dangers of marijuana

Discussion in 'General' started by Exodus2011, Jan 2, 2012.

1. lol imo i think weed is overall effectively harmless.

why else would it have so many well documented medical benefits?

my hypothesis is that the 4 people with circulatory disorders who had their disorders "worsened" when smoking heavy amounts of weed were also using other drugs.

it never said it was the direct cause.

and also the heart attack thing, i hear the study was real shaky and it don't have much support in the medical community.

if someone could provide a link that would be nice

2. [quote name='"angstrom"']you are seriously gonna tell me that smoking weed doesnt fuck up my lungs and throat? i've read all the same 'scientific' stuff as you probably, and being stoned helps out with some good stuff, but nothing changes the fact that smoke is bad for ur lungs. and so is holding ur breath all the time (holding in a hit). smoke also limits the oxygen to ur brain, which is bad for ur brain in the longrun.[/quote]

Please reread my post. Smoking can hurt your lungs and throat. I said that very specifically....read carefully.

Weed doesn't fuck up lungs and throat. Smoking -can-.

Limits oxygen to the brain? I guess going swimming is pretty awful too =x heaven forbid we hold our breath.

And THC is absorbed instantly, if you're holding in your hits then that isn't my problem.

3. you cant separate weed and smoking. sure there are vapes and edibles, but sometimes you gotta smoke. i have a vape. and somtimes its cool, but it gets old. its not the real way. that and being a stoner, smoking is unavoidable cus your freinds are always gonna smoke out of pipes or somthing. all mine do, and i sure as heck am not gonna turn down a smoking session just cus we're smoking it.

4. "Very specifically" they said.

Actually only insinuated it by saying it "irritates" the throat and lungs.... they said.

5. aw fuck it people, we are all gonna die anyways, might as well just do the best you can do and stop worrying :wave:

6. I remember arguing this exact thing with my health teacher, he said edible can clog your arteries and that marijuana can cause your stomach to explode...that by far was the dumbest thing I've ever heard someone say about weed. Though the fact some people believed him made it even worse.

7. Er, you "gotta"? Says you.

C'mon man, this peer pressure BS is a bit immature. If you are actually that concerned about smoking and your health, then either learn to vape or use edibles 100% of the time, or quit. Otherwise, smoke and don't worry about it. Being human is 100% fatal. We all gotta go sometime...:smoke:

8. [quote name='"angstrom"']you cant separate weed and smoking. sure there are vapes and edibles, but sometimes you gotta smoke. i have a vape. and somtimes its cool, but it gets old. its not the real way. that and being a stoner, smoking is unavoidable cus your freinds are always gonna smoke out of pipes or somthing. all mine do, and i sure as heck am not gonna turn down a smoking session just cus we're smoking it.[/quote]

I can seperate it just fine.

You said that weed isn't good for you.

I would love to see a single piece of evidence that backs that up. Changing the argument once you've realized you're incorrect isn't the best strategy. Learn instead.

There are many ways of smoking. I'm sorry whatever method you choose is irritating your lungs and throat. But this is not the fault of cannabis. I smoke as well, but I use a Hakko, with a well filtered piece. Doctor says my lungs are the healthiest he's ever seen. He was shocked when I told him I was a smoker. I just don't fuck with blunts, joints, and even rarely pipes. Granted, it's still smoking. However, smoking does not equal cannabis. Cannabis can also help expand the lungs significantly, and actually help with asthma symptoms. But again - if that's your aim it should be extremely obvious smoking may not be the path to take.

That being said - just because "it gets old" for you, doesn't mean that cannabis all of a sudden isn't good for you. I'm sorry to hear that vaping and edibles don't satisfy you, and you must resort to apparently hurting your lungs and throat. But again, that has very little to do with what we're talking about. And again, the fact that you give in to peer pressure doesn't mean that cannabis is bad for you. If you think that smoking out of a pipe negates the health effects of cannabis to the point where it's no longer good for you? Don't do it. That's your choice.

I know it comes off like I'm trying to be a dick, but I'm not. Sorry if this has come off as harsh, but cannabis is very beneficial to your lungs. The only reason why it would irritate someone's lungs is because of their preferred method. I'm not trying to bash smoking, but if it means that much to you its entirely in your control. Don't blame cannabis for your preferred method. It's the method that irritates your lungs.

EDIT - Soli, if you have anything to contribute, please feel welcome. I'd love to hear what was wrong with any of my posts. But your percieved attempts at trolling just seem to be taking up space.

9. If any teacher (especially a "health" teacher) tried to pull that shit in front of me, I would simply challenge him or her to prove it with multiple credible sources and documentation.

But I wouldn't leave it that simple. It would be a contractual bet, with their fucking job on the line as the wager. I'm sorry, but the classroom is no place for utter bullshit.

Either learn to teach something as benign as health without prejudice, or GTFO.

10. it seems ur the one whose worrying about it. i simply acknowlege the harm of it and smoke anyway. apparently you have to beleive its some sort of miracle substance to feel good about smoking it. and its not even pressure. i wanna smoke weed with my buddies. i know its bad for me, and i do it gladly. i dont have to lie to myself about it being healthy or be a snob and be like, "sorry guys, we're not vaping it so i'm gonna sit this one out". you just wanna say nothing but good things about pot, but why? if you dont weigh the good against the bad realistically, you are not making an enlightened descision in choosing to smoke pot.

11. imo anyways edibles > smoking.

have yet to try vaping but come on?

blasted for 5 hours watching multiple disney movies?

lol

12. go tell storm crow this

13. [quote name='"angstrom"']it seems ur the one whose worrying about it. i simply acknowlege the harm of it and smoke anyway. apparently you have to beleive its some sort of miracle substance to feel good about smoking it. and its not even pressure. i wanna smoke weed with my buddies. i know its bad for me, and i do it gladly. i dont have to lie to myself about it being healthy or be a snob and be like, "sorry guys, we're not vaping it so i'm gonna sit this one out". you just wanna say nothing but good things about pot, but why? if you dont weigh the good against the bad realistically, you are not making an enlightened descision in choosing to smoke pot.[/quote]

Aw. Here I was hoping you were mature enough to realize when you'd be wrong.

It is actually pretty miraculous. Nobody's lying. Again, please say which part of my post was wrong. I would LOVE to hear it.

Please, please please tell me what the bad is?

You're free to smoke, but don't you go pretending that cannabis = smoking.

I say nothing but good things about pot because there ARE only good things.

You're naming bad things about smoking. If you have something else, enlighten me.

I don't know why I'm bothering, you're just going to stubbornly make a fool of yourself. Prove me wrong.

So again....tell me exactly what about cannabis is bad? And again, just because YOU smoke doesn't make cannabis bad for everyone else.

14. Cannabis is not the end-all-be-all in this world, and I am all for an open discussion as to the pros and cons of using cannabis. Feel free to go build up a list of "the bad" when vaporizing pure organic cannabis and we'll continue this discussion.

You might be very surprised at how your list turns out when you educate yourself on it.

15. and heosphoros, thats exactly what im talking about. you smoke out of a special wacky peice. not everybody has those. and i dont know what ur talking about saying you dont have to hold it in. you can smoke whatever weird way you want, but i actually wanna get high. you're wasting weed if you blow it right out. it sucks that the mere thought of weed having any negative effects on you hurts your conscience, but it doesnt hurt mine at all. im hittin the bong right now.

16. and you are a dick! you know whats REALLY immature? calling people immature all the time. kids do that to feel more grown up. its sad that you need me to tell you the bad things about pot by the way. as if you arent well aquainted with them. if you are trying to tell me that you have never been coughlocked, had a sore throat from smoking too much, couldnt remember shit cus you were too high, become lethargic and lacked motivation, munched on a ton of unhealthy food, etc etc, then you are lying. every person with common sense knows about these things. if you wanna live in some hippy dreamworld where everything that you enjoy is good for you, then fine by me, but dont go trying to enforce your ideals on me.

17. [quote name='"angstrom"']and heosphoros, thats exactly what im talking about. you smoke out of a special wacky peice. not everybody has those. and i dont know what ur talking about saying you dont have to hold it in. you can smoke whatever weird way you want, but i actually wanna get high. you're wasting weed if you blow it right out. it sucks that the mere thought of weed having any negative effects on you hurts your conscience, but it doesnt hurt mine at all. im hittin the bong right now.[/quote]

I hope it makes you feel correct to ignore post after post of logic. Unfortunately it's very against human nature to admit when they're wrong, but many break through.

You've missed the point. I like smoking, and accept the health effects of smoking. But I don't pretend that the health effects of smoking make weed bad for you. It's not my conscience we're talking about, and it never was. Changing what we're arguing about doesn't make you right.

Let me remind you what you said. You said that weed isn't good for you. That is absolutely not true. That is not factual, and you have not provided any factual evidence that it is. I'm still waiting on it.

It doesn't matter what pieces people have, or what people do to get high. Point is that cannabis does not hurt your lungs.

Give me one, just one bad effect of cannabis. I'm still waiting on it.

And again - you're misinformed. Your lungs absorb THC instantly. If you inhale deep, but exhale right after - you are not wasting weed. Science agrees. Please show me evidence, otherwise you're just bullshitting.

Please, go hit the bong. But don't pretend that cannabis hurts your lungs. It is not true. Smoking hurts lungs, and while I realize that many people smoke, that does not change the fact that its the method, not cannabis.

Again...I don't know how many times I've asked....but I'll try it again. Don't ignore it this time. Just don't. I'll put stars around it so you don't miss it. If you ignore every bit of this post - at least don't ignore the bit between the stars.

Why is Cannabis not good for you? How does Cannabis itself hurt you in any way? When answering this question keep in mind, that while smoking is fine, there are many other methods of consuming cannabis, and you should not base the health risks of cannabis on any particular method.

18. #38 Heosphoros, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    [quote name='"angstrom"']and you are a dick! you know whats REALLY immature? calling people immature all the time. kids do that to feel more grown up. its sad that you need me to tell you the bad things about pot by the way. as if you arent well aquainted with them. if you are trying to tell me that you have never been coughlocked, had a sore throat from smoking too much, couldnt remember shit cus you were too high, become lethargic and lacked motivation, munched on a ton of unhealthy food, etc etc, then you are lying. every person with common sense knows about these things. if you wanna live in some hippy dreamworld where everything that you enjoy is good for you, then fine by me, but dont go trying to enforce your ideals on me.[/quote]

I do need you to tell me the bad things about pot. I really really really do. So far you haven't. Read the bit in the stars above. I'm waiting man. I am BEGGING you to tell me. Begging.

Also, no. I don't know what coughlocked is. Enlighten me. I don't have smokers cough, and as far as I know sitting on the couch (assuming you made a typo) is a choice.

I've never had a sore throat from smoking too much. I'm not lying.

Not being able to remember shit is not a health risk, nor does it make cannabis not good for you. I actually remember things quite fine though, thanks.

My motivation is fantastic, cannabis has not effected my motivation in a negative way. This is also choice, nothing to do with cannabis.

I also refuse to eat while high. I don't care if people do, but this is also a choice. I treat my body carefully, not that it's any of your business or relevent to the discussion. I find munchies kills my high, so no I don't even eat at all while high. My choice.

I'm not enforcing my ideals, you stated something that is factually incorrect. I'm waiting for proof but you're dodging the question.

Try again man.

19. I'm going to jump into the conversation right now because you just keep repeating yourself "weed is bad" "weed is bad" "weed is bad" but you still haven't stated how. How is marijuana bad for you? Not the act of smoking, but the plant itself. What in it is bad? What are the the negative side effects it has on your health?

I smoke almost everyday and I have asthma. I've been smoking for a while now and it hasn't fucked up my lungs or throat. In fact the only time I've had an asthma attack in the last 5 years was when I stopped smoking for an extended period.

And you don't have to hold your breath that long to get high man...

20. So all of yall think there is nothing negative about weed in any aspect