Philosophy of veganism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by hurb1, Jan 16, 2012.

1. #1 hurb1, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
    Pursuing a healthy human existence does not require the needless enslavement, torture, and suffering of innocent sentient creatures. Everything found in the suffering of animals can be found in the plant kingdom. (calcium,protein,fat,nutrients,minerals,EFA's)

So what good reason is there for justifying needless slaughter/violence when we all want world peace?

• Agree Agree x 1

2. i agree wit u somewhat.. hey if u were livin in the woods in the winter.. wat are u eating, how are u surving.. the way they treat animals for slaughter and shh i admitt i dont like it,its wrong, but everything found in the suffering of animals can be found in the animal kingdom. something always eats something.. if i had a choice id eat veggies alot more and only eat meat that is dying or to over populated

3. it's all or nothing dude. if you're gonna be vegan just throw away your computer and go build a yurt.

i don't eat any meat I didn't kill

4. thats a good way to go about eating meat, jus eat wat u kill... i needa new bow

5. lmao i see where the vegans are coming from but its survival of the fittest, jus dont be greedy if ur takin milk from a cow jus fill up a bucket instead of running her dry..

im sure theyd like some milk

6. Please see the sticky thread of logical fallacies.
    Also, please answer the question directly.
    (i have edited an underline under the question for your convenience )

7. I'll tell you why...

Because steak is fucking delicious.

Baked chicken? Nom nom nom.

Thinly cut slices of a pig? Hell yeah.

A big fat bison ground up in my spaghetti? Yes please.

A gobbly gobbler slow cooked for hours... Mmm delicious.

8. Because nom.
    Like I need a better reason.

9. is there any truth behind this statement??

10. #12 hurb1, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    "When the right listening devices turned on it sounds like the plants are screaming when this occurs"
    The release of gas from a plants leaves isnt the sound of suffering, its the sound of releasing gas from a plants leave. Plants do not have a central nervous system and thus can not feel pain therefore you do not see them expressing somthing that they arent feeling. Sentient creatures on the other hand can feel pain and thats why they scream. Humans scream, does that mean they are suffering? Yes. Dogs and cats scream. Does that mean they are feeling pain? Yes. Cows, pigs, and chickens scream. Does that mean they are feeling pain? Yes, of course. Screaming is a universal sign of distress of a sentient creature enduring suffering.

11. I like to use all my teeth, not just the parts for chewing plant matter.

Here's a hint op: starting the same thread over and over again means you don't deserve a serious response.

animals kill animals.

we're animals.

12. [quote name='"hurb1"']"When the right listening devices turned on it sounds like the plants are screaming when this occurs"
    The release of gas from a plants leaves isnt the sound of suffering, its the sound of releasing gas from a plants leave. Plants do not have a central nervous system and thus can not feel pain therefore you do not see them expressing somthing that they arent feeling. Sentient creatures on the other hand can feel pain and thats why they scream. Humans scream, does that mean they are suffering? Yes. Dogs and cats scream. Does that mean they are feeling pain? Yes. Cows, pigs, and chickens scream. Does that mean they are feeling pain? Yes, of course. Screaming is a universal sign of distress of a sentient creature enduring suffering.[/quote]

So wat bout orgasams

13. So pain is your main argument.

Thats good because current slaughterhouses kill instantly with no pain.

Win win, even though I know you will come back saying its not painless, but it is.

14. Vegans suffer from many diseases.

Anyways, you are not a fucking koala herbivore, you are human and are made to eat a combination of many types of food (meat, vegetables)

15. So you are arguing that lifelong enslavement into miserable conditions is somehow justified by the fact that there isnt a crescendo of suffering at the end? By that logic slavery would still be legal. We could breed Africans into chains so long as they are given a humane lethal injection at the end. Would the Africans in chains agree that their existence was win, win? Of course not.

16. the animal is dead when you go to buy it. It has already been slaughtered and packaged, and not eating it would be even worse than killing it again.

i see the logic if there is no meat left in the store and you want to avoid ordering some more. But if it's already there? One customer more or less doesn't really make a difference.

17. Eat locally sourced, free range meat so you can check out the conditions. Problem solved.

18. If you want to counter argue that a vegan diet is somehow unhealthy, we need to know what is the disease that only vegans get?