Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why is the price of weed so high in the uk?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by wdamow, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mate,i get damp weed every single time, after drying it seems decent, but yeah, the UK really is fucking shit, i pay £10 a gram every time, but seems no one gives a shit about weed, you know the strain, how it's grown anything, all they're interested in is getting it out to mass production, there's no respect for the actual flower. (Manchester) anyway.

2. It's the same the world round, shit dealers give shit deals. I get from a variety of the best dealers in my hometown, and I generally get at least 3g for £20, and it's good shit. However, as was said earlier in the thread there's no guarantee they'll have any on them. Last time I wanted a quarter I had to wait a day for it. If I want it asap then I'd have to go to one of the less reputable dealers and get something most likely less dank, and at best 1.2g for £10. That said at uni I don't know any of the best dealers yet, just some guy that sells ok weed at a half decent weight. Just a matter of letting it be known to your smoking friends that you're looking for a decent dealer, eventually you'll stumble across someone who gives really good deals.

3. What does the price have to do with anything?
    You're just getting ripped off.

4. [quote name='"Rathyas"']What does the price have to do with anything?
    You're just getting ripped off.[/quote]

What are you on about? The price is the subject of this thread. It's not a case of just getting ripped off or not this is a genuine widespread problem!

5. Ah. My apologies, then!
    I agree entirely.
    Especially since you're not always assured you're getting what you're supposedly paying for...

6. In south east London/Kent/Essex.

I get 1.8-2.2g for £20. It's always available and varies from mids-high grade. I've recently had:

Critical mass
    Snow white
    Lemon haze
    Amnesia
    Blue cheese.

But it varies alot between dealers, I had a guy the other week give me 1.5g for £20 but it was dry as fuck and ground out into a HUGE pile. Tasty cheese too.

I would say don't be scared to ask for a bigger deal or better price if you are buying bulk.

It also worth noting that the wholesale price is crap unless you buy bars (9 ounces) ... Ounces where I live cost 220-260 each.

7. yeah i'm paying the same too, i tried to put my finger on what sent the prices up a while ago, the only thing i could put it down to was the reclassification, i noticed the price hike about 5 - 6 months after that, it might have been a coincidence since the price seems fairly steady across most of the country but i cant see all the dealers across the land having a meeting to set market prices :smoke:

8. [quote name='"Spiders"']yeah i'm paying the same too, i tried to put my finger on what sent the prices up a while ago, the only thing i could put it down to was the reclassification, i noticed the price hike about 5 - 6 months after that, it might have been a coincidence since the price seems fairly steady across most of the country but i cant see all the dealers across the land having a meeting to set market prices :smoke:[/quote]

I think its a culmination of a few things.

- decriminalising to class c pushed up demand.
    - reclassification hasn't really stifled this but has slowed supply (higher risk)
    - nowhere near the level of information about cannabis amongst adults in the UK compared to our American cousins.
    - the dreaded "soap-bar"

Only IMO of course but it does seem to have spiked massively in the last 3-4 years and I have no idea why.

9. I think it might have to do with the culture surrounding dealing in the UK versus North America. I don't know if it's true but I kind of get the impression that most dealers in UK are shady criminal types whereas in NA there are a lot of normal people just selling for some extra cash.

10. ^ This.

Also has anyone ever met a UK dealer who wasn't paranoid as fuck?!

11. you know its funny but since prices have increased i haven't seen soap bar at all, thank fuck :yay: :smoke:

12. Maybe this is just South Yorkshire, but here the only dealers that will rip you off like that are teenagers preying on those that keep going to them, even though they know they're getting ripped off. The times I have none in for whatever reason, I'll ask for an eighth and I'll get one. I pay £25 which is worse than it used to be but there's bound to be inflation, and I understand that because I pay £160 an ounce too. £25 an eighth is £40 profit, £20 an eighth would be £0.
    Age/length of time smoking could be a factor. A lot of the dealers around here I was friends with before they started selling, so they won't rip me off but they possibly do other people. Then there's the young dudes that used to look up to my group when they'd just started smoking and won't rip us off because we didn't them.
    Could partly be due to them not wanting to lose business, if you catch my drift? Showing that they sell worse deals would be a sure way of having customers stolen.:smoke:
    So my point is, once you've been smoking for long enough you're naturally gonna start knowing these people as friends that deal, rather than just as dealers. Who's gonna rip off a friend?

13. No complaints here in Bristol. All about who you know! And the comment about all drug dealers being 'criminal types', not true in my experience although there are of course some shady characters. There's lots of people growing and/or selling decent weed who are perfectly honourable and 'ordinary' people.

14. #34 Helikaon, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    That's the problem though. They're the exact same motivation: dealers sell bud to make extra money because they know there'll always be a market. They're not "shady criminal types", they're just people who want to make some money and know the right people. It's just the perception because even we (meaning our media) seem to think that London and the South East is indicative of the entire country. It is not. We look at London and see 'widespread' criminality and we expect it's the same in all our cities, when it really isn't the case. Sure there's a criminal scene in every city, but nowhere on the scale of London (only Birmingham really approaches it on the scale and even then it's only in the outskirts of the city).

Almost 4 years of buying bud and I have never once felt at threat when I'm buying weed. In that time I must have gone through at least 20 different dealers. Only one of those sources was what I'd call a "criminal entity" and he was the best dealer I've ever had for efficiency and he never once ripped me off.

It's just so fucked up because we're an island. We/They (meaning UK dealers) either homegrow or they have to get it from the continent (which means dealing with the actual criminal underground). It's inherently more risky either way.

Plus because there's no examples of marijuana working in a positive way. Our society immediately turns it's nose up at drugs (yet we have one of the highest alcoholism and chronic heart disease rates in Europe) All people see and hear is Jeremy fucking Kyle telling everyone that weed turns you into a paranoid schizophrenic and that if you take any kind of drug = you're scum leeching off the taxpayer. That's just not the case.

American's think they've got it bad!

Reading that through I realize it barely makes sense. Sorry, got caught up in the righteous fury. Long story short is weed is good.

15. why dont all the people who live near eachother combine funds and rent out a small property for grow purpose

16. 2g isn't even standard in Essex anymore. I can get a nice score of about 2.5g now. It took a bit of time with dealers and stuff, but I've got a solid guy now who doesn't fuck about (too much)

The UK is generally shite for the real high grade.

17. I read this a lot and I don't get it. The stuff I smoke is just as good as the stuff I smoked in Amsterdam.

18. You must be a really lucky man. I'm in Essex, and I get anything from pure cabbage to VERY rare high grade. It's normally just standard ganja. Most bud I get grinds poorly and is NEVER trimmed nicely. Oh well!

I do have a new dealer who is pretty good in terms of the bud, but not the bags as much.

19. spot on

I found if you buy bulk then you actually get a decent amount. Depending on who you know an 8th (£20) will probably get you 1.4 - 2.0g , but like said above its always good weed. I've only been sold schwag once, but I kinda knew what I was letting myself in for anyway.

20. [quote name='"Helikaon"']

It's just the perception because even we (meaning our media) seem to think that London and the South East is indicative of the entire country. It is not. We look at London and see 'widespread' criminality and we expect it's the same in all our cities, when it really isn't the case. Sure there's a criminal scene in every city, but nowhere on the scale of London (only Birmingham really approaches it on the scale and even then it's only in the outskirts of the city)..[/quote]

Interested to know where you live, I don't think London is half as bad as people believe it to be.

Although on that topic, NEVER buy weed in central.. 1.4g is big for £20 there.