"Mind-boggling Scientific questions that require deep though" thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by LSYouTiger, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Basically, to my understanding at least, in the beginning of the universe there was one force - electromagnetism. There weren't particles. No protons, no neutrons, no electrons, no quarks, etc. Just energy. As this energy was forced into a smaller and smaller space (as is the theory of a collapsing universe - one that expands until it 'snaps' and then recoils back to square one) the energy cannot fit, and an expansion of more than biblical proportions occur. First created out of this expansion was weak nuclear forces, then as the energy continued to expand, strong nuclear forces, and finally, gravity. Gravity is what evidently "shaped" the universe into what it is today.

It is true that the universe is expanding today, and perhaps in the far future there will be more than the 4 forces we recognize today (although in my limited science knowledge, i cant imagine what those would be; i'm a poli sci major after all:smoke: ). But, what we gotta remember, is that the duration of mans existence is pretty irrelevant to the existence of the universe. In 10 billion years, perhaps another force will arise. What I'm getting at is that maybe the laws are changing, but just so slowly that we cannot perceive them, cause we aren't/haven't been/wont be around for long enough. The fact that we've mapped the known universe so well in our short human lives is a pretty cool achievment. good job, mankind :hello:

2. It would be difficult to create life in experiments. But we do have electricity running through our bodies. Thunder clouds also produce anti matter which I think might help to create life. That's why the experiments didn't work. But that's speculation, no way of knowing.

Laws resulted from theaters and energy and shit. Where they came from... Who knows. But that's where laws came to be.

Laws haven't changed because since you've been alive, the universe hasn't changed much. You realize how long shit takes to change. Change doesn't happen over night, or during 1 life time.

Laws are just laws now. It wont always be this way, just like some laws have changed.

Gravity is strange. It's the most influential force, but it's the weakest. Jump up and your defying gravity. Yet it's this force that creates stars and planets and galaxies.

The initial big bang may have had different laws. It was trillion upon trillion of degrees. It was pure energy. It's gonna act differently than how it is now since the universe had time to expand and cool. Matter didn't form until after 130,000+ years because quarks moved too fast to clump into matter.

You do know the universe is around 14 billion years old. You can't expect it to be the same at all times.

Stable matter- because the universe cooled down. Now quarks move slows and can clump together to form electrons and protons and neutrons. That's why we have stable matter. Which isn't always that stable either.

Weak nuke force- Radio active decay.
    Strong nuke force- Force that binds electrons, protons, and neutrons together.
    Particles can't decay and attract at the same time.

What if consciousness is the result of reactions in our body that creates another dimension or force. This extra dimesnsion could be the ability for matter to recognize itself. We are all gods controlin matter with our brains and bodies.

Can you send me a good link on that. Sounds interesting.

3. Well, that's self evident isn't it? It would violate principles that we've proven time and time again. It could definitely shake things up, but I have a suspicion there will be an explanation that doesn't turn physics completely on its head. From what I've read about it they're rumoring the use of extra-dimensions.

4. If the universe is infinitely big could it be infinitely small as well?

Humans have always thought they found the smallest particle of matter and found smaller and smaller. Their is no smallest piece of matter as everything infinitely breaks down.

5. Universe is finite. Matter can't be created by an infinitely small particle made up if an infinitely small particle. I think it's quarks that make up atoms.

At some point, energy converts into matter. At that point is the smallest matter particle. So far we think it's quarks.

Matter is just a force field.

6. Abiut those extra dimensions, I've been pondering a bit about that. Why, for example, are there three spacial dimensions, and only one time? Maybe there are really 6 dimensions, and the two additional ones are "times"?

Short explanation of my view on spacial dimensions.
    The first spacial dimension is the so called x-axis. It's simply a line, just there as a building block. For example, you can imagine a line in front of you, going from your left to your right. You can go into the line, and move yourself back and forth along the line...
    The second spacial dimension is the y-axis. It's literally a set of lines in a row, right next to each other. Returning to our allusion, you can technically say that, taking a step forward along the yaxis you entered another line.
    The third spacial dimension, the z axis, is a set of planes, on top of each other. You can jump up, and you will enter another plane.
    Therefore, the y axis is used to switch lines, and the z axis is used to switch planes. It's like a grid, giving you easy access of any line you want to be in.

Now we have time. You can move across time, going forward and theoretically going backward. But what if there is another time right next to it? What if we have a plane of multiple times? And then, we can have a ''space" of times?
    We can't move along these times, of course.

Jusg slowing down a bit, what IS another time? Sure, we can technically move through times on a y axis time line, But if we do switch times, where da fuk are we?

After my first ten minutes of thinking, another time is simply another dimension, another universe. A parallel universe. But later, I came across this thought train.
    We have a universe built of lines and ways to move between them. However, in whichever line you are, you still on the same line of time. You can switch spacial lines however often you like, but you won't get out of your time line. Now we reverse. On whatever line of time you are, you are still in the same spacial line.
    What the heck have I just created?
    According to this, there are, or may be, multiple objects in different times, in this universe. For example, that chair you're sitting on may as well be in a different line of time? Or just half of it? Of course, nothing says we have to be on the same spacial line.
    And so, a time line is a thing's life? It's time begins when it is born, or created, and ends when it dies? Help...

7. This is not a mind boggling deep thought.

No if there is no sound "wave" then there is no sound
    Nothing "traveled" faster than the speed of light.

The space itself expanded creating distance faster than light could traverse it

Is that even possible?
    To me life is sentience.

What is sentience?

Hmmm idk. I'd say the ability to contemplate self
    Energy interactions.

Energy repelling energy gives the illusion of "solid"
    Wut?

No quarks are just smaller forms of the building blocks of energy.

Its all still energy
    Dude no. You are confusing yourself with labels.

Its all just.

Different types of energy transforming into different types of energy.

Even the big bang didn't "create" anything.

The big bang was the "unit" of energy that "broke apart/transformed" into a more complex form that is our universe

Over time energy becomes more and more complex as it "breaks apart" or rather, "evovles"

-yuri

8. #48 ZedEH, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    For #2 I believe that it is that nothing can accelerate past the speed of light, for example if a particle or something of the likeness were to not accelerate past, but exist beyond the speed then it should theoretically go backwards in time, of appear to as you are seeing light from the future reflected from it. If you were to be going at the speed of light and turned on a laser pointer no light would be emitted as it is not moving forward relative to the source. The faster you are moving the slower the light will seem to move. Moving 1m/s slower than light would cause light to seem like it is moving at 1m/s, however you would not see much at that point because your vision would be distorted.

#4. There is not than just magnetism holding you together, there is actually quantum attraction happening in the sub-atomic levels. It is still unclear how this works, but we are getting close to understanding.

#6. To the best of my understanding it is nearly impossible to contain the energy to make matter, along with the fact of what element it is to be made into. Take hydrogen for example, I think that would take half the energy than it would to make helium and 1/6th of that to make carbon (if I remembering my table correctly) and so on. But turning energy into matter would require energy, so much it would probably require more matter to be turned into energy than is gained.

I only put down a few as I am on a phone and it is to hard to type. But these are just my theories, I am no scientist I just like to do that kind of stuff in my spare time.

9. 1) sound does not travel in space I think I remember learning about this in physics
    2) when traveling at the speed of light, time slows down. This makes up for what you said that if you're traveling at the speed of light and throw something it will go over the speed of light. This is also how one may theoretically time travel into the future because if you travel at the speed of light for what feels like 6 months may actually be well over 100 years. Not sure on the time difference but this is just an idea on how that works

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Reality is whatever we want it to be, look at George w Bush

11. i think something is only classified as alive if it has a nucleus in it's cells

12. That meme isn't correct

Anyone who's tried to grab anything underwater with pruny fingers know it negatively affects grip, not positively.

Source, my entire life in water as well as several years lifeguard experience

-yuri

13. Meme seems to be scientifically proven. Even Google says it on First Page.

However life does provide greater answers for oneself then science.

So it goes both ways i guess :)

14. #55 willywagpole, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Lame double post :(

15. I don't like how scientists try to point at every single thing and try to explain how it evoved because it helped with survival.

Many many traits are simply there and nnever had anything to do with survival

-yuri

16. It isn't hard these days to confuse evolution and climate science with religion and politics. There's a reason for that - and it isn't a particularly scientific one.

17. It's not so much about survival.. it is about finding the reason for things. If we didn't have prune fingers, we still would of survived just fine. If the reason wasn't for better grip, it was for something else. Very few traits are just there for no reason.. and if what you think were true, that they negatively effect grip.. I highly doubt it would be such a common trait. It is like color blindness.. it is still so prevalent in our gene pool because it was beneficial at one point. The fact that pretty much everyone gets prune fingers says that it was a rather beneficial trait at one point.. and the fact that the rest of our skin doesn't get wrinkled with water says that it isn't just a random side effect with no reason. Since most all modern humans get them, that'd mean that the trait more than likely appeared with a common ancestor to all humans alive today.. which would make sense cause that probably would of been around the time we started walking upright which was probably due to adapting to a watery environment. Prune fingers will and do give a better grip, not necessarily for things underwater.. but for things on land that get wet. I will say the penis looking meme isn't correct in saying that the brain caused it though.

18. ill use some obvious examples here

Why do we have different hair and eye colors? They aren't there for any purpose other than random chance.

If some alien scientist saw a population where 90% of the people had blond hair, they'd be wondering, what survival advantages it grants.

Its very possible that something like pruny fingers never offered any use at all. It could simply be a side effect of some other gene that is for survival

-yuri

19. Hair and eye color isn't random chance either.. at the very least those traits were born of sexual selection. When blue eyes first appeared, they spread like wild fire.. and while the reason isn't really known, it was either because they offered an advantage in their environment or were more sexually appealing. White skin appeared in higher latitudes due to weaker sunlight and the need to absorb more of it. Everything has a reason. Now if everyone had the same hair and eye color, then it would be safe to say that there is a reason those traits dominated. Thing is, pretty much everybody gets prune fingers.. prune fingers are as common to humans as having a heart and lungs. If it was a side effect, not only would it more than likely fizzle out.. but you'd see a ton of random mutations in those genes since they're just there. We don't see that, we see pretty much every single human being getting prune fingers.. and that would mean that that trait appeared with purpose with a common ancestor to all living humans.