black gold organic soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ndub420, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I never used seagull guano, just bat guano, but basically guano takes a long time to break down, and things like kelp and alfalfa meal have compounds called growth regulators. And growth regulators promote growth. Comfrey has a compound that causes rapid cell division. And these botanicals are available quicker, compost quicker and so on. I could go on but my point is there are better alternatives to using guano.

But your question is, what's wrong with seagull shite? Nothing, if your using it and like it, by all means use it up. Like I mentioned i have used guano and I have posted how I thought it affected taste in a positive way. But the last two grows have not had guano directly but in the compost and the tastes from botanical inputs have never been better.

This argument kind mirrors other arguments, such as blood and bone meal. But again both work well and are almost organic staples, but there are better options. So if you are using a product you like and the plants are healthy no need to drastically alter your growing style, just keep in mind there are options out there that might be more better. And as we learn our methods can change.....MIW

2. I vote MIW for our next president with LD as head of our Dept of Defense! :D

3. Dumbest reply ever. Black Gold over FFOF? lol OK. Now I've heard it all. :rolleyes:

4. #24 CalDreamer, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
    Mr. KNOWITALL. There is one or a hundred on every board.

When you get your own line of organic dirt going let me know.

More disrespect on another thread you dug up from way back. You need to cool your jets if you want to fit in here. Furthermore, you're disrespecting one of the most trusted and knowledgeable members here.

Chunk

The black sheep of a grow site, I like that.

Fine. Lumper, if you see this, I apologize to you for leaving a smartass reply to your smartass comment. Maybe I'll become an expert when I reach 4,000 posts so I can put down the products others use.

You edited your post that a moderator gave you a public warning and added more insults.-PF

5. I've used 4-corners organic soil and recommended their castings because it's cheap. However there are cheaper, and better red worm composts, and my final impression of 4 corners is just like what LD wrote. not much about it worth mentioning. maybe it's time for them to start thinking outside the box, or learn how to make compost and good soil mixes. AFAIK it is definitely do-able with the right education and materials. Additionally they use cow manure as a bedding, a fact of the trade LD hinted at, take note.

6. < ME like> :)

7. Hmmmmm. Back incognito?!?? ^^

8. Better yet get the Kellogg Patio Plus soil it's $4.97 for 1.5 cu. ft. and is pretty good soil. Some added perlite would be nice but I used it straight from the bag in the Lowe's 5-gallon buckets. I have seen positive reviews of it on several forums.

9. Must add 100% worm casting to your soil it will help alot . it's cheap to get and helps fight off spider mites.

10. i make my own soil but use dr earth when its not ready yet or for other quick cups that need soil and its awesome. my favorite soil in a bag and its only $12. if you can find it, get it.

i also cut my soil with dr earth if its too hot.

11. I've been amused about the term/concept 'hot soil' so perhaps you could explain this rather esoteric concept.

Biologically that is.........

12. #33 Possuum, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012

CQ,

I'm curious about something and perhaps you can help. A couple of years ago when I joined The City there was a nomdeguere poster herein that used to sing the praises of SunGro like there was no tomorrow. Dude used to say SunGro products were the best thing to hit the horitcultural market since they put a pocket on a tee shirt. He went by the handle LumperDawgZ. I used their products exclusively based on his recommendation and had nothing but good results come from doing so. Later on the time line it was determined that Black Gold was SunGro in a retail package since SunGro mainly dealt on the commercial level.

Then about ~1yr ago I noticed SunGro had joined the synthetic marching band and started adding "starter charges" of synthetic nutes, Black Gold (I think) followed suit. The long and short of it is that SunGro was heralded here in The City as THE goto product if organic growers wanted the best that could be had for a reasonable price. Now the post above, by LumberDawgZ kinda sorta indicates SunGro and Black Gold just ain't all THAT. Make sense?

So, I'm curious, if you know, what happened at SunGro/Black Gold such that now SunGro product lines would be poopooh'ed? Change of ownership, change of direction, change of heart.... what changed? If you know?!

Always appreciate an opinion.

13. #34 ComfreyQuery, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    Edit for more coherent and relevant answer about the state of affairs at Black Gold Central.

As you can see from the current marketing team shown below - times are tough at Sun Gro Horticulture. Familiarity breeds - well - breeds more of this.

[​IMG]

14. CQ

Well I don't know where you got a picture of myself and my Monkee-mate but I darn sure don't like you disgracing the dog with that confederate flag man.... LOL. :)

Anyway. No big deal. I buy Premier by the bale at the get-go store these days but I'd still buy some SunGro anytime I could find it and needed it. Perhaps I'll have to go read up on their web site some more and see what's up.

Cheers...

15. I am having some serious issues with getting my seeds to break through soil.
    I have bought femenized seeds from a respectful vendor, my seeds germinated within 48 hours, I got them into soil right away.
    Soil is a mix of Black Gold organic potting soil(3cups), Fox Farms organic(3cups) and some organic plant food (1/4 cup) that has a mix of bone meal, kelp meal, alfalfaha meal, feather meal, bat guano, chicken manaure and potassium sulfate. it was all mixed well and put into plastic cups to start off seedlings. Please note i have kept everything clean as to avoid contamination.
    i have my indoor tent set at the proper temp, constant fresh air circulating, blue and red LED approx four inches from soil for 24 hours a day to boost the sprouting process, have not over watered, its been a week and nothing has happened. i pulled one seed up and it had stopped growing from its germinated state as had all the others.
    what the hell did i do wrong?!?!

16. #37 SeanDawg, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    Is this a recycled soil mix? Or is this fresh with the amendments added?

Honestly with young seeds or clones, if I drop them in a soil mix its usually an old recycled soil mix or its a base mix (SPM, EWC, rock cinders). What may have happened is if the soil mix is too rich or "hot" the seedlings will be cooked and killed. I hope that's not the case this time...

SD

Edit: in early stages of a seedlings life they actually produce all their own food no problem. Not until after the first or second set of true leaves will they start to need a little bit of nutritional help.

17. Make sure your soil isn't too compacted...freshly germinated taproots are very tender.

18. To throw in my own 2 cents here. I started my first grow - after reading my a$$ off - Ran many experiments as I had 13 feminized auto flowering seeds to work with. 

Tried everything from coffee, worked a little but nothing to write home about
    Hi-Yield Super phosphate - good stuff but it's JUST phosphate... i was missing the nitrogen and potassium elements

The BIGGEST jump I saw in plant size was when I started adding Hi Yield Cottonseed Meal (for nitrogen) and Mary Jane Minerals (70 minerals and trace elements)

I'm also going to add some FoxFarm Beasty Bloomz (0-50-30) once the colas/buds/flowers start showing up for the high phosphate/potassium... I'm pretty sure adding more CottonSeed Meal (for the nitrogen 7-1-1) and Mary Jane Minerals will be an atomic bomb for blow!ng up those colas

2 things I'll note in reference to your soil buying. I myself am using FoxFarm Ocean Forest but it's not a life saver. I've had plenty of plants die transplanting them to larger 5 gal buckets.

One major thing I'm noticing is that the MAJORITY of solid people say work do NOT have a Nitrogen level above 9--- to me the perfect blend would be (9-50-50) but I don't think I'll ever see that.... they had something interesting for a mix called "Jack Pot" which I might try because it's 7-7-7... as in Vegas 7-7-7 (jackpot... get it?) :p

I've also seen the Dr. Q... and some other stuff that said it had gold flakes in it... both relatively cheap but I'd like someone to confirm these are better than FFOF... I have 14 more seeds coming in so I might try that... I'm also thinking about LAYERING things... as the roots grow down they will hit a wall of cottonseed meal and Mary Jane Minerals and Super Phosphate.... I'll let you know when I get there on ym second grow

19. I'm sorry, the 7-7-7 fertilizer is called Dr Q.'s Triple Play... not JACKPOT as I called it in the previous post - I'm going to try this on my next grow and let you know how things go - I'll do a side by side test.... one 5 gal pot with pure FFOF and another with FFOF+Triple Play

Of course, when I did a search on it, I only see it at my local STAR NURSERY - So, I guess you'll have to find a comparable organic fert in your area - http://bit.ly/1iwNGys

From what I've read and seen, NITROGEN is the thing you have to worry about the most because it can burn and kill your plants... and again, I'd NEVER go above 9-0-0 on the Nitrogen scale - but apparently you can SLAM a TON of phosphate and potassium on it and it doesn't matter... which is why I'd use Hi-Yield Super Phosphate during the veg cycle and switch to FoxFarm Beastie Bloomz during the flower cycle

Also, if you have a garden hose with multiple settings, try MISTING the seedlings and early flowers... don't start WATERING until that thing gets at least 6 inches high.... build your soil and mix in the fertilizer like you're making a layered cake... so that when your roots get down 3-4 inches it'll hit a wall of GOLD - with the cottonseed meal (for nitrogen 7-1-1), super phosphate (around 0-20-0), and Mary Jane Minerals (for any minerals and nutrients it may lose after you water the soil down and it washes out) - The Mary Jane Minerals will also effectively replace any missing minerals and give it a super boost because now it has roots growing into 70 different trace minerals and elements that weren't on the top soil - KABOOM!