ska music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Five By Five, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone still listen to it, or am I the only one?

If so, what bands do you absolutely love? I'm always addicted to streetlight manifesto, reel big fish, less than jake and big d and the kids table.

2. Operation Ivy blows the doors off most other ska bands, because they were the innovators. Too bad they were only around two years.

3. Operation ivy was pretty dope. New Town was a fun song.

RBF was the first ska band I heard and fell in love with. So much fun seeing them live. Streetlight, Big D, Less than Jake, Toasters, Mustard Plug, mighty mighty bostones, plus a small collection of local music ska bands in my area. I miss my ska days. Used to even play trumpet in a lil ska band.

4. It's funny you mention "New Town". The OP Ivy song's called "Bad Town", but The Slits did a great song called "New Town". I'd check it out if you're into reggae/dub mixed with punk.

5. It seemed like for awhile everybody listened to it and then they realized it sucked, I'm waiting for the same thing to happen to dubstep

6. I'm not so sure dubstep will go away. EDM seems to be the new generation of popular music. You can count my ass out though, I'm not interested in dance music.

7. Oh wow I remember when Ska was the shittttt. If you didn't listen to it you were a closeminded mainstream following loserrrrrr

8. Never heard of streetlight, but the other bands you listed is POP, not ska.

I believe ska died in the 50's?

Hepcats is probably one of the few legit ska bands around.

9. does this count:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RNmm2Vdims]Prince Buster Take It Easy - YouTube[/ame]

10. operation ivy innovators ???

real innovators are-

prince buster, laurel aiken, skatalites, judge dread, wailing wailers, etc etc.
    then the punk ska revival came 15 years later with the specials, madness, english beat, bad manners, selector, etc etc.. check out the roots & all who came before & opened the doors...

11. [quote name='"MaxAmmo"']

Never heard of streetlight, but the other bands you listed is POP, not ska.

I believe ska died in the 50's?

Hepcats is probably one of the few legit ska bands around.[/quote]

Streetlight manifesto. And theyre 3rd wave ska. More pop than traditional ska, but its still ska none the less. Op brought up 3rd wave ska bands anyways, just attributing some bands i enjoy.

12. Ska came in waves.

You're thinking of first wave ska.

I was more into late 2nd wave and early 3rd wave.

13. While I've experienced every wave that ska has to offer, I'll always stick to what MY roots are, and that's third wave. I even have a less than jake tattoo that i got in high school :eek:

14. HELL YEAH MADNESS. lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIacAO4Ttyk]Madness:House of Fun - YouTube[/ame]

15. Ska is one of my favorite genres
    But you guys already mentioned all of my favorite bands

16. That certainly doesn't make you any less awesome.

17. Love ska, great to listen to stoned

18. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUCjJphE-0]Superman - Goldfinger - YouTube[/ame]
    Pretty sure youve all heard that ^^
    they have more ska-ry stuff but i love the song

Love less than jake as well