My first 225 14w LED Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by jayjay5396, Jan 2, 2012.

1. #1 jayjay5396, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
    hi i am already on with another grow journal a 400wHPS setup (in my sig) but doesn't look like its working out due to the heat issue i have.

So i went and ordered 3x 14w LED grow panels since they were rumored to produce very little heat, its true there's barley no heat at all there's no noise at all ether, Also very low power consumption only 14w each, but don't let that fool you this is just me but im almost sure you need at least 2 of these panels for a small grow, still not sure if LED will take my seedling through every stage of its life. if my light ends up struggling to grow a maturing plant then in an emergency i can switch back to HPS.

LED Setup:
    Lights: 2x 225 LED light Board Blue and Red hydroponic grow light 14w (3rd panel not setup yet)
    Soil: Professional orchid potting compost
    Air: basic desktop fan
    Pots: small, medium and extra large
    Plans: planing to veg 24/0 for 9-10 weeks then go into 12/12 for flowering

since I'm just a beginner grower i will need telling if I'm doing something wrong but please be gentle, i break easily :p

Ordered all 3 off growlightLED.co.uk and amazon .... info included within the links:
    2 x Hydroponic Lamp 225 Led Grow Lights Panel Board Bulb Kit LED Grow Lights UK
    [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005IGFGOQ[/ame]

Week 1:
    My Seedling is a (((New York City Diesel Feminized))) it has been under two of the LED panels 24/0 for 7 days, its still a small seedling :( my HPS setup would have done more than my LED panels by now but there is a BIG difference between 400w and 14w i'll have to be patient

Here's the new born: :D ......... i will be updating as she progresses

Attached Files:

2. week 2-3

not sure which week it is its ether 2or3,

so far i' cant see much happening, its got a bit bigger than the last photos but not much.

still receiving 24/0 of LED light, that wont change till flowering

it seems to be healthy :smoke::smoke::smoke:

pics:

Attached Files:

3. week 3-4

My NYC is getting bigger now she will need another pot very soon, i haven't really done much she was fed last week for the first time and just been watering every few days

i do know that i should have a UFO LED but these 14w panels seem to be doing the job, i guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens but it is growing so no problems yet.

the thing ive found with LED is that it doesn't make the plant stretch like my 400w hps does, so up to now from my own experience these 14w LEDs are better than HPS the only down side is it doesnt seem to be growing as fast as HPS, thats why ive lost track of time coz its like watching paint dry so you just tend to forget how long its actually been there

well here she is now has 4 leaves looking healthy:

Attached Files:

4. I have one of those panels and I am wondering how close I can put it on cuttings and seedlings?

5. #5 jayjay5396, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
    i'm only new to LED but the way i got mine its only a few inches away and it seems to be working just fine, theres no heat so you cant burn the plant just make sure light isnt too far away then you cant go wrong but they are only 14w i'm not expecting miracles but so far these LED's have surprised me, THEY WORK!!!!

6. (please read)

i've had to put her in my HPS room as she now needs a bigger pot which wont fit in the LED room this is only temporary measure because i still have a plant in flowering under HPS 12/12 thats too tall to use the LED's anyway besides the fact that LED might not flower very good 12/12 worked for my other crops so for just a couple of weeks 12/12 shouldnt hurt my new plant then it will go back to 24/0 LED in a few weeks i cant do nothing else need 12/12 for the flowering plant.

now my NYC diesel is in a bigger pot shes loving the HPS400w, i havent got her as close to the light as i should have but i dont wanna cook her i know my HPS light gets really hot thats why im converting to LED to escape the heat issues i have, i might still have to flower with HPS i dont know for sure but i will be putting the LED in a few weeks time after this other plant finishes and will veg it with only LED, also gonna start a new seed off gonna do a sour diesel when this adult female eventually finishes it should be soon.

here's NYC in all her glory mmmmm i cant wait

Attached Files:

7. Sub'd. I am very interested in this grow. My LED is on the way for my first grow. I would be really surprised if you get a good yield with less than 100 watts. Hope you surprise me :)

8. I remember reading somewhere that you can burn plants with LED's. Not with heat but with the intensity from the light. I don't think you will have that problem with less than 150w.

9. #9 jayjay5396, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
    well i have had that plant under LED 24hrs no dark and them LED bulbs just get a little warm its barely noticeable i had my plant like just a few inches away and it never hurt it.

My plant is now under HPS im not gonna lie, she will be going back under them LED's all 3 of them i'll see how it goes then decide weather to flower with LED or not.

This is purely an experiment to see what LED can actually do, i know that it does grow them but it seems to be slower than HPS, even if i cant flower with this just imagine the amount of electric saved during veg??

My advise would be to buy more than one of these they only small panels 12inch square maybe so your gonna need at least 2 of these to be able to cover just one plant. i'll always grow 2 at a time so gonna use 3x 14w LED units.

yes then there's the issue of watts been too low but on that site i provided it does say "Newer advanced LED grow lamps use automotive grade 6 watt LEDs and have shown similar results to HID lamps." so who knows? if that's a lie i will complain about it as that would be false advertising.

but yeah if you want these exact light panels i have then buy at least 2 panels your gonna need it.

10. #10 jayjay5396, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    its been about 1 month now still under HPS sorry guys but this mature plant still there lots of hairs but nothing i can call skunk yet its been too long shes been in flowering for 10 weeks or more shes got no leaf left i dont really want too but i think i'll give up on it then i can put my LED's in and start a new seed!!!!!

heres the NYC diesel feminized shes looking a little stretched but LED going in there soon!!!!

Edit: well looks like this adult plant is very near to finishing some say its past been finished others say its not but it could be next week im getting the LED's back in and set up hopefully, i'll be updating as soon as that happens

Attached Files:

11. #11 jayjay5396, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
    Hi i've decided to cut the adult female down shes harvested but i don't have a drying room so now stuck with this pile of weed i dont know what to do, i live with my mother she knows im doing it but she dont want weed anywhere else its gotta be in my room i got no where to put it my cuboard/closet is where i'm growing thats all i have cant dry in there.

NYC fem update:
    she is doing great i topped her a few weeks ago she is starting to show her hairs but now got my LED's over her she will now receive 24hrs of light so hopefully she will go back into veg fingers crossed, and can i ask do i still need a fan for LED setup since there is no heat am starting to wonder i could be wasting power is there any point in using a fan???

New Life:
    just started a female sour diesel seed off into germination hopefully its successful.

Heres pics of the NYC plant......

Attached Files:

12. How much electric is the panels costing? I ask because I have ordered exactly the same one. I plan on vegging for 4 weeks with the light and like you have done, but with natural sunlight, put it outside for a week, back to light for 2 weeks and then to a planting spot outside. I am debating over an auto flowering plant or a may harvesting plant. I will be using a propagater 8w with the light meaning a total of 22w running for 24hrs a day. How much a week do you reckon this would cost?

13. i dont know how much electric am using but it cant be much 3 x 14 = 42watts is all in total well then there's the 25watt fan too, i was using a 400watt HPS there's gonna be a massive change in power consumption but im still a little skeptical on LEDs growing a plant all the way especially since they only 14w each i have 3 but still 14w each is pretty low

no no no do not put it outside then bring it inside thats a BIG NO NO!!! doing this shocks & stress's the plant you giving it real natural sunlight then artificial light i have read about this a few times it doesn't do any good for your plant however you can start them off in doors with lights then finish them off outside in the same plant pot thats fine but don't take it back indoors once you got it outside

with LED am having all 3 on 24hrs a day this will carry on for another 3 weeks maybe then i'll take it into flowering im debating on using LED or HPS im not sure yet but again i really cant see it costing much think of an xbox360 there 100wats i think theses 3 LED's are only 14w each

14. Cool, well I will have to not take them outside until they have a week old flower then. I am not really sure if I can plant a flowering plant outsid in april/may that is pure indica and it will flower or if I have to buy an auto flowerer. Do you know? Nice grow you have there. I was thinking of nyc diesel myself.

15. you need to avoid replanting during flowering best thing to do is buy a medium pot & a BIG pot start your seeding off in medium pot wait till the roots start to come out the bottom then put in the BIG pot let it start to flower then take it outside but only during the good months with lots of hot weather you need good weather for outside

16. Cool, thanks mate, +rep in the morning 2 ya!

17. #17 jayjay5396, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
    UPDATE: For NYC and my new seedling Sour Diesel

NYC Feminized:
    well shes been under her LED's for 1 week since the HPS she was under temporarily but now with 24/0 light i'm hoping she goes back into veg, i'm new to this how does a plant do this? shes still got them hairs i dunno if they meant to die off going back into veg again are they
    I mean is that a sign for re-vegging?

The hairs look fine just wondering what to look out for since ive not seen this happen before never had to experience it.

Sour Diesel Feminized:
    This is my new plant germinated it last week so we on week 1 its under LED but with it been so small my camera wont pick it up under the light with it been sooo bright so had to do the photos by taking it out for a few minutes its now above the soil but still hasn't come out its seed shell yet....

Problems:
    if you look at the bottom of my plant there doesnt seem much light around that area the plant is still stimulated but would adding a CFL 65w blue spectrum for the bottom area be any help for my grow? My LED's are Red and Blue 14w each i got 3 of them

Here's photos of them both....

Attached Files:

18. Hey,Jayjay, great job~ I also have a journal with the LEDs, I am going to post it next week.

19. dam it these lights are no good on there own i need stronger ones im now saving up for a UFO 90w so for the time being im now using HPS again.

sorry guys i cant afford to lose a plant 14w is NOT strong enough i aint just saying it it really isnt strong enough.

some of her leaves have went crispy at the edges some of her leaves have white patches on them shes got a few deformed leaves as well, its not working out.

i wish i didnt have to use HPS because i have problems with heat but at least it grows them better than my LEDS.

heres some photos, My HPS should fix this problem, fingers crossed

NOTE: dam think my hps has fucked up my camera the photos are crap

Attached Files: