24/0 veg 14/10 flower light cycle

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Jaygrass, Dec 19, 2011.

1. So I know a guy that's been growing indoor and outdoor since about 97 and he was telling me that the past few grows he's been doing 24/0 veg and 14/10 flower. He says the buds are way bigger and much denser and the yield is almost doubled. He said when doing 18/6 and 12/12 he would get a little more than 1.5 lbs per 1000w. He says with this method he's pulling almost 3 lbs per 1000w. Anybody else every hear anything on this before?

2. I think it depends on the strain. Some take longer light periods better than others. It would make sense that he's getting better yields though, since it is mainly light that makes the buds grow

3. Has anyone ever tried this? I am really interested. I have a theory that this cycle may speed up the flowering process. This is because an 8 week flowering strain requires 96 hours of light. If you have 14 hours of light for flowering it would only take around 6.5 weeks for an 8 week strain. I'm not sure if this is the case and that is why I am asking.

4. no. you cant grow weed faster than its genetic flowerin period, not by varied light scheds like this not by different chemicals.

what he was probably refering to is 10hrs light/14hrs dark. that mimics the natural light cycles of the earth around nov-dec, which is the end of the plant's life cycle. this could be telling the plant to hurry up and finish flower because the winter is coming, killing the plant as nature intended to release it's seeds to the ground for next year's crop.

ive flowered out plants 12/12 for 6-7 weeks, then used a 13/11 and 10/14 light sched for the last 1-2 weeks, to increase a little bit extra yield, and a lot more crystals (resin glands) my belief is that the plant pushes out more resin glands when you only have 10 hrs of light, like previously mentioned, because its in the dark longer and needs more glands to protect against the winter elements.

i am not a botanist, just a gardener who likes to experiment and hypothicize. your results may vary

5. This is what i found doing trial and error.

18/6 Veg. and UP

17/7 Flower in 2 1/2 months
    16/8 Flower in 1 1/2 Month
    15/9 Flower in 4 Weeks
    14/10 Flower in 3 Weeks
    13/11 Flower in 2 Weeks
    12/12 Flower 1 Week

Just remember in nature there is no switch from 18/6 to 12/12 one day to the other, everything is gradually.

Anything below 12 Hrs is just make no sense because you want as much light as possible.

That's my Own experience doing the same strain with different clones at different times cycles.

Hope it helps

6. I'm not sure if I understand.

You run 18/6 or whatever for veg then start with 17/11 to start flowering?
    Or do u go 12/12 then increase light in flowering?

The guy above your reply doesn't make much sense to me since I always thought more light more bud. He's saying he gets higher yields by decreasing the light cycle.

7. [quote name='"Jaygrass"']I'm not sure if I understand.

You run 18/6 or whatever for veg then start with 17/11 to start flowering?
    Or do u go 12/12 then increase light in flowering?

The guy above your reply doesn't make much sense to me since I always thought more light more bud. He's saying he gets higher yields by decreasing the light cycle.[/quote]

I do my normal 18/6 n then 12/12.

I did different times in the past and after a while the plants start flowering at the time I stated above.

8. #8 Young45, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
    more light doesnt always mean more yield. your yield directly relates to your root mass and above soil growth during veg. why do you think people veg for so long? if more light = more yield, then people wouldnt even veg in the first place, and throw 2000w at it in flower.

before you even flip to 12/12, your veg growth will determine the limits of your yield. no matter what how you flower, your yield will be a predetermined "X," with your yield = "X-y" y being you fucking up by herming your plants, stress, not enough water, nutrients, etc.

the reason 12/12 is selected as the amount of light needed for flowering, is that the marijuana plant needs 12 hours of DARKNESS to "know" its the winter, so push out all those resin glands to protect from the winter weather/conditions. so hence, giving your plant more darkness for the last week, such as 11light/13dark, makes the plant think that its late dec/jan and that it really REALLY needs to start to kick out resin glands to protect itself even more.

like i said before, my trichome production increased by using this method, your results will vary. in growing marijuana indoors, there are too many variables to isolate and give a definative thesis supporting answer to this question.

9. as stated above, it differs from strain to strain, and what the plant is naturally used to.

but it is a scientific fact that most flowers grow, or bloom, at night. i dont see why weed would be much different. yes it needs that light to make energy, but its the night time that makes that energy work, in laymans terms.

so, to be honest, i think cutting it short a few hours would be cheating yourself out of a bigger harvest. in nature, things are gradual. so im not saying you have to switch to 12/12 right away. but roughly after day 14 it should be 12/12.

adding to it, some plants bloom in the spring, while some in the fall. plants that bloom in the spring start when days get longer. weed on the other hand will bloom when nights get longer (fall). so you can already assume that MJ prefers nights.

i dont really trust doing less than 12 hours of light, unless somebody does a side by side experiment in two seperate rooms (one control one the test). i dont want to seem conceited, but after years of learning about plants blooming at night and that getting drilled into my head, i guess it would take alot to change my mind. but to each their own :smoke:

-OSUB

10. eaxactly, as always from strains to strains your results will vary! the ways to grow and bloom are endless, find a way that your strain and style support, have fun, and enjoy the smoke.

11. I know this is a dead thread but this is what i've come up with.

A search for the best places in the world to grow weed all end up coming up between 15 and 30 degrees - north or south.

Considering typical harvest times around the end of September, and knowing a set flowering time, a plant triggers at some point.  But what point.

Assuming an average of a 60 day flowering period, at harvest on September 21, we can assumed flowering triggers just past the middle of June.

Looking at how many of hours 23 degrees on the map gets, it's 13.4 hours of daylight on June 21.  The variance doesn't chance two weeks either way on the date scale.

Therefore, we have to assumed anything less than about 13.5 hours of daylight triggers flowering.

Interestingly on September 21, our estimated harvest time, is exactly 12.0 hour.

I have to question whether anything more than 14 hours of daylight is sufficient and worthy even in veg.  Plants do their thing in darkness, and they don't grow outdoors in Alaska with 18 hours of light.

I'm going to try 13.5/10.5 hours to trigger flower from 18/6 and gradually move down to 12/12 during the flowering period, adjusting weekly.

12. #12 organacare, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    I feel this gradual method increases stretch and delays flowering by a week. Have you ever done a blackout period to induce flowering?
    I agree with the 14hrs or so threshold.

13. sorry you cut your flowering switch period as a minimum of one week but I've found the minimum to be in the range of 2-2 and a half weeks centered on 18 days as my average time to flower after critical dark time.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

no, never tried anything more than 24/0, 18/6 and 12/12.

15. Alaska grows weed fine in the summer. With 24 hours of light at the peak and then drapes off till September and October. And that's the normal time to harvest a plant. In door growing I use 24/0 for veg also, never had a strain that didn't like it. Also autos do great in summer up here, just have to plant in pots above ground because the ground freezes early and defrosts late. So you wouldn't have time to get through the grow.