Trying to grow in a private pond need help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Mississippi Boy, Jun 21, 2006.

1. i have a really old nasty pond behind has off in the woods about 200 yards and tried to grow their once but animals keep messing up my pots how can i keep them away

2. Growing IN a pond?? Surely you did not mean to say that.

3. ok not actually in the pond by on the edge you know by the water it gets lots of sunlight and i dont have water it and it was growing good untill something ate it

4. get some chicken wire and put it around it
    oh and idk if this rly works but pee on a sock and hang it on a tree near ur plant
    its supposed to keep animals away

5. oh ok ill try that thanks for the info

6. Make sure the roots are moist but not waterlogged.

7. i have them in a plant pot with 2 holes in the bottom and about 2ft from the water but the ground is mushy and wet so the soil in my pots stay moist

8. if the soil stays too wet, you won't have good root development. With out a robust rot system, you'll have a pretty pathetic plant.

9. It sounds like you are trying to grow in mud, which is not a good idea.

Are you going to fill a hole with good growing compost?? Again, not too wet.

10. its kinda like a swampy marshy area i thougt it would grow good cause it gets a lot of sun light because of the trees around it are like small bushy trees but mostly just tall grass and the soil wet and no one knows about the pond cause its off in the boomdox so what your basicly saying is the ground is to wet and the plants roots want hold up

11. No, if the soil is too wet the plant´s roots will get little oxygen and will die.

If you dig a hole and it fills up with water then your soil is too wet.

12. What you need to do is not use pots at all for ouside... This way the roots will have all the room they want to grow... If the top soil is wet all the time then you need to move to were there is dry top soil... A few more feet away from the pond... Dig a hole and transplant the hole plant into the ground...

13. I didn't read anywhere in this thread that anybody told him to use pots outside. A lot of people start their plants in pots outside. I know I do so I can have access to them til the establish a decent stem. I want to have some control over their watering and sun exposure also, when they are small.

For the pond growing. My brother went to a city near us and the people that he was staying with had a pobd. There son was growing by the pond. He said that he suggests that you plant at least 3 feet from the bank. Don't place on the side wall incase there would be considerble amount of rain then it will be damaged from over exposure to it. Three feet also because if by chance animals come to drink they will chew on plants next to the pond gpr fppd while they are drinking.

I hope this helps you out in having a successful grow. Let me know how it goes.

14. He was sticking his hole pot into the ground... I never said to not start your plant in a pot... I said to transplant the dirt from the pot into the ground.... And that lil bit of info that you gave was pointless...

15. I don't believe its pointless. I didn't see any thing about a whole pot being put in the ground either, but he doesn't say there buried however. It may be to prevent the wind from blowing them around breaking them. It may be pointless to you because your not growing on a pond sight. But maybe for mississippi boy it may be the answer to his problem. I didn't guarntee him anything I just told him how my brother had seen it done. I thought that was what this site was for. To give people input on the questions. It doesn't mean he has to do it. It's my opinion. That is all.

16. A long time ago there was a thread on Overgrow about growing in swamps using this native american method of making 10-14ft tall poles filled with a certain combination of food and soil, then jamming the bottom end of the pole into the bottom dirt of the swamp. Supposed to be low maintenance (no need to water since one end of the pole is underwater) but it would be neccesary to have a secret location (8 foot tall pvc pipe sticking out of the water with a giant bush on top). If anybody remembers this method more clearly than I do I'd be really interested in trying that method sometime, meanwhile I'll see if I can find that article anywhere.