Peace Maker 2012 - First Organic Grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by papawayne, Jan 1, 2012.

1. papawayne

Laugh? Hardly - it's a better mix than 99% of what is usually posted.

Would I do a couple of things differently? Sure - big deal. At some point the discussion comes down to nits and silly talking points.

The main point is that you hit the right notes in the big areas and your plants reflect that already.

LD

2. Thanks Suzaka! :wave:

I kinda feel like a kid who's just ridden his bike to the end of the block without his dad's hand on the seat. You know, that moment when you first achieve balance - the rush, the thrill of entering new territory, the freedom from training wheels.

And I didn't even check the PH of my AACT solution. Unbelievable! :eek:

3. Thanks, LumperDawgz2. That really puts my mind at ease.

4. I know the feeling, I am also a somewhat recent convert to organics and i must say it seems to be most rewarding in personal experience, and ease of mind due to plain less things to worry about :D

Peace be with you

Suzaka

5. And you, too :wave:

I'll tell ya, when I was running hydro it was a constant chore. I got good grows, relatively speaking, but I always felt like my plants were right on the ragged edge, and it was stressful. Even with soilless, it was more relaxed, but there didn't seem to be any harmony to the process (if you understand my meaning).

I stopped growing 5 years ago because of that. I made my money and had my smoke, but growing the herb just wasn't satisfying any more...and it should be a satisfying thing. When I first started growing, my relationship with my plants was important to me, and somewhere along the line I lost that relationship.

I can see already that growing organic is going to put a smile on my face again. I can treat my plants as the beautiful girlz they are, and not like whores to be pimped for the highest dollar.

Yep, I'm going to like this organic thing. :D

6. papawayne

You used a term that I've seen for many years - soilless

What does that term mean? I sincerely have no idea.

Thanks!

LD

7. LumperDawgz2

It's not much different than hydro, except that you don't constantly bathe your root system in nutrient solution, and you don't recycle the nute runoff in a reservoir. You grow in a medium that holds a certain amount of moisture, like a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite, and you feed a small amount of nutes on a regular schedule, like once an hour, with the runoff going down the sewer.

It's less hassle than maintaining a constant flow system, but it's still just a chemical bath. :mad:

8. You grow in a medium that holds a certain amount of moisture, like a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite, and you feed a small amount of nutes on a regular schedule, like once an hour, with the runoff going down the sewer.

papawayne

My first few years were using this exact method with Dyna Grow and Dyna Bloom.

Got it! Thanks!

LD

9. #29 papawayne, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    And 24 hours later. Same light, same camera settings, a little closer in on the right pic.

[​IMG]

I've figured out that the color difference between these two pics is caused by where I hold the light, a single 24w cf in a studio fixture, as one way triggers a different camera setting for the white balance.

With the light held above and behind the camera, I get the green exposure.

With the light held above but off to the side of the camera, I get the yellow-ish exposure. Some additional light must be entering the camera sensor to trigger the white balance setting change.

10. Outstanding healthy looking mothers. Some of the best I have seen. Absolutely no sign of pushing them to hard. A rare sight these days. The majority of pics I see these days all have the starting of nute burn. IE. the tips all show signs of nute burn.Take a look at some of these pics in magazine,websites etc. They have all been pushed to the point that they are on that fine line of over fertilization.

11. Looks good. That soil mix is intense!

I like the strain too. Looks like you're making peace with the seeds.

I'm impressed.

12. #32 papawayne, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    MGB

Thanks for the kind words. :wave:

I'm definitely into slow-and-easy these days. I've had enough of hard-and-fast. :D

These are my mothers, week 7 & 9, grown under a single 400w mh:

[​IMG]

The 7 week pic was lit with a single 100w cf in the 5500k range. For the 9 week pic, I just raised the hood on the mh and snapped the shot. The lower-left and center plants were swapped in the second pic, but the other plants are in their original spots.

13. Goodlookinbuds

Thanks! :wave:

I've grown both Super Skunk and White Widow individually, and when I saw them crossed in the seed catalog, my mouth started to water. :D

Thanks for stopping by...

14. Hello Papa,

Very healthy looking ladies you have there.

Looking forward to the smoke report. :)

Sterces

15. Nice work papawayne!!...Very healthy looking...

16. #36 papawayne, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks! I like healthy ladies...I married one, but she turned into... :D ...nevermind.

The smoke report won't be until May. We've a long ways to go, yet.

Thank you very much!

Here she is 2 & 4 days after the AACT application:

[​IMG]

Looks like happy growth to me. :smoke:

Here's a link to the original image on the right - up close:

17. Last pic for this series. This is 5 days after the AACT application. All new growth seems rapid, clean and green.

[​IMG]

I'm bubbling another tea and getting ready for the next dose in a day or two.

Tomorrow I start mixing my soil for the clone grow. Might take pics, but it's pretty boring stuff.

Planning on cloning the mothers in 2-3 weeks.

18. Just really liking the color in those leaves. It just says "I'm healthy". So I've got a Blue Moonshine with that same structure to the leaf, does this plant have any Blueberry in it?

19. Briar Patch

Thanks for checking out my grow journal. :wave:

Peace Maker is a cross between a couple of old-school strains: Super Skunk and White Widow. No Blueberry, I'm afraid.

20. This is going to be a boring update, so here's some appropriately boring music - Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D major...sort of:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAj5LiXG5w&feature=related"]MattRach - The NEW Canon Rock - New album link on the video ! - YouTube[/ame]

I mixed 50 gals of soil for my grow yesterday - mix, mix, yawn, yawn. I'll offer this boring pic as proof of my labors:

[​IMG]
    Here is my boring mix recipe:

Base mix -- (12 cups ea.)

Humbolt Mix (Canadian spagnum peat moss, Perlite, Yucca extract)
    Dr. Earth 'Pot of Gold' potting soil.
    Perlite (8) Vermiculite (4)

Amendments --

Major
    Compost: 8 cups
    Worm castings: 4 cups
    Steer manure: 1 cup
    Kelp meal: 1 cup
    Alfalfa meal: 1 cup

Minor
    Blood meal: 2 Tbsp
    Soybean meal: 3 Tbsp
    Bone meal: 1/2 cup
    Crab meal: 1/2 cup
    Neem Seed meal: 1/2 cup

Minerals
    Montmorillonite clay: 8 Tbsp
    Rare Earth: 2 Tbsp
    Azomite: 2 Tbsp
    Granular humate: 3 Tbsp
    Soft rock Phosphate: 3 Tbsp
    Sul-Po-Mag: 3 Tbsp

FREEZE THE BROWSERS!!!

In case you were in a bored stupor and missed the really exciting parts, I'll highlight them for you:

Perlite (8) Vermiculite (4) That's right, I'm taking things right to the hairy edge by adding vermiculite to the mix.

Compost: 8 cups
    Worm castings: 4 cups
    OMG! I'm loving that compost so much, call me insane, but I just had to double up on it.

Montmorillonite clay: 8 Tbsp Okay, why I doubled this ingredient (from my original 4 Tbsp plan) is a complete mystery. I was compelled by some unknown force, without purpose or justification, to keep adding more Montmorillonite clay. Perhaps it was the name itself: Montmorillonite

Has a distinctively alien ring to it, don't you think?

That's it for this week. Next week should be an exciting update: Mothers bush gets a trim.

See ya...