MGB's Incessant Organic Garden

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by MGB, Jan 9, 2012.

1. #41 MGB, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    Good morning GC

Just thought I would share a picture of my winter stash with you. I wish I could actually share the stash itself.:smoke: It is Matanuska Thunderfuck (AKA Alaskan Thunderfuck). Here is to hoping your winter stash is holding out for you. Have a great day all.

MGB

Attached Files:

2. Have any of you tried a full green grow? Meaning no yellowing during flower. I have researched but can not find any scientific data on this. Through researching GC I have seen some say it does not effect finished product and others have said it degrades finished product. If anyone has a link to data on this subject could you please share it. If anyone has completed a full green grow would you please take the time to share your results with me.

I personally never have my flowering plants finish green. When my girls finish, and i do let them flower long, the leaves have all changed colors, ranging from yellow to purple and every other color inbetween.

This is not the sign of an unhealthy plant by any means. Marijuana is an annual, and like any annual, the leaves die off.

Think of all the leaves changing color in the fall. Would it be natural for the leaves in your backyard to stay green right up until winter, etc?

This is my take on this.

jerry.

3. I love that lush jungle of green you have but I am really looking forward to the individual shots!

Best of the day to you!

Sam

4. Jerry, love ya man, but I might have to take exception to your analogy. I grew outdoors for many years and my plants generally harvested green. I say generally, because a lot depended on the weather and if we got any cold snaps before harvest. I also grew indoors (hydro) for many years, where the temps remained constant through to harvest, and I always harvested green.

With organics, I do know that when you flip the lights and the plant goes to flower, there is a drawdown of potassium as the plant roots change from exuding compounds that attract nitrogen feeding bacteria to those that attract potassium feeding bacteria. I don't understand the full process yet, so that's kind of a generalization, but the plant's needs do change at that point.

I can understand how, because of that change in requirements, the plant purposely takes in less nitrogen, and at some point may need to cannibalize itself to supplement its needs, but to my mind that doesn't account for some of the extreme leaf degradation you see in many of the pre-harvest pics.

Like I said, I don't know enough about the process to draw any worthwhile conclusions, but I know I don't like seeing that extreme degradation. It's hard for me to imagine it's a natural aspect of the growth cycle.

MX's harvests are an interesting example to look at. His plants show some yellowing of the leaves that is obvious nitrogen cannibalization, but not to the extreme of some others. Severely necrotic margins and tips, curling up or down of the same...these things look more like deficiencies to me than a natural process.

I would love to hear from some of those here who do have the knowledge to explain the process and are able to provide definitive answers.

See ya...

5. Good Morning GC:

Jerry/Papa:

Let me start by thanking Jerry and Papa for your opinions on the whole finishing plants while still green. These are the same opinions I have been reading. I just wanted a few opinions from folks I trust. Thank you both.

Sam:

Thank you for the kind words and this post is just for you by your request.

Last weeks events:

I don't do a whole lot with the girls these days they are pretty much set on auto pilot at this point. I fed the 2 ARB on 3/7/12. I have included a picture of the girls brew. I watered 1 of the MTF on 1/9/12. Unfortunately due to size and different rates of transpiration of these plants I have 3 different feeding/water schedules. Anyway that was about it for last week. Have a great week all and I will catch you all next week. Thanks to those whom have been checking in on my piddly grow.

Here are a few individual pics just for you Sam. Hope you enjoy them.:wave:

All pictures were taken from a ladder so I could attempt to get some overhead views unfortunately they are to tall to get a true overhead view.

PIC 1: The girls brew
    PIC 2: ARB 1 20 days flower 83 days from sprout 5 ft tall 3 ft wide
    PIC 3: ARB 2 20 days flower 83 days from sprout 5 ft tall 3 ft wide
    PIC 4: MTF 1 20 days flower 83 days from sprout 3 ft tall 3 ft wide
    PIC 5: MTF 2 20 days flower 83 days from sprout 3.5 ft tall 3 ft wide

Attached Files:

6. Piddly?

Poo-Poo. Every plant is a labor of love. Yours deserve a round of rep for the obvious care and attention you've given them.

7. #47 MGB, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012

Heya Papa:

Thanks for the compliment and the rep for the grow. I am glad you liked my new photo's. As the thread says this is my first indoor grow. I was not sure if I was even going to enjoy growing indoors. Hence that is why the majority of grow gear I have is either second hand or very inexpensive. I did not want to have a large investment in something I was not sure I was going like. In the past I had always associated growing with our beautiful Maine summer and my outdoor garden.

Truth be told I almost like it better than outdoor gardening. Lets say I like it enough to dump the gear I have now and pick up a new 1k digital quantum, a jumbo hood, and most importantly a light mover. I feel like I have more control over my garden. Here in Maine mother nature definitely has the control. The rains and the cold snaps in the fall have reeked havoc on my garden in the past. Last summer was a prime example. The last 3 weeks of my grow I was removing bud rot on almost a daily basis. It was rainy and overcast on a daily basis.

Well any how thank you again for chiming in. I really do appreciate the feed back from folks whom know more about this indoor stuff than I do. I see I have many voyeurs, but very few will post feedback. Maybe they think I bite. No big deal this will probably be my one and only journal any how. I will probably go back to my read only mode after this grow. I only did the journal in case I ran into problems on my first indoor grow. I thought it might help if I ran into issues. Meaning folks could help with a diagnosis if they saw the full grow and details.

Take care old man. I am looking forward to seeing you bud your girls out. I hope you will stick around till the end and continue to give feedback whether it be positive or negative. Have a great week.

MGB

BTW I will have some pics in the middle of the week of the clones I took. I kept 3 and gifted the other 7.

8. Hey MGB,

I think the only way I would go back to growing outdoors was if they made it legal. Then, I would go for one of those 10' dia, 18" high, landscaping material, organic grow bases, and try for a ten-pound plant. If I could grow just one ten-pounder before I die, I would stroll into hell with a smile on my face and spit in the Devil's eye. :D

See ya...

9. #49 MGB, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    Good afternoon GC

Last weekend I had stated I would throw some pictures up of some clones I had cut 4 weeks ago but I have been very busy. It is raining cats and dogs here today. It is a cold ass rain too. It is freezing on contact. I took a day off do to weather so I figured it might be a good day to post pics of some clones and seedlings I have going in the veg room.

Pic 1: From left to right:
    clone #1: Appalachian Rock Bud- This is a clone from a current flowering plant. It is 2 weeks out of the dome.

clone #2: Big Buddha Cheese- This is a clone that I took a cutting of a Buddy's plant that came from feminized seed. It is also 2 weeks out of the dome. I am highly impressed with its vigorous growth. I am looking forward to flowering this one out. I don't know about you folks but it is always exciting for me to grow out a new strain.

clone #3: Mighty Thunderfuck- This is a clone from a current flowering plant. It is also 2 weeks out of the dome.

These are the 3 clones I kept out of the 10 in the dome, I gifted the other 7 to local script holders. These clones will be transfered into 12 gal pots when they are ready.

4 seedlings: From center-left are 10 day old Appalachian Thunderfuck. They are a little droopy due to transplanting a few hours ago into 1 gal pots. When I transplant clones/seedlings I take a pair of scissors and cut the roots at the bottom of the root ball in 4 places 1/4 inch deep this helps stop the tap root from continuing to do circles in the bottom of the pot. IMO it stimulates new growth from different areas of the root ball. I also dust the existing roots with Endo-Mycorrizae of the Glomus species, then water with a very weak solution of Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed,humic acid,potassium humate,quillaja saponaria extract, and amino acids. In 2 weeks I will do another transplant into 3 gal pots. They will stay in 3 Gal pots until sexed. At this point I will choose 1 female for a 12 gal pot.

4 seedlings: From center-right are 10 day old Donkey Dick. They have received the same treatment as the seedlings/clones above have.

The plants you see above will be mothers for my outdoor garden this spring/summer.

Pic 2: Is the same as pic 1 just a different view.

Pic 3: This is my attempt to use LD's method for germinating. I am trying to germinate DNA Genetics Pure Afghan seeds that are either old or were stored improperly. They were gifted to me still in the sealed package. They will not germinate using my normal method. The solution is 8% Humic Acid diluted with H2O at a 1-100 rate. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck.

Pic 4: Sorry I could not resist. This is my attempt to take a picture of some crazy ass trichome production on day 24 of flower with a dinosaur digital camera. It is kind of like its owner old and outdated. If you open the picture in another tab and blow up to 100% hopefully you can see what I am talking about. Every bud on all 4 plants look like this. I am at a loss for words and I owe some indoor growers in the area an apology. They have been telling me for years now I could grow better quality medicine indoor than I could outdoor. I have always told them they were full of shit. Well guess what I am now sold. My Buds overall have never looked like this on day 24 of flower outside. I know the trichome production won't be anything special for most of you but it just blows my mind this early. Please don't forget this is my first indoor grow.

Well I guess that about does it for today. Sorry if I am a little long winded. I like to be as detailed as possible. My next update will be on the flowering plants Sunday/Monday as I have time. Have a great day all!

MGB

Attached Files:

10. Hey MGB,

Nice update! So clean and organized. Did you used to work in a hospital? :D

That IS nice trich production for 24 days in - nice overall bud growth as well. Hope mine look as good at day 24.

See ya...

11. Hello Papa,

Thank you for the kind words. Nah no hospital just 20 yrs+ in the military and a severe case of OCD. If you take care of your flowering plants anything like you do your vegging plants they will be even better. Thanks for chiming in I do appreciate the feedback. Have a great weekend!

MGB

12. It's not old and outdated.

It has good taste.

13. #53 MGB, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    Hello GC,

Time for the weekly update of the girls. What a beautiful March weekend in Maine. I did not do anything but water this past week. They are averaging about 4 gallons of water a week now. I have been keeping the room at a steady 77 degrees day time and 65 degrees night time. Do to running the dehumidifier I am able to keep the RH between 35% and 40%. Trichome production is great and overall bud growth is average. I guess that is about it. I will keep this one short since my last post was a diatribe.

I will leave you folks with a few pics of the girls and I will catch you all on day 35 of flower. Have a great week folks and I hope you are all having the beautiful weather we are.

MGB

Pic 1: Mighty Thunderfuck #1 day 28 flower 91 days from sprout.
    Pic 2: Mighty Thunderfuck #2 day 28 flower 91 days from sprout.
    Pic 3: Appalachian Rock Bud #1 day 28 flower 91 days from sprout.
    Pic 4: Appalachian Rock Bud #2 day 28 flower 91 days from sprout.
    Pic 5: Group Photo of the ladies day 28 flower 91 days from sprout.

Attached Files:

14. Hey MGB,

You might describe your bud growth as average, but not much else about your girlz fits that description.

I see perfect color top to bottom, not a single unhappy leaf.

I see perfect margins and tips, no spotting, burning, curling or diving.

I see perfect leaf shape, stem turgor and color, and plant vigor.

I would describe your girlz as Perfection on the Half-Shell, much like Botticelli's painting.

Excellent work, my man!

See ya...

15. #55 MGB, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012

Good morning Papa,

I thank you once again for checking in and chiming in on my modest grow. This thread would be pretty dead with out you. I think it is great that you participate the way you do in the organic journal section. I see that you participate in most every grow here. You try to make everyone feel welcome. Way to spread the good vibes.

I also appreciate that you have overlooked the fact that I don't grow as most do here. I use a combination of methods. IMHO a good grow is a good grow. I think what people fail to understand is that I have the same passion/love for the hobby as they do. I just go about getting my end results a little different way then they do.

BTW my plants are far from perfect. I can pick things out that need some fine tuning, but then again I have always been my own worst critic. I figure if you can't be honest with yourself who the hell are you going to be honest with. I have compiled a list of this grows short comings, things I have learned, and things I will do differently on my next indoor grow. I am kind of saving it for my last post. A synopsis of the overall grow if you may.

Take care old man. Catch you next weekend.

MGB

16. #56 MGB, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    Good morning GC,

After all the reading I have done here on GC I decided to upgrade my brewing station. For the last few years I have just been using a fish tank air pump and aquarium air stones from the local pet shop. I finally broke down and bought a new 110 liter per minute air pump. I also built 2 new aeration devices to replace the air stones. One for 5 gallons for my indoor grow and a larger version for when I brew 30 gallons outdoors for my 6 outdoor cannabis plants and vegetable garden. I wish I could give credit to whom first built the aeration device, but I can no longer find the post. If my memory serves me correctly (which isn't very often at my age) I believe it was Chunk. If I am wrong maybe someone can chime in and set me straight.

I do have a couple of questions for anyone whom has this pump or one similar:

The first question is, will I damage/shorten the life of the pump if I put a valve in the long portion of the PVC coming out of my 5 gallon bucket to regulate air flow? This pump is absolutely crazy in a 5 gallon bucket. I would like to cut it back a bit when brewing in a 5 gallon bucket. Thank you in advance for any replies.

The second question is about the life expectancy of a pump like this. I basically have a pump going 24 hours a day 365 days a year. From late fall until early spring I have to draw my water from the well 24 hours in advance. I have to do this because my water is just a few degrees above freezing during this time so I have to bring it up to a suitable temperature with an aquarium heater before watering or adding nutrients. I also like to aerate all my water before using it. I do this because I feel with the way I grow this is the only time my roots get oxygen, so I like to maximize the oxygen content. Now to get to the question, would it be ok if when just aerating water to still use the fish tank pump and save the big pump for brews? I am thinking if I do this the more expensive pump will last longer. Thank you in advance for any replies.

I don't know about the rest of you folks but these record breaking temperatures in the north east are reeking havoc on my flower room. When I designed my grow areas I had no plans on growing indoors when the ambient temperature was above 65. For me when temperatures reach this level my ass is outdoors tending to gardens. I hit 85 in the flower room yesterday. My temps this whole grow to this point have never risen above 77 until this week. So today I am adding more ventilation and a 400 cfm in-line fan. This will give me a total of 800 cfm in a 150 sq ft/1050 cu ft area. I hope this works to get my temps back down to 75-77. Wish me luck.

I will be updating the flowering plants this weekend. Have a great day all.

MGB

Attached Files:

17. Hey MGB,

I think that 110L/min pump is a bit overkill for a 5 gal bucket. I have the same style pump, packaged under a different brand name, but it's only a 38L/min pump and it still provides some fierce agitation in a 5 gal bucket.

Here's a pic of it from this morning, brewing its first ACT:

[​IMG]

In another two hours I will shit it off and inoculate my Smart pots with the goodness.

I can't speak to the longevity of the pump - it was made in China, after all :D - but I do believe throttling down the output with a valve will hurt the pump in the long run. The pump piston will have to fight the additional pressure, and that will make it run hot.

Using an aquarium pump to aerate your water will work just fine. The blue tote you see behind my brewer holds 25 gals of rainwater, and I aerate it with an aquarium pump. That brew pump is a loud bugger anyway, and yours will no doubt be a lot louder than mine. I sure wouldn't want that thing running 24/7 just to keep my water supply aerated!

If you don't have an air conditioner (like I don't), then air flow in your grow room is about the only way to manage the temps. A strong air flow will not only stabilize the temps to ambient, but will make sure there is plenty of fresh C02, so your girlz will be more tolerant of higher temps when Summer gets here.

It seems we have a number of things in common with our grows. I'm looking forward to your update.

See ya...

18. #58 MGB, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    Hello Papa,

I take it this was a typo, ROTFLMFAO "In another two hours I will shit it off and inoculate my Smart pots with the goodness."

"I can't speak to the longevity of the pump - it was made in China, after all - but I do believe throttling down the output with a valve will hurt the pump in the long run. The pump piston will have to fight the additional pressure, and that will make it run hot."

"Using an aquarium pump to aerate your water will work just fine. The blue tote you see behind my brewer holds 25 gals of rainwater, and I aerate it with an aquarium pump. That brew pump is a loud bugger anyway, and yours will no doubt be a lot louder than mine. I sure wouldn't want that thing running 24/7 just to keep my water supply aerated!"

Thanks a lot brother I know I can at least depend on you to reply if you know the answer.

"I think that 110L/min pump is a bit overkill for a 5 gal bucket. I have the same style pump, packaged under a different brand name, but it's only a 38L/min pump and it still provides some fierce agitation in a 5 gal bucket."

Yeah I kind of figured it would be a bit much for my indoor grows but I knew 100% for sure the fish tank pump I use is no where near enough for my 30 gallon brews. Maybe I will pick up a second one for my 5 gallon brews.

Thanks again, I appreciate the fact I can depend on you. Have a great day Old Man!

19. :D :D :D I should correct it, but I'll leave it and let others have a good laugh, too. :D :D :D

20. Hello Papa,

I just finished setting up my new brew station with the 110 LPM air pump. Surprisingly when I anchored the pump to the book shelf, anchored the book shelf to the wall and floor it is no noisier than the fish pump I was using.:D It definitely moves some water though. Hence, notice the splash pan.:D Check out the manifold on the wall. I love the manifold. With my outdoor 30 gal brews I won,t use the manifold. It will just be a straight 3/8" run to the rather large PVC aerator. I built the PVC aerator for my 50 gal drum today as-well.(will only brew 30 gal) So all set for summer. Any way here is a photo of the brew station.

I topped the Appalachian Rock Bud, Mighty Thunderfuck, and the Big Buddha Cheese clones this morning. I also watered them for the first time in 16 days as-well. While I was in there I snapped a quick shot of the clones and seedlings. I will throw up a couple bud shots of the girls sometime tomorrow.

Have a great day!

MGB

Attached Files: