Tried everything, need advice (curling leaves)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sleepy96, Feb 8, 2012.

1. #1 sleepy96, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    The title pretty much says it. My plant has been experiencing the leaf tips curling down with some slight droopiness. I made sure the soil wasnt over watered, let it dry out before watering again, lowered nutes, still same problem. I figured that the roots werent getting enough oxygen; as I didn't add any perlite to the basic soil I used (just said fuck it to see how it worked). From what I've read online that the plants can do this and the leaves can droop when its not getting enough oxygen in the soil.

So I got some new soil, much nicer and lighter. Consists of: sphagnum peat, horticultural vermiculite, perlite, wetting agent, and lime "for ph balance". Not sure of the quantities of each as its all mixed together, but it seems very nice and fluffy.

Anyways, after transplanting to the new soil, I watered it with some "Myco Madness" beneficial bacteria to help stimulate the roots. Its been in the new soil for a few days, seemed to dry fast so I added more water, but I think it was just the surface that was dry and Its possible to have been over watered. I am using the "Green Planet Nutrients" nutes and following their feeding schedule, being careful not to overfeed.

My set up at the moment is a 2ft wide * 1ft deep * 3.5ft tall cabinet, 6CFLS, 4 PC fans, 3 to circulate air and one as intake. 4in exhaust running through the back. Temps run pretty high, around 90s. So I tried to eliminate that possibility by leaving the cabinet open for 12+ hrs to keep the temp down, the plant made no change at all with the temp change.

The majority of the leaves have downward curling tips, and dont seem very "vigorous", they are just kinda half-drooping. Stems are turning purpleish more towards the top, so I know there is something going on here.

I dont have a PH meter, so that is one of the few variables I havent covered at this point. Im guessing there is some nutrient lockout due to ph, as its turning a few select leaves yellow as its "sink" because of not having enough nutrients. 98% of the leaves are a healthy green though, just not looking vigorous. Can this also happen from too many nutrients, or does the whole plant usually show signs of that?

Im coming to a loss at this point, any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

*Will get pics soon if it helps

2. Transplanting is normally a shock to the plants, it will take a few days to correct. In this time they may look droopy. In my experience after a transplant I can wait up to a week or longer before needing to water again. This is especially so if your soil has vermiculite (a clay) which holds onto water extremely well.

I'm just guessing, but I think you have been over watering. Hard to say for sure without pictures.

3. Yhhh I all so think I due to over watering, get an EC meter that will help with over watering, but tbh don't think u need one just don't feed as much, feed half of what your giving it now, and slowly build it up for the next few weeks, hope it helps

4. What I do to check if my plants need water is I dig my finger about 2-3 inches into the soil and pull up a real small amount. If it's moist, it's not time yet. Or if your able to lift your pots up to check, the weight is another good test. Like Quality said transplanting gives a bit of a shock, just keep an eye on them. Remember, it's better to UNDER water then over water! At least that's what I've always done :)
    It is possible to use too many ferts. If your using chem ferts it's even easier then organics (or so I hear). A thought occured to me, when you transplanted you didn't press down on the soil did you? I don't mean you pressed down real real lightly, but if you pressed too hard to try to pack the soil that can cause root problems. Idk if any of this makes sense to you, I've done gardens for most my life (vegetable I mean) so I know some basic "plant rules" if you will, I just don't know how to relay them in words sometimes...

5. I understand what you're saying :) I did the same dig-the-finger test, have always done this, and the soil is still most, so no watering for now. I went by just the top of the soil with this new stuff, as it seemed to drain faster. But it seems the opposite is the case, as the top will dry out fast since its more aerated, while underneath will still be moist. As far as pushing the soil down when I first got it, I did slightly, enough to allow it to absorb water. The stuff was so fluffy that water would go straight through and drain at the bottom, so it needed packed a little. Im hoping the lighter soil will allow for better root growth than the other dense soil I had.

I'll keep it off the nutrients for now, and just feed water until the soil evens out if it happens to be a PH problem. I'm sure the transplant has something to do with it, and I DID rip off a few roots unintentionally if that makes a huge difference :rolleyes: Will curled leaves straighten out once the problem is remedied? It just looks a little ugly at the moment. lol

6. #6 sleepy96, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
    Heres some pics if it helps. I just checked the soil and it was all dry, the problem doesnt seem to be because of over watering, so I watered her today:

I foliar fed some epsom salt water yesterday to help with a possible ph problem, thats why there is some white residue on a few of the leaves. lol

Hopefully someone can help :D

Attached Files:

7. (Bump)
    Not trying to be one of "those guys", but just need some advice :smoke:

8. It could be heat stressed, But not too sure mate. What do u do on a daily basis? Do u have any fresh air going in to your room? Do u extract any air? What u growing under? What feed do u use, and what do u put to a 1lt of water? How many times do u feed? Do u flush with just water once a week? What's your ph? What medium/soil do u use? How old is your baby? Did it come from seed or cutting???

9. I covered almost all of that in my OP. But for specifics, its 6 * 23w CFL 6500K, running around 80s now (got the temp dialed in better). I use Green Planet Nutrients, 16mL each Groei A+B and 6mL of Aussie Tonic per gallon. Last Time I fed these nutrients was about a week ago after transplant. Did the first "wetting" with the myco's (beneficial fungi) to help jumpstart the roots after transplant. Second watering (once soil was dry of course) was the nutrients. Following that (once dry) was more myco's. I water maybe every 3 days. I dont know the pH as I dont have a meter (need one bad). She is a little over 2 months old, came from some bagseed.

After that last watering has dried I am at the point I am now. My most recent watering (today) was with some epsom salt, Im hoping it will help with what seems to be a pH problem locking out some nutrients. The stems are purpling and leaves are still curled/droopy. And what ive read so far is pointing to too many nutrients/lockout, or a deficiency. Obviously its better to have less than more, so should I continue with plain water until obvious signs of deficiency? Or attempt to correct the pH with Epsom salt etc...?