can you clone an auto-flowering plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mylastNugg, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can an auto-flowering plant be cloned? If so at what stage? I've heard before that this isnt possible but i doubt that

2. You can, but there is no need.
    What I mean by that is the clone will continue to flower finishing with in days of the mother.

3. Lol to the trolls. The correct answer would be Auto-Flowering varieties Flower according to a "genetic timeline" and not dependent on a photo-period. So while you can take a clone from an auto-flowering female, quite successfully, it will retain the same "genetic timeline" as the mother, and throw itself into flowering accordingly.

4. #4 Imalittleteapot, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    [quote name='"VisineRocks"']

WTF? Have you tried it? I have. I'm not spreading false info this is true.
    GTFO if you haven't tried it, and your just going by what you read.[/quote]

Yes I have, and guess what?!?!? It rooted great! But finished about a week after the mom. So it Had a very small yield. It was a waste of time

I don't understand how you "controlled" the flowering period on an AUTOflowering species when you talk about genetic predisposition and how it doesn't change from mother to clone.

Visine sucks by the way. Rhoto Rocks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lol man with all this arguing i still dont get the answer ha. So could someone give me an actuall answer without trying to start an arguement and possibly give some details lol.

Can autoflowers actually be cloned? If some can anyone explain this to me like there growth cycle etc. I wanted to clone mines buttt i just wabted some advice

6. Yes you can.
    But the problem is, the clone will continue on the mother's time line. Meaning it will finish with in days of the mother, being very small and not worth the time or effort, honestly.
    Tho you can clone it, you can't prolong it with out tons of stress risking hermieing the plant.

7. Ohh i see i see. So is there a way for me to produce seeds from an auto so i dont have to keep buyin em? Lol

And actually i also had another question, how do i cross two diff strains?

Ive watched a few vids but id like it detailed out to me if possible
    thanks!

8. Autoflowers can be bred just as any normal strain, Female + Male = Seeded Female.

As for how to cross a strain you should do some research on breeding techniques, that's a very broad question that would be hard to answer in a few forum posts.

9. Alright thanks bra. And another question does the female with seeds have to be seperated from others?

10. An another question lol.
    so i need to get a male plant of the same strain ? Or can it be a male of a diff strain ?

11. I think you need to do a basic google search for Marijuana Cultivation or Breeding.

12. Ha alright bra thanks anyways tho

13. No worries, I hate to send you off to google like I'm just not wanting to reply to you, I just think you'll be able to find a vast amount of information on the topics you're asking about, from various viewpoints, than the most likely limited and biased opinions you'll get here. Breeding isn't exactly a "follow the guide and win" science.

14. Hah its all good i just found that out ha. An ive been reading for hours

15. Can you intentionally stress the clone forcing it to hermie and get seeds?

16. Forgive me if I'm off topic , but can you top an auto? Growing a black jack auto and it's 17days from seed. Growing like crazy! Stalk is almost as thick as a pencil. Is it possible or better yet wise to?

17. Sorry, I'm confused what the argument was. Since his clone would have been smaller, he kept it in dark(12-14 hrs dark) and with veg nutes so that it could stretch and the roots could grow more correct? Even though this might have stressed out the plant.

Then once it was the size he wanted to harvest(since he had stretched it), kicked the lights onto a full rotation so that the buds would thicken.

So he was able to clone it, but he had to work around the genetic timeline then to get the clone to full size?

18. I have a question... maybe some of you can help.

What If I'm doing LST on a Auto... and I very early on in the Veg Stage I decide to clone? Shouldn't the clones have time to grow (given they are in the same time frame as their mother) and produce also?

19. Old thread, glad they quit the arguing....
    But yes, your auto-clones will grow and finish however the clones won't have time to catch up to the original mother plant.
    An example - say you have a true stable auto strain that finishes from sprouted bean in 56 days (to make the math work for 8 weeks). You will have to wait until the plant is probably three weeks old, and five weeks from finishing, to take a couple of clones off the lower branches. The clones are also three weeks old and five weeks away from finishing.
    It will take the clone about 2 weeks to root enough to transplant. Grey area here - the rooting time for conventional photoperiod strains has no impact toward finishing time; i.e. the aging of the plant kind of pauses. Not sure if this is true for auto's, but to make a best case example, let's say it doesn't count.
    You transplant the clone, and it will be five weeks from finishing.
    The original auto has aged to 5 weeks old / three weeks from finishing. But more importantly, it enjoyed the extra vegetative growth time of weeks 1-3 to get bigger. Your clone is three weeks old and 3" high.
    Stated another way, you have reduced an already short vegetative growth cycle which is so critical for auto's to produce at their best.So you reduced the effective growth time to five weeks.
    You could repeat this once again off the clone, and end up with a six week old clone that's 3" high and will still finish in two more weeks.
    The result is a lollipop - a bud on a stick.

Bottom line - the reason people do not clone auto's is that you can not keep a mother plant in an indefinite vegetative growth state, and continue harvesting clones for as long as you like the strain. And, unlike conventional photoperiod strains, you can not force it to re-veg after blooming.
    It grows. It blooms. It dies. You smoke it. You run out of smoke. You buy more seeds.
    Piss, wish I'd grown a photoperiod:eek:

Hope this helps, bestaluck to ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.