have a Atmos, Solo, and the Davinci. The only one I would return is the Atmos Raw because it really is not a vaporizer.
    Give the DaVinci a try - you will not be sorry.
    Stay Green.