First timer grower? Tips?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WeaveAndWish, Feb 12, 2012.

1. What I meant with that was if that fixture it displays came with the ballast in the pricing.

2. I checked craigslist, there wasn't much and most of it was expensive. I did see a 400watt hps with reflectors and two bulbs for 150

3. Oh, well in that case, no. That hood has a built-in ballast. Kinda limits you though since you probably can't switch it out for a different reflector.

If you're so inclined as to build a cool tube, you can get just a mogul socket for pretty cheap at HTG Supply. They're actually pretty simple to make, and they work great.

4. Cool tube?

5. It's basically a glass tube that your bulb fits in, with ducting attached to one or both sides. Air passes through it with a fan, which cools the bulb, and since it's sealed, it radiates very little heat. They're very good for spaces where heat might be an issue.

Attached Files:

6. [quote name='"roostaphant"']It's basically a glass tube that your bulb fits in, with ducting attached to one or both sides. Air passes through it with a fan, which cools the bulb, and since it's sealed, it radiates very little heat. They're very good for spaces where heat might be an issue.[/quote]

Iv never seen this. I decided against hps due to my setup being in a closet and i didnt want heat problems. This would have sorted it no problem at all

7. I've got one that I made myself, and I'll have to say, it works.

Although I couldn't find a glass tube the size that I really want, so I ordered one on eBay. The DIY ones work just fine, I just wanted a bigger one.

They also have hoods that operate on the same concept.
    Air Coolable

8. Heat shouldn't be a MAJOR issue if you just have a couple of fans. I have a 1000 watt HPS setup in my closet and it stays at a fairly constant 80 degrees with one fan blowing in and one out. You'll just have to experiment and figure out what's gona be best for you!

9. Can you use an MH light for the entire growth cycle?

10. You can use MH, HPS, or florescents your whole grow. It just isn't optimum you know? They all have different light spectrum's. And MH is good for veg and HPS is good for flowering. But yes you can use a MH throughout your whole grow. Just might not get as big of a yield but should still be hefty.

11. I think HPS is more commonly used if you're using the same bulb throughout the whole grow.

12. [quote name='"roostaphant"']I think HPS is more commonly used if you're using the same bulb throughout the whole grow.[/quote]

Is it possible though to use Cfls for the entire life?

13. roost is right HPS would be more ideal if you wanted to use one light all the way through. And yeah you can CFL a whole grow. But your yield would be way less than if you used an HPS.

14. That's good, cause I found an entire hydro setup with an included ballast with an MH light. I can just buy a HPS light. You can use a HPS bulb with the same ballast as a MH, right?

15. No. You'll have to get a conversion piece to use an HPS bulb with the same ballast.

16. #36 trichome fiend, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
    ...if it is a digital ballast, you CAN absolutely use a MH and HPS with the same ballast. Alot of ballast are dimmable now days...(you can adjust the watts according to the bulb's calling with dimmables)

17. #37 trichome fiend, Feb 21, 2012
    ...you would have to get a whole new ballast if your using magnetic ballast, they are made specifically for MH or specifically for HPS, no swopping. As said, digital ballast will operate MH and HPS....go digital.

18. [quote name='"trichome fiend"']

...you would have to get a whole new ballest if your using magnetic ballest, they are made specifically for MH or specifically for HPS, no swopping. As said, digital ballest will operate MH and HPS....go digital.[/quote]

I have a magnetic ballast that works with my 400 watt MH and HPS light, so some magnetic ballasts work for both....
    But if you have a ballast that came with a MH it probably doesn't work for both, would have been advertised for both if it could.

19. #39 trichome fiend, Feb 22, 2012
    ...can you tell me the name brand, type/make ....because I've never seen a magnetic ballest that is compatible with both MH and HPS....however, every digital ballast I've seen operates both...

20. #40 TheNaturalist, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
    [quote name='"trichome fiend"']

...can you tell me the name brand, type/make ....because I've never seen a magnetic ballest that is compatible with both MH and HPS....however, every digital ballast I've seen operates both...[/quote]

I'm not sure about all that stuff, it just came in a blank box within my larger order. Here's the package I got though:
    400w - HPS - Hydrolux Cool Tube 6 in

I got the standard magnetic ballast that comes free with the set. It has two plug ins, one for using 110 and another for using 229, then it has a switch that you flip for using either HPS or MH. I'm using MH now but will be switching to HPS In about a week. I'll update this post with a pic when I get home.

Edit:
    IMG_2683.jpg