Philosophy of veganism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by hurb1, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Please read about supply and demand.

2. Like geido said, support local slaughterhouses.

You also cant compare slavery to this because cows, chickens, and pigs have no concept of anything outside their pen. Its all the same to them. They cant understand the concept of freedom and liberty. Humans can.

3. #23 rusty bob, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    ahh nevermind money is a powerful motivator.

But it seems to me that this philosophy would be better served by converting people, not depriving yourself

4. The needless enslavement problem isnt solved. Deciding how and when to end a sentient creatures life is an act of needless violence. This isnt an act of working toward world peace.

5. Are you going to force all the lions to go vegan too?

6. It's not really needless if it's nommy though. The human body has evolved to eat meat, calling it needless is intellectually dishonest.

7. So if you put your dog or cat in a cage you think they wont start meowing and scratching to get out after the first day, weeks, months, or years? Go try it.(actually dont, thats animal abuse). Animals know what is pleasurable and what is not. Being trapped alone causes immense anxiety and struggle. So of course animals know what freedom is, or the lack thereof.

8. You must not be familiar with 'free-range' meat

9. The ability to survive off the digestion of animal flesh was an evolutionary adaptation for survival in conditions where plant life was unavailable. It is not a necessity in the day and age of supermarkets. Again like i said in my original post, eating animals is not necessary for a healthy human existence. Considering that the nutrition found in the suffering of sentient animals is also found in the non sentient plant kingdom. I could use your logic and argue that humans are capable of eating death cap mushrooms, and since we are able to digest them we are supposed to be eating them. Even though you would die within hours if you attempted to incorporate them into your diet. Ability to digest something does not equal the necessity.

10. Veganism is Morally good IMO, but against nature.

Exploitation of animals is wrong, to deny your body of meat is just stupid.
    Why not hunt your own meat or buy meat from smaller markets.

11. Viatmin B-12

12. Because veganism is an imperfect solution to all of the worlds suffering is not justification for rejecting a diet that halts individual instances of suffering.

13. Someone is completely unaware of the necessitous nature of the circle of life.

Hint: It's the OP.

Death brings life, life brings death.

14. Quit with the pseudo-intellectual crap. Using big words wont make you look smarter.

15. You are throwing stones. You need to state a reason why you know denying a body of meat to be, "just stupid".

16. Microorganisms, primarily bacteria, are the only known organisms that manufacture B12. These bacteria live in bodies of water and soil. Animals get B12 by eating food and soil contaminated with these microorganisms. These bacteria also live inside animals digestive tracts. It is possible to avoid any type of B12 deficiency on a vegan diet. Also for those concerned, Vitamin B12 supplements are available.

17. See ad hominem logical fallacy

18. No, Im saying cut the bullshit. Not a logical fallacy. Just a statement

19. Answer the question in my original post. Refute or counter one of the arguments. Im not interested in your opinion.

20. [quote name='"hurb1"']
    The needless enslavement problem isnt solved. Deciding how and when to end a sentient creatures life is an act of needless violence. This isnt an act of working toward world peace.[/quote]

Ur right its an act of werld hunger

[quote name='"hurb1"']
    So you are arguing that lifelong enslavement into miserable conditions is somehow justified by the fact that there isnt a crescendo of suffering at the end? By that logic slavery would still be legal. We could breed Africans into chains so long as they are given a humane lethal injection at the end. Would the Africans in chains agree that their existence was win, win? Of course not.[/quote]

Dude we are modern day slaves suffering everyday at our jobs and lifes
    Hurb1 makes alot of good points and so does everyone else, but do u really need to bash his beliefs, please try to be more respectul and open minded towards others, not everyones gonna agree but i believe u cant disagree wit him netheir