Reading books while high.

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Deleted member 394727, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Personal experience:

Short-term memory ability decreases drastically.
    Sensory perception increases drastically.

It's a trade-off =\\
    Taking notes does help counter the first point, but often I go overboard with a one sentence note, turning it into a 100 word essay, and then turning parts of the essay into another 100 word essay and so on. Gotta learn to stay on track.

2. if I'm a little high I can read a book, but a little bit higher and I can't do it

3. Hell yea, heres my list: 
    Enders Game (its not gay I promise)
    Brave New World
    Watership Down
    All of the Song of Ice and Fire
    Don Quixote

The first three are kind of philosophic and make you think, which I like. The other two are just done by really creative authors and are pretty entertaining. Would like to hear other opinions because I'm looking for more books to read while stoned. 

4. Also, imo, the best environment for reading is upright or outside with a mostly sativa strain. With indica and a bong I pass out after five pages. 

5. That depends, i read high sometimes, but some of the books i read include lots of big words, many of them i have to look up.

Especially writers like Steven pinker, who (at least for my level of education) can write books that are borderline impossible to understand unless your really paying attention, so it just depends on this

For example for "how the mind works" by steven pinker i dont read high.

but for a subject that i already know a ton about like "The secret life of germs" by Philip M. Tierno Jr, i can read high because i am not learning all new material and can afford to miss half a page if i start day dreaming while reading. 

I guess for me the life sciences are easier to understand than the social sciences especially since the social sciences are highly subjective at times. 

6. My theory is that for non-fiction reading it is advisable to remain at least relatively sober,

For Fiction its more okay to read really high (in my experience at least.)

I almost never read novels though, aside from orwell, rand, and other influential peices of literature. Grapes of wrath i read extremely high and honestly i think i need to re-read it...lol cause I'm not even sure what the book was about O.O"

7. So much Knowledge are found in books. I personally love it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Yeah, this is something I always wanted to try. But these technology is very distracting. I mean, I'll easily get lost on YouTube or something else every time I'm high. I really should try some books.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

9. Must continue educating ourselves.. Never Stop

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I find it's an exercise in futility.
    I wind up reading the same paragraph over and over, and by the time I return to the book later, I forgot everything - if the stuff is good.

11. <3 reading while baked! I've always been a reader and have always been drawn to fantasy/paranormal themed books.

If I watch TV anymore it has to be a fictional show which I usually just stream.

I'll stay awake all night stoned out of my mind reading a good Urban Fantasy novel. Yes my mind wanders but usually towards inner meanings of the book. Usually just take this time to take a piss, get a drink, re-load the green. Smoke that shit & read some more shit.

12. Im about to pick up reading, as I wish to enhance my knowledge and find some form of guidance. 
    Ill for sure try readin high as I pick up this new hobby ;D

13.   My attention span is too short to read. Even when I'm sober I can never remember the last paragraph I've read. I'm convinced I have some form of ADD/ADHD but my stupid therapist thinks it's my clinical depression and anxiety, but what does he know anyways? He only went to school for human psychology and blah blah blah, but I got my grade 10, I know my shit, smart people can't trick me.

14. For me it's crossword puzzles or sudoku.

15. Generally not a fan, don't remember what I read the next day lol. Other substances better....

16. I just found a hardcover anthology of the new yorker's comics that my great grandmother kept as a coffeetable book and gave to me when I said I thought some of them were funny. high as fuck, might have a looksee soon.

17. Could you recommend any good books on philosophy, am interested in reading about it

OT: I never really read novels while im high since i tend to forget alot of things which are happening, causing me to not really understand the story when i pick the book back up sober. 
    I enjoy reading threads / comics etc while blazed tho :p

18. I have ADD so focusing on a book when I'm high is super hard but once I get into it... Man! I love philosophical books (can't go wrong with Sartre or Camus) but when I smoke I'd rather get lost in a story, in a book's universe. Always open to suggestions on what to read !

Gold is green.