Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. #201 Julius Caesar, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    Edit

2. #202 waktoo, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    It must be absolute bliss living a life of ignorance...

The answer to your question is in post #1.

3. [​IMG]

4. I read it before I posted and then re-read after your reply. I cannot find the answer to my question in post #1.

5. Are the microbial species and propagule counts listed on the back of the bag?

What you want as far as endo' species goes is Glomus intraradices and Glomus mosseae.  These are the mycorrhizal species that form symbiotic relations with cannabis.

Go back again to post #1 and really read the part about Trichoderma.  A lot of myc' inoculants available these days have crazy high amounts of Trichoderma in relation to beneficial mycorrhizal species.  Sure the myc's are in there, but they just wind up as a food source for the Trichoderma due to the nature of how they both grow.

In the future, you may want to think about purchasing this inoculant (the VAM Endo-mix).  It's what the majority of us around here use.  Their humic and fulvic acids are also some of the very best on the market...

http://www.bioag.com/ourproducts.html

Sorry I got all snarky with you...

• Like Like x 1
  6. #206 over dere, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I'm suspicious about any and all gardening products which do not list the so-called 'active ingredients' - especially from this company. They've been tied-in with the giant pumpkin hobby for several years and they're used to dealing with a different mind-set than organic gardeners. 

7. I thought you were saying the post specifically mentioned that product. No wonder I couldn't find it. I will buy some with those two species you mentioned. Thanks.

8. #208 zackw419, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    I forgot to add mycorhizae when repotting. The plants are in their final resting place. How can I go from here to colonize roots?

Poke a few holes in the soil at different depths with a bamboo skewer. Drop a pinch of myco granules in each hole and water your plants. Once the roots make contact with the granules, infection will occur.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #210 zackw419, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    thanks. is it possible to add too much?

I know you said just a pinch. I am just curious....

All it really takes is one granule to infect the entire plant. I know it seems like not enough but it is. It won't hurt to overdue it either, maybe a couple of pinches for peace of mind.

12. I definitely overdid it then. oh well...

13. @ Chunk-

"Infection", or "inoculation"?

Infection sounds yucky...

14. Impregnated...

15. Would rhizomorphic isolation benefit at all like it does with shrooms? Just curious

From Wiki:

When arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal hyphae encounter the root of a host plant, an appressorium (an infection structure) is formed on the root epidermis. The appressorium is the structure from which the hyphae can penetrate into the host's parenchyma cortex.<sup>[14]</sup> The formation of appressoria does not require chemical signals from the plant. AM fungi could form appressoria on the cell walls of “ghost” cells in which the protoplast had been removed to eliminate signaling between the fungi and the plant host. However, the hyphae did not further penetrate the cells and grow in toward the root cortex, which indicates that signaling between symbionts is required for further growth once appressoria are formed.<sup>[9]</sup>

Yes, infection sounds a little intense but it is the word I've seen used for years to describe this process.

Buddy Jackstraw

That's from Sustainable Agricultural Technologies in Cottage Grove, Oregon. Their main thrust is a vermicomposting bin that they manufacture called The Worm Wigwam and a line of compost tea brewers.

The way that they're measuring the propagules (i.e. per lb.) makes it difficult to compare with other products out there.

CC

[​IMG]

18. Propagules w as the only part I was unsure of, but thats prolly on page one too. Lol. That explains the price difference. I will probably just order some VAM along with ful power whenever I run out.

Thanks for the response Coot. Spent last night listening to The Adam Dunn show with you and Jeremy on there. I suggest anyone that's too lazy to read to check out the couple shows you are a guest. Listening to The Rev is all "ok" I guess but the information you speak of on there is covering is much more valuable to ANY gardener. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

19. Actually just noticed BAS says 60k per lb for theirs. SAT is claiming 100k. And that is one hell of a worm bin. Little out of my price range though.