What advanced nutrients should I use?(want to drop lucas formula)

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Subiebotz, Jan 22, 2012.

1. What's going on GC, I wanted to stop using lucas(head) formula and move onto AN. But I heard they stoped making monkey juice and that was a coco coir nutri...So what do you use inplace of the MJ? Do you use the sensi A & B line or iguana juice A & B? Thanks for the replys.

2. ive used AN in the past. i would suggest the basics.....

sensi a/b grow
    sensi a/b bloom
    big bud
    nirvana
    overdrive

3. Hey, have either of you used any of the GH nutes?

I'm at a sort of crossroad moment . . . trying choose my next set of nutes. There seems to be a lot of AN users out there, but also a lot of very devoted GH users.

I've heard a lot of talk about this lucas formula, not sure what to make of it.

For me, not sure I want to try anything that's too far out on the edge, just want to use nutes that work, get predictable results.

4. I haven't done a coco grow yet, but I have used both AN and GH, and I got similar results using both. I'm giving AN another go this time around to see if maybe I can improve a little bit with it.

5. I'm a big fan of Sensi A&B.

I use the Expert Growing bundle:

Sensi A&B Grow
    Sensi A&B Bloom
    Voodoo Juice
    Big Bud
    B-52
    Overdrive

Iguana Juice is good too, but it's been a while since I've used it...

6. I'm on reverse here, lol. However I've been using AN for the past 3 years. Just 2 weeks ago I start multiples mediums test and with Coco I'm trying Lucas Formula.

With AN, I use:

Micro-Grow-Bloom (Veg.)
    Sensi Bloom A&B
    Big Bud
    OverDrive
    Bud Candy

I have no complaints, however I want to try myself the theory that AN is worth every penny.

7. I did the Lucas Formula with my last grow; however I modified it to use Big Bud, OverDrive, and Bud Candy. I did the AN additives at half strength, and the Lucas Formula at a reduced strength as well. My plants seemed to like it.

8. If you're tired of the Lucas formula you can use either a 2 or a 3 part formula, it doesn't matter.

If you don't have a problem with the Lucas formula, but just want to switch brands to see if you like the difference, you'll want to stick with the 3 part formulas that Advanced Nutrients makes. Both work perfectly with the Lucas formula you're already familiar with (in fact, Jungle Juice is the same as GH's Flora series, just made better).

At the moment AN doesn't have any coco nutrients. Coco is problematic for nutrient manufacturers because it's so inconsistent. There aren't any industry standards governing it so some companies just stuff it into bags and sell it as-is (sea salt and all) while others actually rinse it and make sure it's the best quality they can sell. And either way, it's a very young organic media that will decompose and radically change, chemically, over time. So it's very difficult to make certain your nutrients will work with all coco regardless of supplier and product age.

That said, AN doesn't work any worse than anyone else with coco. Everyone's at an equal disadvantage. The main thing with coco is to compensate for its habit of soaking up and withholding certain nutes, which is what "coco nutrients" address. Advanced Nutrients is coming out with a coco-specific nutrient but I don't know how soon.

I never got a coco grow dialed in quite right so I gave up on it long ago. I can't give too much first-hand advice there but I know guys that grow with coco and AN nutes and don't have any trouble. So their nutes can work great in coco, they're just not "for" coco.

If you're set on using coco I'd just say that you would be equally well-off with either the original formula base nutrients or the newer pH Perfect formulas. They won't guarantee your pH to be perfect in coco, but there isn't much if any price difference between the two that I've seen, and it definitely wouldn't hurt.

So to sum up, I would say to get Jungle Juice, Sensi Grow/Bloom, or the Grow/Micro/Bloom three part depending on your budget and preference. Jungle Juice or the GMB if you want to go with Lucas, any of the three if you don't.

Keep the additives simple. Just one or two at most. I recommend at least Big Bud. If you get too many things it will be really easy to screw things up if you're not comfortable using several different things at different times, and if you use half a dozen AN products it won't be a fair comparison to the GH you're used to. AN will just school it.

9. Coco and AN ph perfect hobbiest= awesome

Just remember, always flush every three weeks

10. ive used AN's jungle juice micro/bloom w/ H3ads 6/9 in the past with pretty good results. i always had quite a bit of yellowing after dropping the micro in flower, thats the only reason i switched to from that to maxibloom in flower

11. The H3ad formula is for any two part nutrients... From GH, AN, or Hollands Secret or whatever...as long as there is a micro and bloom or a&b then you can use them with the H3ad formula.

However I will tell you that the price of AN nutrients is not worth the results.. You can get the exact same results using Connoisseur as you can using regular GH micro and bloom... and for WAY cheaper. Don't fall into the marketing gimmick of PH perfect or how these nutrients will be better for your plants than the cheaper versions... its a complete waste of money bro.

12. #12 SCMC, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    This is not true.

First of all, the ratio of Micro to Bloom for the Lucas Formula depends on the ppm levels of each element from the General Hydroponics Micro and Bloom. Different Micro and Bloom from different companies will require different ratios because they have different concentrations. GH Micro is not AN Micro or CES Micro. They are all, very obviously, different and a smart grower would see this.

The biggest difference (and advantage in coco) is that the Lucas Formula with GH provides an adequate amount of Magnesium while other systems will need a touch of Epsom to bring that element into a proper ratio for coco.

Secondly, I have run the numbers on many systems and the least expensive aren't too different. As I remember it the Advanced Nutrients Micro+Bloom contains about 25% more elements than the GH versions which reduces ml/gallon. What we have to look at is how many gallons of solution could be mixed up, at a specific concentration, and divide that number of gallons into the price.

In most cases these systems run from ~$0.08 per gallon to ~$0.12 per gallon. I will need to review these numbers for the various systems I calculated but as I remember it there is not much, if any, difference in price between AN Micro+Bloom at 4/6 than GH Micro+Bloom at 6/8, to achieve about the same calculated concentration of nutrition. For the sake of a grow, there really is no major savings on one micro+bloom to the next. For the most part we're buying things by the liter and we're growing a reasonable number of plants. The whole penny pinching thing is more important for the commercial operators - but someone with a job and a penchant for experimentation shouldn't be afraid to spend an extra $15. When we're harvesting hundreds of grams of bud... The fuck do I care about $15 if it produced a higher quality product. If it didn't, then go back to the cheaper system.

And if you're a real Jewy-Jew and need to pinch those pennies get yourself a nice bag of Jack's Professional Hydroponic and Cal-Nitrate. These are basically a Micro+Bloom but as salts and a 5lbs bag lasts a lifetime for like $20. To each their own I say.

PS. I like the nutrient profile of Connoisseur A+B for coco. I think that their Overdrive 1-5-4 would be a useful addition for Bloom, although you might get more bang for your buck out of GH Liquid Kool Bloom or Botanicare Hydroplex.

Please respect all religions-PF

13. [quote name='"SCMC"']

This is not true.

First of all, the ratio of Micro to Bloom for the Lucas Formula depends on the ppm levels of each element from the General Hydroponics Micro and Bloom. Different Micro and Bloom from different companies will require different ratios because they have different concentrations. GH Micro is not AN Micro or CES Micro. They are all, very obviously, different and a smart grower would see this.

The biggest difference (and advantage in coco) is that the Lucas Formula with GH provides an adequate amount of Magnesium while other systems will need a touch of Epsom to bring that element into a proper ratio for coco.

Secondly, I have run the numbers on many systems and the least expensive aren't too different. As I remember it the Advanced Nutrients Micro+Bloom contains about 25% more elements than the GH versions which reduces ml/gallon. What we have to look at is how many gallons of solution could be mixed up, at a specific concentration, and divide that number of gallons into the price.

In most cases these systems run from ~$0.08 per gallon to ~$0.12 per gallon. I will need to review these numbers for the various systems I calculated but as I remember it there is not much, if any, difference in price between AN Micro+Bloom at 4/6 than GH Micro+Bloom at 6/8, to achieve about the same calculated concentration of nutrition. For the sake of a grow, there really is no major savings on one micro+bloom to the next. For the most part we're buying things by the liter and we're growing a reasonable number of plants. The whole penny pinching thing is more important for the commercial operators - but someone with a job and a penchant for experimentation shouldn't be afraid to spend an extra $15. When we're harvesting hundreds of grams of bud... The fuck do I care about $15 if it produced a higher quality product. If it didn't, then go back to the cheaper system.

And if you're a real Jewy-Jew and need to pinch those pennies get yourself a nice bag of Jack's Professional Hydroponic and Cal-Nitrate. These are basically a Micro+Bloom but as salts and a 5lbs bag lasts a lifetime for like $20. To each their own I say.

PS. I like the nutrient profile of Connoisseur A+B for coco. I think that their Overdrive 1-5-4 would be a useful addition for Bloom, although you might get more bang for your buck out of GH Liquid Kool Bloom or Botanicare Hydroplex.[/quote]

Sounds like you got it all figured out bro.:rolleyes:

Feel free to keep on paying more for your "advanced" nutes and getting "superior" results... Haha I'll keep using my GH with fantastic results while hardly spending anything on them.

I'm sure you could argue all day that AN is better, And I've already said what I came to say so......

P.S. As soon as you add any other kind of nutrients other than micro, bloom, and calmag/Epsom salts you are no longer following the H3ad formula. It was designed for not having to add anything even late in flowering.

14. I have always and most likely will always use fox farms organic bloom booster cause its got liquid earthworm castings and bat guano and crazy other shit in there to make your plants feel good. All you need straight up and why go with something that isn't organic? you do realize your smoking it right so any inorganic compound may end up in the bud that you pack in your pipe.

15. GH Micro: 5-0-1 5%Ca
    GH Bloom: 0-5-4 1.5%Mg

The calculated minimum profile from the 6/8 Lucas Formula: 80ppm - 46ppm - 71ppm Calcium: 80ppm, Magnesium: 32ppm

The Micro is $10.95/qt before shipping at igrowhydro.com.
    At 6ml per gallon, with 946ml in the quart, that is 157.66 gallons of solution for a price of $0.069 per gallon.

The Bloom is $8.95/qt before shipping at igrowhydro.com
    At 8ml per gallon, with 946ml in the quart, that is 118.25 gallons of solution for a price of $0.076 per gallon.

The total price of the Lucas Formula is $0.145 per gallon.

AN Micro: 5.3-0-1.4 5.4% Calcium
    AN Bloom: 0-6.8-5 1.2% Magnesium

The mixture should be 6ml Micro 6ml Bloom for a minimum calculated nutrient profile of: 84ppm - 47ppm - 66ppm Calcium: 86ppm Magnesium: 19ppm

The Micro is $14.95 per liter at igrowhydro.com.
    At 6ml per gallon, and 1000ml per Liter, that is 166.67 gallons of solution for a price of $0.09 per gallon.

The Bloom is $11.95 per liter at igrowhydro.com
    At 6ml per gallon, and 1000ml per Liter, that is 166.67 gallons of solution for a price of $0.072 per gallon

The total price of AN to mimic the Lucas formula (you'd want 1/8tsp per gallon of Epsom Salt too) is $0.162 per gallon.

The price difference is $0.017 per gallon.

Or, over the course of 118.25 gallons of solution (the most you can get before you need to buy more GH bloom) the price difference is $2.02, plus maybe another $1 for the Epsom Salt used.

Three dollars. That's the difference. God! What a rip off Advanced Nutrients is... Right? :rolleyes:

I agree that the pH perfect lineup is not a good deal, as they have drastically reduced the levels. A pH perfect Micro/Bloom replica of the Lucas Formula's Profile would need to be 10ml Micro and 10ml Bloom per gallon. The "old" Micro+Bloom from AN is a much better value.

So, yes, I do have it all figured out. It really isn't hard to do, they're just numbers. The deviations in ppm numbers between the two systems is tough to negotiate. I might think that with the AN system 5.5ml Micro and 6.5ml Bloom might be a better profile... And this would actually reduce the cost per gallon by a very small amount, making it competitive.

Cutting Edge Solutions has a similar cost per gallon. As I remember it, CNS17 also is about the same cost per gallon.

16. [quote name='"SCMC"']GH Micro: 5-0-1 5%Ca
    GH Bloom: 0-5-4 1.5%Mg

The calculated minimum profile from the 6/8 Lucas Formula: 80ppm - 46ppm - 71ppm Calcium: 80ppm, Magnesium: 32ppm

The Micro is $10.95/qt before shipping at igrowhydro.com.
    At 6ml per gallon, with 946ml in the quart, that is 157.66 gallons of solution for a price of $0.069 per gallon.

The Bloom is $8.95/qt before shipping at igrowhydro.com
    At 8ml per gallon, with 946ml in the quart, that is 118.25 gallons of solution for a price of $0.076 per gallon.

The total price of the Lucas Formula is $0.145 per gallon.

AN Micro: 5.3-0-1.4 5.4% Calcium
    AN Bloom: 0-6.8-5 1.2% Magnesium

The mixture should be 6ml Micro 6ml Bloom for a minimum calculated nutrient profile of: 84ppm - 47ppm - 66ppm Calcium: 86ppm Magnesium: 19ppm

The Micro is $14.95 per liter at igrowhydro.com.
    At 6ml per gallon, and 1000ml per Liter, that is 166.67 gallons of solution for a price of $0.09 per gallon.

The Bloom is $11.95 per liter at igrowhydro.com
    At 6ml per gallon, and 1000ml per Liter, that is 166.67 gallons of solution for a price of $0.072 per gallon

The total price of AN to mimic the Lucas formula (you'd want 1/8tsp per gallon of Epsom Salt too) is $0.162 per gallon.

The price difference is $0.017 per gallon.

Or, over the course of 118.25 gallons of solution (the most you can get before you need to buy more GH bloom) the price difference is $2.02, plus maybe another $1 for the Epsom Salt used.

Three dollars. That's the difference. God! What a rip off Advanced Nutrients is... Right? :rolleyes:

I agree that the pH perfect lineup is not a good deal, as they have drastically reduced the levels. A pH perfect Micro/Bloom replica of the Lucas Formula's Profile would need to be 10ml Micro and 10ml Bloom per gallon. The "old" Micro+Bloom from AN is a much better value.

So, yes, I do have it all figured out. It really isn't hard to do, they're just numbers. The deviations in ppm numbers between the two systems is tough to negotiate. I might think that with the AN system 5.5ml Micro and 6.5ml Bloom might be a better profile... And this would actually reduce the cost per gallon by a very small amount, making it competitive.

Cutting Edge Solutions has a similar cost per gallon. As I remember it, CNS17 also is about the same cost per gallon.[/quote]

:wave:

17. [quote name='"SCMC"']

This is not true.

PS. I like the nutrient profile of Connoisseur A+B for coco. I think that their Overdrive 1-5-4 would be a useful addition for Bloom, although you might get more bang for your buck out of GH Liquid Kool Bloom or Botanicare Hydroplex.[/quote]

Plus rep as soon as I get to a computer....once again your math is superior....I like the fact that you back your statements with facts....tell me how awesome your stuff is all day long, proving it is a whole other matter

If you ever get free time figure out how much more PH perfect is...I don't really care how much more expensive it is,I hate ph'ing...glad I don't do that any more

18. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm super stoked to use the pH Perfect® technology that Advanced Nutrients has cooked up. I mean, so long as you use the nutrients correctly (ahem, folks), you will see awesome results and NO pH troubles.

Imagine that.

The only thing I've found that you HAVE to do is to make sure you're using the Hobbyist level pH Perfect nutrients since not using them would just be plain stupid. LOL

19. LMFAO!

That ought to shut up the "costs too much" and "ripoff" crowds.

Of course it won't.

But it ought to!

20. Lol.

If math were easy... It'd be their mom.

Haters gotta hate.