"Mind-boggling Scientific questions that require deep though" thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by LSYouTiger, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Ancient history. We have new and drastically improved versions of "leaders" living in fantasies of their own making.

2. Is the universe a hologram?

3. I've been pondering the implications of this lately.

If observations results in reality, shouldn't observers be able to alter reality?

-yuri

4. What really is the singularity of a Black Hole? What happens once you reach the event horizon?

Does all matter shred to a point? Is a Black hole really a big bang for another parallel universe? Is it a worm hole?

The more you investigate I feel the crazier it gets. The laws of physics become obsolete.

5. To answer #3, in the most basic answer, life is possible only when the 5 essential elements are present( carbon, hydrogen,oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus).

6. you need to read, something from nothing by Richard Dawkins if I recall correctly. Define nothing. Such a thing may not exist. Some questions will likely remain unanswerable, but it is the quest and not falling back to ancient tribal myths for answers. Those logical fallacies promote ignorance and fear.

7. A rather deep concept in physics-

The equations of motion of complex classical physical systems can be found by finding the minimal way that the system can evolve thru its Configuration space. The path a system can take is called its "action". Physical systems tend to take path of least action (least energy).

Classical mechanics postulates that the path actually followed by a physical system is that for which the action is minimized, or, more generally, is stationary (i.e. rate of change for a small perturbation is zero).

In other words, the action satisfies a variational principle: the principle of stationary action. The action is defined by an integral, and the classical equations of motion of a system can be derived by minimizing the value of that integral.

If we define some function, L, as the difference between the systems equations for kinetic energy (T) and potential energy (V), then L = T - V and is called the system's "Lagrangian".

If we find the minimal path ("least action") that a system's Lagrangian can take as the system evolves in time given its kinetic and potential energy functions, what mathematically falls out - assuming the equations can be solved - are a set of N partial differential equations (for N particles) that aptly describe the system's equations motion!

Finding these equations of motion strictly by using Newton's Laws would be possible, but are usually so complicated as to render the problem nearly unsolvable for most complex physical systems. Using the Least Action Principle coupled with the concept of the Lagrangian makes finding the equations for horribly complicated physical systems doable.

In symbolic form

[​IMG]

The Lagrangian function, L (kinetic minus potential energy functions), is the kinetic minus potential energy as a function of position (q), velocity (q dot), and time t. The integral from t1 to t2 is called the "action" of the system. The delta signifies a small change in the action and basically finds the minimum of the action. This equation looks fierce but it's actually much easier to work out for complex systems than by using Newton's F=ma approach.

The Principle of Least Action is at root of many deep physical principles. For example, the very foundational Noether's theorem which states that "every differentiable symmetry of the action of a physical system has a corresponding conservation law.", is direct result of such considerations.

8. What blows my mind big time is how the information required to produce functional biological structures is encoded as base sequences in DNA molecules. I can't even do the profundity of this justice.

And even more bizarre, most of the functional structures that are required in order to express some portion of the sequence (gene) are themselves expressions of some other portions of the sequence. [​IMG]

And most of the enzymes that catalyze most of the biochemical reactions that make life tick are also specific expressions of the code. And even more phenomenal, the expression of the code (which strings of amino acids get synthesized (i.e. proteins) vs not) is dynamic and very responsive to changes in environmental conditions.

Fucking awesome!