Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Homeade Clay Bowl...good or bad idea?

• Please log in to reply

Sk8brdZepp13

Sk8brdZepp13

• Registered Upgraded
  • 356 posts
Just today I made a bowl out of Sculpey Clay. It looks almost identical to a trumpet mouthpiece. I'm worried that lighting/burning the clay will release bad fumes (i had baked it in the oven for 15 mins at 275 degrees already, this is what the directions on the clay box said in order to make your clay hard). I went to my attic and lit the clay bowl and sucked through the bottom and a ton of smoke rushed into my lungs. I didnt think that was a good sign. Doesn't this happen if you burn like a homemade tin-foil bowl also? I need some sort of advice. Should i ditch it, is it perfectly ok, anything i should do to it to make it less harmful?

Here is a link to the sculpey clay box that i bought:
http://www.sculpey.c...mp_sIIIsamp.htm

on the box it also warns and i quote:
"Sculpey Clay III should be used for decorative purposes only, not with food, beverages, or smoking materials."

deadeye007

deadeye007

Jack Of All Trades

• Old School
  • 888 posts

on the box it also warns and i quote:
"Sculpey Clay III should be used for decorative purposes only, not with food, beverages, or smoking materials."

Dude come on! If it says it right on the box not to use it as a smoking material, what do you think the answer is? Use some sense please.

2ndHandSmokee

2ndHandSmokee

Ignore the Extra 'E'

• Registered Upgraded
  • 403 posts
In most instances, if something tells you on the box not to use it for smoking, you shouldn't use it for smoking. This is one of those instances. Im pretty sure you dont want to be smoking out of anything that lets of smoke on its own.

bubblerman

bubblerman

• Registered Upgraded
  • 279 posts
honestly, are you joking. you even type that into the post and still dont realize you answered your questoin right there. come on now....

naughtyneighbor

naughtyneighbor

I said no but I wanted it

• Old School
  • 2,809 posts
Hahahaha

becauseIlikeIt

becauseIlikeIt

• Registered Upgraded
  • 312 posts
you have smoked your self retarded

NeO247

NeO247

• Registered Upgraded
  • 506 posts
i made a clay pipe last week...only used it once...i liked it. i didnt buy it anywhere so there was no box. i got it in a bag. is it bad for me?

odoylerules1021

odoylerules1021

Abba-Zaba

• Registered Upgraded
  • 154 posts
My god! u are not bright

Venomous Puffer

Venomous Puffer

"VPuff"

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,589 posts
its prolly a bad idea to smoke out of a clay bowl that you made with homemade clay. The best would prolly be the professional clay that you fire in a kilm and glaze it cause that lets off no smoke of its own and has already pretty much been exposed to wayy more heat than u can ever do with a lighter

- Puffer

becauseIlikeIt

becauseIlikeIt

• Registered Upgraded
  • 312 posts

i made a clay pipe last week...only used it once...i liked it. i didnt buy it anywhere so there was no box. i got it in a bag. is it bad for me?

what color was it? was it earth clay?

pballplayer12

pballplayer12

Cen Jerz

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i made a little bubbler outta clay...it worked but since it wasnt fired in kilm wen u put water in it after a few min the bottom came off and leaked so i just used it as a bowl...worked fine till my friend dropped it....i felt fine tho so i guess it was good clay..it was red clay also

NeO247

NeO247

• Registered Upgraded
  • 506 posts
well its professional...i didnt put it in a kiln, i jus let it air dry for a week and a half...i carved stuff into it too =]. everything seems fine...no wierd taste....

leodicapario

leodicapario

• Old School
  • 1,257 posts
lol as for the guy who made this post.. LMFAO @ U !!!!!:smoking: .. now you, sir, have character

Venomous Puffer

Venomous Puffer

"VPuff"

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,589 posts
lololol if you pour water into it and it starts to melt or turn milky white, NOT GOOD!!! Do not smoke out of that shit lol

.....CAM.....

.....CAM.....

Take it easy.

• Silver Member
  • 862 posts

Evilpig

Evilpig

ṃαÿøɾ øƒ ģɾαṡṡ

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,947 posts
Too bad. You can make nice things out of clay, really customizable.

NeO247

NeO247

• Registered Upgraded
  • 506 posts
ahh ok...i put water on it and it was milky =[. oh well. another one bites the dust...unless anyone has an idea of what i can do to make it safe to smoke. btw i know nothing about clay...lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users