Anyone know male/female seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by meigsgold, Jan 17, 2012.

1. It is possible to predict if a plant will be male or female,by looking at the seeds?..or a bigger percentage turn out to be females?

2. No, that's not possible. I guess you would have to analyze the DNA which would be a little bit expensive.

3. Seeds are not already programed as a seed to be male or female. This is usually decided in the first 3 weeks of the seedlings life. If you put the least amount of stress on it it usually will end up female. This is basically the plant just wanting to continue its gene pool and males can make more reproductive pollen than females can make seeds (in turn saving energy and making most product possible).

4. ^^ hummmmm.

you can just buy femmed seeds. and it will increase the odds of them being female. xome companies boast a 99% chance of them being female. In my Exp with them I have yet to get a femmed seed that was a male or herm.

5. that is a process which reduces the chances of the male chromosome from the male plant showing in the seed. Same as you changing your hair color. You chemically changed it, but at some point your natural hair color will show through which is why fem seeds are not 100%

6. The next question is,how do they manipulate things that produces females...or femminized as seed banks refer to.?

7. "It was very difficult to make these seeds," he explained. "There were several years of experiments that went into this. At first, we relied on the fact that if you let females flower a long time without getting pollen, near the end of their life cycle some will try to pollinate themselves. But this did not produce a reliable amount of pollen. Then, we tried hormone and chemical agents. The hormone produced pollen, but it also affected the plants in other ways that we didn't like. We tried other applications, and found some that could change basic female plants into plants that produced pollen, which we then used to fertilize other 100% female plants to produce what we used to call ?female seeds.'"

source :Feminized seeds | Cannabis Culture Magazine in bye bye boys section

8. yes there is a way to check seed for male or female. get a microscope at least 60X zoom. zoom in on the seed and check for a penis or a vagina.

9. In MJ, gender is genetically predetermined. Females have XX chromosomes, males have XY chromosomes.

If sex was not predetermined then there would be no way to produce feminized seeds (nor would there be any point).

10. Good replys.I once knew an old guy who said he could seperate his seeds in a way,that most were fems.Thats why I asked the questions.Keep any good replies coming.In fact he grew some of the hugest plants I ever seen,20ft and over.

11. Wanted tp update this,Today I got my first order online.,From looking at the beans I got,regular and feminized..What the old guy told me looks true...which is..

The smaller more rounded seeds will turn out more females..and the larger more enlongated seeds will produce more males.From the looks of my feminized seeds...this seems to hold true..,most of my regular seeds are very much larger....this old guy sure grew some great weed back in the 7os...and nobody but 2-3 people ever knew.

12. I have to call BS on that. Not true!!! It's common knowledge that pink seeds are female and blue seeds are male. Don't need a microscope!!!

13. #14 ClubBlitz, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
    There are some things that are correct here and some things that very wrong. First it is not possible to determine sex of a plant based on the seed. The only thing that a seed can help to determine is if its a sativa or indica based on if its spotted or not and sometimes the area from which the seed originates and if its more related to an outdoor or indoor strain based on the size. Of course this is just a way to get a rough guess of what the plant will be because there are of course many strains that are exceptions to what I previously said.
    Also plants do not determine sex until after they germinate. Certain things such as temperature and the ratio of nutrients can cause the plant to become one sex over the other. For example, causing the plant to be stressed though heat tends to cause more males then females to be produced. The way feminized seeds are produced is that these come from hermaphroditic plants which create mostly female plants and the occasional plant that is doomed to be hermaphroditic. That's why plants that come from bag seed, especially when there are a lot of seeds, tend to produce seeds the grow into females. This is because these plants are usually hermaphrodites and the grower either doesnt notice the male pollen sacs or doesn't care about them.

14. I have noticed that the long thinner seeds tends to turn out males.Who knows,nothing is an exact science when guessing eh.Just notice next time you plant,sorta notice if your long seeds turn male....makes sense about herms tho..