"Mind-boggling Scientific questions that require deep though" thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by LSYouTiger, Dec 31, 2011.

1. This thread is for people to ponder about scientific questions or problems that require deep thought. It is for you to answer or think about questions I have and for you to ask your own. I didn't see another thread like this, not on the list of the first page therefore it tactically doesn't exist.

1) sounds are strange. It's caused by particles colliding into each other that bounce and hit another. This causes a wave of movement that can be heard... Sound. So if there are little to no particles in space, does sound travel in space?

2) we know that light is pure energy and nothing can travel faster than pure energy. Except for one instance after the big bag when the university increased a million million million million times in the matter of 1 millionth of 1 millionth of 1 millionth of a second. It grew faster than the speed of light, besides that theoretical occurrence, nothing can travel faster than light.
    We know that if you throw an object 5 m/s. It will travel at 5 m/s. If you are in a car going 10 m/s and throw an object 5 m/s, the object will go 15 m/s. So if you go extremely fast, then shoot a beam of light, would that light not travel faster than the speed of light?

3) what is life? I know this is asked all the time, but think about it. We are atoms compounded together to make a machine that has "life". If atoms make up everything, how are we so different than rocks, water, and sand. We are made up of atoms but some have the capacity of "life". We are accentually a sophisticated network of atoms that have the ability to interact with matter around us.

4) what is matter. You can touch, feel, see, taste, an smell it. But it is mostly empty space. Think about it, atoms have a nucleus then a big electron cloud where small particle orbit in space, atoms bind to other atoms from the electrons. So really, it's 2 nucleus separated by a vast area of space held only by magnetism. Magnetism is the only thing that is keepin you upright and together. And it keeps you from falling into the earth.

5) quarks is a newly discover sub micro scopic particle. It is the building blocks of matter. Quarks clump together to form electron and protons and neutrons. If there is too much energy, the quarks move to fast and chaotically to clump. Quarks also move strangely, it opens us up to the quantum world in which everything is random. With Einstein's law of relativity, we know that energy and matter are one in the same. Are quarks just a randomness of energy that collects to form what we think of as matter.

6) with Einstien's law of relativity, we know that you can make matter out of pure energy, that was essentially te big bang. We do the exact opposite with nuclear weapons. We take matter and turn it into pure energy. How do we clean a nuclear fallout which is an area of high radiation, which is energy. It would seem that turning it back into matter would be the best way.
    After the big bang, quarks moved to fast but after the universe began to cool, quarks clumped to form matter... So if we somehow cool down a fallout area, could that energy turn into matter?

Many more ideas but they will have to wait

2. technically there is sound in space, but since there is so little density, its near impossible to detect. if 2 rocks in space colide, there is sound, it just gets dissipated in the infinie vaccum

question 2 has been answered in the lab. the speed of light remains constant. you cant speed up light, even if you put a flashligh on the front of a rocket ship, and fly super fast

to me life is order. the oposite of entropy. life is the ability of matter, to collect more of itself, and try not to lose it. by this definition, gravity is a form of life?

matter is nothing special. it is bassically a force field. it is simply another form of energy. when you touch the wall, you are touching a field of energy

5: most people misunderstand this. IT IS NOT RANDOM!!!!!!!!!!! the uncertainty principle bassically said that since you cant detect things without disturbing them, and since you cant know what is unkown, that those things should be ASSUMED to be random, simply because it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict. hope i cleared that up

i think you are way off on no 6. nuclear waste has nothing to do with relativity. radiation is caused by a natural process. but your on the right track, harmfull radiation is energy, and while i dont know if we can turn it into matter, we can certainly harvest it.

3. What is reality?
    As in everything. Every possible level of existence, every possible alternative universe, every possible other reality. Why is it here, where did it come from. The concept of ''being'' sometimes baffles me. How did this reality im experiencing now, plus the ones im not, come into existence.

4. Most of that has been solved. We know how life came into existence. The big bang still baffles is though. It just happened.

5. No i dont meen it like that.
    Its quite hard to describe.
    Say there is an afterlife, say there are other universes, levels of reality etc.
    How did everything exists that is classed as reality even come into being.
    The more i think about it the more it baffles me.

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KmNZNT5xw]The Matrix - Deja vu - YouTube[/ame]

7. #7 420stonedpanda, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
    Do you think everything came from nothing? That's what I find most difficult about the big bang, the whole something from nothing idea, it seems like a logical paradox. And also the whole, 'universe will expand for infinity', to me sounds like scientists just have no clue. I'm not a mathematician or anything but I just don't understand how everything could've come from nothing in a moment of creation, there had to be SOMETHING before.

I think it's all cyclical, expansion and contraction like an elastic band, though that still poses the question of how everything started so it doesn't help much. It just seems most logical, and also cycles are everywhere in nature, and I don't think it's too far fetched to think the whole universe could be cyclical.

I also heard this really interesting thing about black holes basically leading to/creating new universes, though I got seriously confused when trying to understand it...

Yeah, just wondering how you think everything begun. This is definitely my favorite question to ponder, I get seriously mindfucked when I think about this stuff stoned...

8. #8 Dryice, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
    A zero energy universe could come from nothing... which would correlate to a universe with flat topology... which it seems to be that we live in one. I hold the belief that we're not really designed to handle questions like 'what came before the universe'. We've developed to handle issues on Earth, and we do that quite well. Pondering what came before the universe, or what caused it to explode into this great mess of things is really beyond us. Though I definitely don't disagree it's fun to think about it, I'm just not sure you can really come up with anything that's really accurate, you can only come up with things that make sense.

9. It can be theoretically be proven with math, no one on this thread probably knows the equations and shit, but I always liked the thought that a major scientist googled something and a thread like this popped up and I said something that makes him think and he proves it.

10. I think the simplest and most complete definition of life is life is a way for the universe to know itself. I heard it somewhere else, so I don't take credit for it, but after thinking this over many times while high and sober, this explanation makes the most sense to me. Everything else is just details, but I think this covers why there is life at all.

11. It had to have came from nothing, unless there was always something, but if so where did that thing come from if it couldn't have came from nothing?

12. Well if it was infinite then it was always there and therefore it didn't come from nothing.

Can someone shed some light on this question? - What do scientists say about what came before the big bang? Is the general consensus (1) Nothing existed before the big bang, (2) Something existed before the big bang or (3) We don't know?

Because I've always gone with (2).

13. What if after every certain period of time the universe collapses back in on itself, and the big bang reoccurs, and the universe is an on going loop, and it is identical each time meaning we live the exact same life over and over.

14. It could just be an infinite cycle though? A universe that has existed for an infinite amount of time.

And I think it's 2 / 3, I saw an interview with Dr Roger Penrose on Horizon a couple of weeks ago. He was an advocate of something from nothing and was saying that view is now redundant as there must've been something before.

But there were a couple of others physicists saying that we really have no clue...

15. as far as i know its never been conclusively proven that the big bang did happen, although it is generally accepted that it did. i try not to put too much faith into any 1 thing.

16. University, it increases a lot after the big bang. :D

17. Think of it this way. Though it may seem like a logical paradox to us without PhD's, there is an analogy that really helped me get the Big idea. Goes like this:

If you walk out to the middle of a field with a shovel and begin to dig a hole you end up with a mound proportionate to the size of the hole. Something from nothing. Now picture the universe you see today as the mound and anti-matter and dark energy (not sure about this one, just sounds logical because there is a "dark" in it, which makes it sound like the opposite of energy :)) as the hole.

But don't take me too seriously, cause I'm just a stoner. :smoke:

18. ^^^Haha same here man I don't really have a clue about the maths and physics and stuff, I just like thinking about it and have watched a few documentaries.

And with that analogy, surely you're getting something from something? Or maybe i'm being dumb...

19. Haha you watch Morgan Freeman through the wormhole. That show is awesome