Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Vaping Vs Smoking, just how much healthier is it

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by dawnofwar, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, just wanted to get everyone's input on this, and a place where everyone can share their input. So, it's common knowledge that vaping is far, far healthier then smoking. But, you are inhaling something into your lungs, which in an of it's self, unless it's oxygen is not healthy. There is still damage that is done, but no where near as much as smoking does. But how little, or how much is actually done?

I have an example from my experience:
    I have some kind of cold that's effected my lungs. I tried vaping during the descent from the peak of my cold, and the irritation to my throat was very very little. All that happened was that I was able to feel, the exact spot my throat was irritated, and hardly any more roughness then usual. I know if I tried smoking a bowl or joint, I would've been coughing my ass off. So that in and of its self shows that vaping does help.

But there still is damage that can be done to your lungs as you are inhaling something that has the potential to be irritating (IE if you cough, even the tiniest cough.)

What are your thoughts, opinions?

2. Vaporizing is not at all any worse than breathing normal oxygen. Do you know what vapor is? Simply airborn THC molecules, not like tar or anything that's bad for your body.

3. If it irritates your throat, it's worse then inhaling oxygen. You are inhaling foreign particles. There is still some degree of harm to vaping, but it is no where near as bad as smoking.

4. As far as I know, vaping has almost no measurable effects on lung performance, less than 1% decrease if I'm not mistaken. Smoking cannabis causes about a 5% decrease (give or take) and tobacco WAY more (well into the double digits).

Oh and as a tid bit, oxygen only makes up about 21% of the gas mix that we call "air" so your body can handle more than oxygen perfectly fine.

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

5. Interesting numbers, do you have a source for that info?
    I wouldn't be surprised. I would put tobacco in 50% range from personal experience.
    EDIT: Also, is it true that weed lets your lungs absorb more oxygen? I've heard this from numerous people and never actually found out the right answer. I heard it dilates your capilaries or something along those lines.

6. Ugh, I'm horrible at keeping sources as I mainly read for leisure. G.Storm Crow might have something on hand, but I'll plumb through the depths of my internet history... don't hold your breath though.
    I DO remember a lot of the cannabis vs tobacco numbers came from many a google search into "smoking weed vs cigarettes". And that the reasoning behind the vape numbers were that it vapor doesn't contain any tar or really anything but cannabinoids and a very small amount of water vapor. Tar and inflammatories are the main causes behind decreased lung function as they physically coat/swell the alveoli in the lungs.

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

7. I think part of your tolerance is from a.build up of tar in your lungs and not being as efficent at absorbing the smoke

8. @the_tokerman:
    All good bro, I'm like that all the time. Just wanted to make sure you weren't pulling numbers out of the air :p

Vaping actually helps me to get rid of mucus when I'm sick funny enough. Doesn't hurt at all, way better then that benalyn shit for mucus expulsion (I believe weed is an expectorant right?)

@Aap23: That wouldn't really be a tolerance build up, that's just your becoming less efficient at absorption. Tolerance is your body requiring more of the drug to get the same effect.

9. It really shouldn't be worse than a breath of air. No more harmful than holding your breath.

It's just THC molecules. Those molecules aren't bad for your throat...or lungs....they're actually quite small particles that get absorbed easily. And depending on the type of vape, theres some oxygen mixed in too.

There are no heavy particles, no carcinogens, nothing.

Besides, you think the air you breathe is just oxygen? If you live in a city, a breath of "fresh" air might be worse than vaping ;P. I exaggerate, but still.

10. Makes sense. Yea city air is probably SHIT. Would rather inhale someone's farts then city air.

Obvious it isn't just oxygen but I don't feel like naming all the different chemicals (IE Nitrogen which is at 17% I believe.) and besides, oxygen takes up most of the %% anyway.

11. I prefer smoking

I love the dry sensation of incandescent smoke burning through my lungs. I don't know why.

12. Yeah city air is disgusting! I hate going home to visit because as soon as I land I can already smell the difference.... Stale.

Oh and Nitrogen makes up close to 80% of the air... With oxygen at around 21 and CO2 at like .5-1%. So nitrogen is the main component volumetrically and by mass.

13. Read!

Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study (news - 2000)
    MAPS - Volume 6 Number 3 Summer 1996 -

NORML -MAPS Study Shows Vaporizers Reduce Toxins in Marijuana Smoke
    (news - 2001) CA NORML Health Information

Vaporize! (full - 2002?) http://www.mikuriya.com/can_vapor.html\t

Evaluation Of Volcano® Vaporizer For The Efficient Emission Of THC, CBD, CBN And The Significant Reduction And/Or Elimination Of Polynuclear-Aromatic (PNA) Analytes Resultant Of Pyrolysis (full - 2003) http://www.maps.org/mmj/vaporizerstudy4.15.03.pdf

Vaporizing cannabis is safer than smoking (letter - 2003)
    Recent letters

Use of vaporizers reduces toxins from cannabis smoke (news - 2003)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Cal NORML/MAPS study shows vaporizer can drastically reduce toxins in marijuana smoke (news - 2003) CA NORML Health Information

Recommendation to Patients: "Don’t smoke, Vaporize" (news - 2003)
    CCRMG

Cannabis Vaporizer Combines Efficient Delivery of THC with Effective Suppression of Pyrolytic Compounds (full - 2004) http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/jcantgieringervapor.pdf

Volcano is to Vaporizer As Porsche is to Automobile (news - 2004)
    CCRMG

'Smokeless' medicinal pot has its advocates (news - 2005)
    'Smokeless' medicinal pot has its advocates / Vaporized fumes said to be cleaner, almost toxin-free

US Patent 7088914 - Device, method and resistive element for vaporizing a medicament (full - 2006) Device, method and resistive element for vaporizing a medicament - US Patent 7088914 Full Text

Evaluation of a vaporizing device (Volcano) for the pulmonary administration of tetrahydrocannabinol.
    (abst – 2006) \tEvaluation of a vaporizing device (Volcano) for ... [J Pharm Sci. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Decreased respiratory symptoms in cannabis users who vaporize. (full - 2007)
    Decreased respiratory symptoms in cannabis users who vaporize

Vaporization as a smokeless cannabis delivery system (abst - 2007)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

New Studies Destroy the Last Objection to Medical Marijuana (news - 2007)
    New Studies Destroy the Last Objection to Medical Marijuana | Drugs | AlterNet

Vaporizers Could Remove Pitfalls of Smoking Medical Marijuana (news - 2007)
    Vaporizers Could Remove Pitfalls of Smoking Medical Marijuana | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

Marijuana Vaporizer Provides Same Level Of THC, Fewer Toxins, Study Shows
    (news - 2007) Marijuana Vaporizer Provides Same Level Of THC, Fewer Toxins, Study Shows

Smokeless Cannabis Delivery Device Efficient And Less Toxic (news - 2007)
    Smokeless Cannabis Delivery Device Efficient And Less Toxic

No Decrease in Pulmonary Function Associated with Long-Term Cannabis Smoking, Study Says (news - 2007) Illinois NORML - No Decrease in Pulmonary Function Associated with Long-Term Cannabis Smoking, Study Says

Vaporized marijuana effect on CF. NOT smoking (forum post - 2007)
    Vaporized marijuana effect on CF. NOT smoking - Topix

Effect of intrapulmonary tetrahydrocannabinol administration in humans. \t(abst - 2008)
    Effect of intrapulmonary tetrahydrocannabinol administration in humans.

Cannabinoid Receptor 1 Binding Activity and Quantitative Analysis of Cannabis sativa L. Smoke and Vapor (full – 2009) http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/cpb/58/2/201/_pdf

Cannabis smoke condensate III: The cannabinoid content of vaporised Cannabis sativa (abst - 2009) Cannabis smoke condensate III: The cannabinoid content of vaporised Cannabis sativa, Inhalation Toxicology, Informa Healthcare

Cannabinoid receptor 1 binding activity and quantitative analysis of Cannabis sativa L. smoke and vapor.
    (full - 2010) \tCPB : Vol. 58 (2010) , No. 2 201

Pulmonary function in cannabis users: Support for a clinical trial of the vaporizer
    (full - 2010) http://www.lottoedge.com/Vaporizer in press.pdf

14. Yeah there are bronchodilator effects at lower vaporization temperatures.

15. Damn, Crow comin' in with fireeeeee.

16. @Granny, now that's what I was looking for!!
    Sweet.

17. Oxygen is actually lethal to us, but we need it. Too much oxygen in your bloodstream will kill you. Just sayin'

18. Damn. Is there anything Storm Crow doesn't know?

19. Haha I was waiting on her. Has anyone ever even tried to disagree with her? Her posts contain too much truth.

20. Vapor.

Smoke

Which destiny don you choose