Weed and working out/muscle gain

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by chikyosci, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Sorry if there's a topic on this already or something.

Five months ago I stopped using weed because our school sent letters regarding drug use in the school. The administration was encouraging honest students to come forward and give names or known users and dealers so out of fear and a slight urge to control my addiction, I stopped. (Thankfully it was just an empty threat since we haven't had a single test

Since then I did a lot of detox shit drinking lots of liquids, working out, etc. Anyway, I started lifting weights since then and a few weeks ago my friend mentioned that weed relaxes your muscles therefore in a way you lose what you worked out. He didn't really have any facts to support it aside from his body not aching at the slightest despite rarely ever working out (Your muscles naturally don't hurt much anymore if you do it often apparently)

So fast-forward, I started smoking weed socially again like last month and I just wondered if my friend's claims are true in anyway. Basically what I'm asking is if I smoke after a work out (not necessarily directly after) will I really lose what I worked out in that session?

I did some google searches and they're mostly forum results. One has an anti-drug bias and it's just telling the OP to quit, etc. The ones from a more liberal forum aren't helping either.

Thanks to anyone who replies :)

2. I'll tell you from years of heavy personal use as a water polo player no.

3. Oh my god, thank you sir! I was waiting a while for that answer. Just came back from the gym a few hours ago and was urging for a toke. Good to know I can do it now.

Cheers!

4. Zero related man, if anything vape to be 100% healthy, working out is tearing muscle fibre, food rest is what makes them grow, what does weed do? Give you good sleeps and munch food all the time , seems perfect fit

Btw I blaze before my workout 9/10 times, once you try it it's hard to stop the lifts pumps and energy is nothing close to sober/caffeine

5. I find if I go to the gym high, the big lifts(squat, dead etc) will sober me up pretty fast, but I enjoy an after-workout toke pretty much every time.:smoke:

And I see no scientific reason why weed would somehow counter your gains, relaxing your muscles after a heavy workout isn't gonna cause losses lol.:D

Buddy probably wasn't sore because marijuana is a pretty good painkiller.

6. #6 alpharettatoker, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
    Ya cause weed just drains your muscles

Some of the biggest bullshit ive ever heard I been goin to gym over a year and I ALWAYS smoke after a workout and I have seen improvements in myself for suree you gota go everyday though doin 6/7 days a weeks taking one rest day

What it does do though for me at least is doesnt give me the same drive to workout compared to being sober I use my anger/stress to fuel my workout and its hard for me to be angry when im high haha

7. I've been going to the gym for a couple of months now going 3 times a week doing a whole body workout. I've noticed considerable gains already but my diet previous to the gym was relitively healthy and I had been playing a fair bit of football.

I vape pretty much daily to get a good solid sleep and relax my muscles.

More important than any of that is just eating a good 6 meals and really pushing heavy.

8. It does the exact opposite for me. When I'm high, I'm more relaxed and I'm able to work out a lot better than I do when I'm tense.

I've been smoking everyday that I've worked out for the last month or so. I notice that I don't feel tired or worn down at all after smoking and working out. My muscles don't feel fatigued and I don't feel a lot of the pain that a person would normally feel after working out. I've been noticing gains in strength and muscle, also.

I think weed is perfect for working out because of the way it relaxes you. Your body can do a lot more activity when at peace.

9. I think it works, for me at least.

When high, I can really focus better and visualize which muscles I'm working on, and really get into it.

Plus you get extremely hungry afterwards.

10. I don't think so, atleast I haven't noticed anything negative.

Good sleep is key to muscle building and timing before bed gives me a very restful nights sleep so thats how it helps me.

Some days I'm hurting so bad from lifting, I'll smoke a bowl instead of taking Advil or chemicals to ease the pain.

Only negative thing is sometimes ill smoke too much the night before and I'll be tired the next day but other than that I haven't experienced any negative aspects.

I just got back from the gym and I'm beat. I'm about to pack a bowl in a few moments.

11. Lifting and smoking go hand in hand, your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, I forget where I read it but a while ago I read about how it can actually hlep with recover by relaxing the muscle fibers so they can heal better, also any lifter knows lots of food equals gains, smoke, eat healthy and lift and you'll be good. Just don't eat shit. Eat healthy.

12. [​IMG]

Do you think Joe Rogan has a problem of smoking weed and losing his gains from a workout?

13. nothing like a good smoke & shower after a workout session