Mr. Postmans overgrown closet grow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Mister Postman, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ah, thankyou, i basicaly got it the first time, but i wasnt aware of how the plant gre after a top. So its like after you top, the two verticle growth shoots of the \"Y\" become like new main stems, growing more nodes and allowing you to top them as well correct?

2. That\'s Exactly how that works... That plant in the picture I went on to top all those shoots again, probably many more times LOL. I only 2ft of space for moms, so I trim/top mutiple times just to keep them under the lights...That style works great for mother plants, as they produce lots, and lots of shoots for cloning. For plants I\'m planning to flower out I may top once, and do some slight lst to get an even canopy, but I won\'t top all the shoots again as I want the energy to be focused on a few larger buds, rather then many, many smaller buds.

3. Thanks a lot bro.. Glad you liked reading through a bit of what I\'ve been growing over here in my closet. The purp I grow is my favorite so far, but I\'m really looking forward to these diesels crosses I\'m starting.

I\'ll be sure to check out your grow.. I always wanted to try some cali kush myself. Never had a chance. I smoke kush as in hindu kush- master kush, but none that cali kush. Those kush strain are pretty damn near impossible to get a hold of out this way. Good luck

4. do you think my pots are big enough to not have to transplant again? they\'re all between 10-12 inch wide and about the same dimension in height. :smoking:

5. 10-12in round by 10 deep, that has to be a few gallons.. Maybe 2-3 gallons I\'d say. It would depend on how big your going to grow them in those containers mostly. The rule of thumb is 1ft. of plant for every 1gal of soil, but I just check the roots, and transplant as needed. I have used similar sized pots myself, and have flowered out 2-3ft tall plants in them no problem, with nice yields.. I just check my roots before placing them into flower to make sure they still have some room in the soil for some growth. If the are roots are binding and need a transplant I give it to them. I like to have my final transplant completed a week or two before setting them into flower12/12, just so if there is any transplant stress it\'s not happening at a time where it will be effecting my buds..

I also give my sativa dominate strains larger finishing pots. The same long branchy growth you see on top, it\'s how they grow under the soil. They appreciate deep pots, and room to grow.

6. mister postman!!!! i havent talked to you in a while... busy as usual with the plants i see. they are looking great like always! keep it up

7. You were a little heavy handed when dropping those seeds huh;) .. It\'s alright.. You can do a nice sea of green, and actually yield nicely for the space as long as the enviroment is proper.. If all 15 turn out female It\'s going to be hard to fit them all, but in actuallity half may be male, and you may get a few none thrivers which may be better off scrapped to give room to your more healthy females. So it\'s good to plant a few extra especially if the seeds were free, or found in a bag. It\'s getting warmer now too, so any extra you can run out in the woods, and wish them good luck:D Come back in the early fall to a friggin tree!! Happen to me once.. Tossed a few seeds from my bag, and months later returned, and nearly ran into the most beautiful, and 100% healthy greenest skunk plants... tossed the seeds near some rabbit pens/shit so the soil was incredibly fertile there LOL... It was like finding me a pot of gold... Anyway I need to get me couple rabbits;) I\'m telling you it may be the secret to an incredibly super fertilzer.. All that alphalfa they eat, and good healthy veggies wow that\'s some good shit hehe..

Anyway yeah grow them a little, and flip them to 12/12 a little earlier to keep them smaller, and to get them sexed. They still are going to grow some once placed to 12/12 anyway. If you can get them packed in there you\'ll be yielding many main buds, and yields can be really nice if you got the proper enviroment..

Anyway it\'s coming up upon that time... Gotta go roll one, for the first 4:20 of my day, and get my ass to work....

8. sorry to keep bugging you about this transplanting issue, but here is my dilemma: i checked all my pots and it doesn\'t seem like they are nearly close to rootbound. as i said before, they are 10\" in diameter and about 10\" high. all my plants are ready for flower next week, and you are suggesting that i transplant before i flower...so do you think i should transplant them into slightly larger pots? Two of my plants are hashberry, which you have grown yourself, so you know how massive the root structure can be for that plant...almost ridiculous lol...i have 2 ultra haze as well, which are sativa-dominant, with an expected flowering period that lasts 11-13 weeks, so i should anticipate a shitload of growth...lol...my blueberry is in a pretty big pot, so i\'m not worried about that one...same goes for the honeymoon. oh, and let\'s just say that the average height of all my plants right now is about 18\" ...sorry for the long post!!! :smoking: :smoking:

9. I try to, and have been lucky lineing my transplanting up with the beginning of flower. If you still have room in the pots then no need to transplant. If they look like they\'ll be needing one mid flower then it would be best to do it now prior to them budding. This way any stress that is involved with transplanting is not taking place mid flower.

Yeah I would give those ultra hazes some room to grow as they have longer flower periods, and the larger pots will help cut thet stretch a bit.

10. Woowee Life has been HECTIC the last couple weeks.. I havn\'t posted up any good bud shots in quite some time..

I\'m actually at a down time now. Clean up time.. I had to flower out some moms, make new smaller ones, and had to scrap the strains I\'m no longer gonna be running to make room for my Wonder Diesel\'s in the veg cab:) 9 of 10 sprouted over a few day period. I origanlly started 5, and as I made room I planted the remaining 5 which 4 sprouted... I knew the tenth seed was a dud, but I tried anyway:( . Actually 2 of the 10 seeds of wonder diesel came really hurtin. But all in all 9 outta 10 ain\'t bad... I\'ll share some pics of these as they start to veg a bit, but for now I\'ll share my two flowering ladies for the bud shot junkies.

This was the last of the grapefruit x northern lights... It has late flower herm tendencies if things arn\'t just perfect for her so I won\'t be flowering out any more of these. i figure since I have nothing really going now, and all in all it gets deep enough into flower where some would actually say it\'s ripe, but I just don\'t like herms, and I have plans to do a few crosses, or I\'m searching for really hearty parent stocl. I have more seeds of this strain so I\'ll dip back in eventually I\'m sure. This clone was topped, and vegged till about 10-12 inches then placed into 12/12. A nice stretch, and beutiful colas are evident:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is another PPP clone grown bush style. I had some problems with soil mix I used for this plant, and battled shit all through late veg, and early flower... It came down to repotting out of the mix into a good organic ammended mix to get things back on track. Same mix which I planted the gf x nl in which is doing outstanding.. I\'ll get more into that mix when it\'s time to transplant the wnder diesel\'s Finally though this plant is budding strong, and started to fill out nicely, and quality doesn\'t seem to have suffered any..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ooo soooooo purpleeeeee such a beautiful plant. great job :hello:

12. yes, very beautiful plants..:smoking:

what type of problems did u encounter with your soil mix?

13. Well it had phosphorus added to it to begin with which I think got me off on the wrong foot to start. It seemed to start with to much phosphorus which led to Potassium deficiency, which led to mag/cal issues.. Right away i should transplanted out of the soil, but I tried to fix it by cutting back on feedings which didn\'t seem to help any:p. Thats what I get for trying to go cheap on the soil.. I got tired of having to pay shipping for brand name dirt LOL. Oh well live and learn....

The grapefruit is actually in mircle grow organic soil cut with coco, and perlite... I mixed in a cup full of fox farms piece of mind starter organic, and have been feeding 8ml liquid karma, 1tsp blackstrap molasses/1tsp sucunat (dissolved in warm water to feed the soil, and give the buds that sweet organic taste), and 10ml sensizym (to break down the organics in the soil) per gallon.. Mid flower I\'ll add a couple teaspoons of piece of mind into the top of the soil, and finish out watering with only the mollasses/sucanat and let the plant naturally use up whats in the soil, and harvest me some organic goodness:D well not sure if sensizym is organic, but as organic as I can get it LOL.. Would be nice to do away with all those liquid ferts.... Could also feed a little pure blend pro mid flower as a boost I guess if I feel the yield needs that. I don\'t know gonna mess around with this mix for a bit and see what I can do with it..

14. Jeez, those budshots make me hungry :eek:

15. lol...you have no idea what a relief it was to read this post...last night i went to Home Depot looking for some potting soil for my transplants and the only soil i was able to find was also miracle grow\'s organic choice potting mix...there\'s so much criticism towards miracle grow soil on all the forums on this site so i must have stood in the same spot for a good half hour debating whether to buy it or not. lol.. then i just realized that this type of MG soil doesn\'t have all that other slow-release bullshit in it so i finally bought it. ahh, what a relief...:p

16. mr postman
    am planing a grow so i can stop getting ripped off from dealers who sell wet badly cared for bud
    my grow closet is 3.5\'X5.5\' 8 \'tall
    i want 18 full sized plants in 5 gallon pots
    my Q is do you think 3 400 watt hids 2 hps 1 mH or 1 1000 watt hps with a 400 watt MH for lighting? allso what are some good feminised strains that yealds well ?
    much love and respect
    morbazon420

17. 1 plant per square foot is doable for some strains, but most who cram them in like that are using clones, and are not expecting to harvest full sized plants in 5 gallon buckets, but rather shorter sea of green grown plants which concentrates on 1 large main cola per plant grown in smaller 1-2gallon pots. From clone the plants are chronalogically ready to be flowered, so they can be placed in flower as soon as rooted, and they will start blooming right away. Even though they are tiny, and just rooted they were taken from a mother plant of a mature age so they are ready to bloom as soon as they root. From seed the plants are young, and will have to grow for a while before being mature enough to set flower, so even if you place them into 12/12 early at a small size they will not start flowering until mature enough to do so which may make it hard to fit them all.. What I would do is use the first round to select the best plants... Take clones of them all, and after harvest see which plant was the best, and run that one next round alone. Clones will have the same growth characteristics, and will be ready to flower at any time which will make fitting 1 per square foot much easier..

In my opinion 1200-1400 watts is a hell of a lot of light for the space. Your cooling/exhaust will have to be on point to exhaust all the heat they\'ll be putting off in an enclosed area. As long as you have cool tubes, or enclosed fixtures and good exhaust system to take the heat out of the growing area it can be done, and the more light the better your yields.. I personally like having more lower watt bulbs, and being able to provide full coverage of the whole area then having 1 large 1000 watter that has to be pulled far off the canopy to be able to cover the area.. Lower wattage bulbs closer to the tops of the plants is how I like my set up personally. if I\'m using my 250s I grow more smaller plants, and when I have my 400\'s going I fill the space with fewer larger plants.

I tired 2 fem strains so far and both were prone to hermie in late flower.. Fem seeds are made from stressing a plant to the point it hermies, and pollenates other females. The seeds produced have a much higher probability to be female, but also a higher probability to herm IME. The herm trait/characteristic or the predisposition to herm can be passed along like any other growth trait. In some cases making fem seeds has it\'s place like for saving a strain from dieing off, or bringing clone only strains to market for breding, but for the advancment of gentic cultivars the process of making fem seeds is damaging, and a step in the wrong direction IMO.. Passing along the predisposition to herm under stressful conditions is the last thing we want bred into our marijuana plants. I had to try them, but after tryig them I\'d rather start more plants, and weed out the males, and keep only the healthiest, strongest females as keepers. At least I now in most cases males will be males, and females will be females.. None of this fmeale plants with 1 hidden male branch that ruins the crop. Also this way if I ever want to use them for breeding down the road I\'m not startying off with a higher probability of herms, but instead solid 100% females. We\'re seeing this now with the diesels... One of it\'s parents was the product of an accidental hermie pollenation, and now even years, and numerous crosses later the strain still is inflicted with a higher percentage of herms in late flower then most others.

18. Wow... over the past 3 days (due to college) I have read through these 60 pages. Very helpful...many useful pieces of info in there. I was thinking of doing a hybrid autopot hydroponics system. It shall be an adventure. As many have said in the past... a true inspiration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.