Tissue Culture / Micropropagation

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Berry, Feb 9, 2012.

1. You could possibly take very small clones initially that way you could store more strains in a given area, but those clones will need MUCH more attention than regular clones (misting the inside of a humidity dome to keep them humid enough, and watering them often.)

I've taken some very small clones that were only 2 nodes long and had pretty good success keeping them inside of zip-lock bags for the first few days then slowly acclimating them, but once they start rooting they will grow just as fast as a normal clone, granted they will be about a week behind in size compared to other clones because they were smaller to begin with.

Once you get them rooted, you could then limit there size by keeping them in small containers, but the plants will get root bound quickly and start developing health problems, once they get sick then it can make it difficult to clone from them again and get the clones to root.

With tissue culture, once they are stored in the jar, you don't have to mess with them for at least a couple of months.

You could probably take a piece of bud right at harvest and create a tissue culture with it. I was actually having this conversation with some co-workers the other day during a harvest. My only concern would be that you have to thoroughly disinfect the tissue samples before placing them on the media, and buds have lots of trichromes and nooks and crevices that could hide bacteria and fungi from getting killed off by the disinfectant. A sample from a leaf or stem would do just as well and would probably be more successful as far as avoiding contamination.

2. Could this same process be used for cacti?

Yep.  It will work with any plant species, and could be used in a similar way to grow mushroom mycelium cultures or to culture algaes if you wanted.

I googled "Tissue Culture of Cacti" and this site seemed pretty informative on the subject. http://www.succulent-tissue-culture.com/EN

4. How would you go about starting a tissue culture from seed? And if done correctly would you still have the same capabilities as far as cloning?

You could do it two ways.  

The first and most common way seeds are started for tissue culture is to just sterilize the seed coat by soaking it in a chlorine solution. Then follow the same steps as with establishing a culture from plant tissue, and put the seed directly into the same media and container you would start a tissue culture in.  The seed will germinate and sprout in-vitro and you can then divide it up into more jars after it has grown to fill the initial jar.

You can also germinate the seed first, then remove the seed coat, and either place the whole sprout in a culture jar, or cut it in pieces and start multiple cultures from a single seed.  

I don't really see starting tissue cultures of cannabis from seeds is a good idea.  The main reason is that you won't know the sex or quality of the resulting cultures until much later, once you have already devoted lots of time to culturing it.  It would suck to spend 2-3 months multiplying jars, painstakingly transferring thousands of tiny fragile plantlets to test tubes, then spending weeks hardening them off, only to sex one of them and they are all male, or are female but herm or end up just bad quality.

Micropropagation is more suited to a situation like cloning, where you know exactly what the final product is going to be, and you are just trying to make more of it.

6. #126 gophurnuggetsworth, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
    This has been an amazing thread.  I'm definitely subbed!

7. #127 348montesa, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    Berry, I've read through the whole thread with great interest. Have you made any progress with all your equipment? 
    The Chinese research paper cited here mentioned the following combination yielding best results, would you suggest to go with this or have you found better combinations?
    Best Auxiliary bud multiplication: MS medium + TDZ (0.2mg·L-1) + 0.1 mg·L-1 NAA 
    Best Rooting: MS medium + 0.1 mg·L-1 IBA and 0.05 mg·L-1 NAA
    I have found Chinese companies in my searches offering low price NAA, TDZ, etc. Do you have any experience with Chinese sources?
    Hope you are doing well,
    S.

8. What a great practical thread. Hoping it comes alive again-

I think the biggest question newbs like me have is regarding the longer term viability. If you were going to plan to store / archive specific phenos for years or decades, you would have to do something to the tissue every 2-3 months. And with a high rate of contamination, it would seem this is a very high level of maintenance.

9. Do you need a lab monkey? I'd be good at that job.

10. Is it possible to clean a strain? Meaning if a plant had something like the mosaic virus could you grow in a tissue culture to rid of it? I've heard people use this to get hardy or resistance to pests and disease and yet it seems if there were a disease present in the plant it would flourish in dish?

sent from my Bat Mobile

11. I have been searching off and on for over a year now for a good site to explain tissue culture in an easy to understand format.  I am as confused as confused can be until now.  THANK YOU!!!  You have done in seven pages what the entire internet could not do in a year. 

My primary confusion involves what hormones to use, when to use them, and how much of them to use.  Would you be willing to explain how to grow a calus from a leaf, what hormones and why you choose the paticular hormones?

I have been looking into plant tissue cultures for sometime now, have gathered all the tools, vesseles, media, autoclave and hormones I think I would need.  I have even gone as far as to build a glove box complete with HEPA filtration and UV sterilization.  Given that, the hormones and growth regulators completly and totally confuse the hell out of me!

Any other help or tips you would be willing to share would so grealy appreciated,  Thank you.

12. P.S. I like to buy all of my supplies from herehttp://www.caissonlabs.com/

Seem to be a lot cheaper than enywhere else I've found online and very good customer service.

13. @[member="Berry"] When doing tissue culture, does the plant material have to be "alive", or can you tissue culture off of say, dried buds ? 

14. I'm considering trying out tissue cultured of cannabis plants. What's the latest results so far?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Can tissue culture be used to clean up a strain? Say the mosaic virus. it's systemic, I was told that the plant in a sterile environment would out grow any mutations? Is this used to clean up genetics

bat mobile

16. ^^^^ Absolutely!!!

17. Check out YouTube on plant tissue culture with Bill Graham. I have a kit on the way. I will post how it is working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app