If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by MaxP0wers, Jan 30, 2012.

1. If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything
    -Mark Twain
    I love this quote as its so true but no one thinks of this.

2. where did I put my keys.
    Damn that Mark Twain dude

3. Yeah! What about my cell phone??

4. Damn dude. That's literally so true...

5. [quote name='"DMag"']Damn dude. That's literally so true...[/quote]

I know right, think about it. When you lie you have to always remember and keep track of the lie because you have to keep your story straight with the person you lied to. Tell the truth and you have no worries.

6. From now on.. I will try my hardest to do this and see how it works

7. Nice quote. I never really lie :smoking:

8. You only need to lie when you don't believe your own lie.
    If you fully believe that your lie is the truth, whos to know the difference ?

9. [quote name='"Skunkariffic"']You only need to lie when you don't believe your own lie.
    If you fully believe that your lie is the truth, whos to know the difference ?[/quote]

You do, if you are lying about something you can keep telling yourself its the truth, but subconsciously you know the real truth. You just become very attached to a lie.

If you mean that you are wrong about something and you think you're telling the truth, then thats different because cognitively its the truth.

10. While it is true that the person telling the lie will always know its a lie, if ones mind can convince ones body that they're telling the truth, and if their mind is sharp enough, (this would really only work with a relatively small lie, nothing elaborate that could get out of hand), and obviously so long as one doesn't leak this information, they can get away with it and convince everybody else around them that they're telling the truth. We show it here on the City every time somebody has a successful illegal grow.

11. [quote name='"Skunkariffic"']

While it is true that the person telling the lie will always know its a lie, if ones mind can convince ones body that they're telling the truth, and if their mind is sharp enough, (this would really only work with a relatively small lie, nothing elaborate that could get out of hand), and obviously so long as one doesn't leak this information, they can get away with it and convince everybody else around them that they're telling the truth. We show it here on the City every time somebody has a successful illegal grow.[/quote]

I don't know about this, i've never been able to actually convince myself a lie is true. You still have to know of the lie and therefore its overall less stressful to tell the truth IMO

12. Many people convince themselves lies are true. It's called being willfully delusional. If it makes you feel good to believe it is true, then they reject all fact/logic that tells them otherwise. It's pretty lazy if you ask me.

13. You have to remember where the nearest exit is in the event that someone decides to pummel you for it. :(

14. what if I convinced myself that the truth was a lie.

does that make it lying

15. It makes you delusional. In my book, being delusional is worse than being a liar.

16. well at least I know where I stand :D

17. all lies come from fear...fear is the ultimate delusion

18. That's not necessarily true. Lying for personal gain can be a HUGE factor for lying. I guess your motivations for lying let alone lying to begin with really shows a lot about one's personality

19. exactly...i would say the majority of lies are for personal gain... but that is based on the illusion that your cup is not full... a lie for personal gain is a lie out of fear... when your not in fear you do not need anything and certainly wouldn't lie to gain something

20. I've never gotten to that level

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdbdUt_h9M]eXistenZ (1999) - Trailer - YouTube[/ame]