Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Best way to light that bowl

• Please log in to reply

SIRSOG

SIRSOG

High

• 33,088 posts

Guest_dmvthc_*

Guest_dmvthc_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

A magnifying glass and the Sun, man. Doesn't get much cleaner than that.

I agree, a magnifying glass and the sun would be cleaner than hemp wick, but hemp wick would still be cleaner than butane. Course it's not going to be as clean as a rod or an iron. But I posted the hemp wick review in case people were in the market for a cheaper alternative to butane. Not to say it's the best over an iron or a rod.

Something New

Something New

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,187 posts
just a regular lighter, cheap, easy to come by, don't care if someone steals them, etc.

Ill use either some cheap walmart brand call scipo or something, comes 8 lighters for 2.10$ lol.

Either those or bic's.

SIRSOG

SIRSOG

High

• 33,088 posts

Guest_dmvthc_*

Guest_dmvthc_*

yea butane is no good haha, combusted solvents are never fun

:hello: glad you agree. I mean, hemp wick is approved by the American Lung Association. It's cheaper than a rod or an iron. If you smoke everyday, why not smoke with something a little healthier for you? But that's just me.

SIRSOG

SIRSOG

High

• 33,088 posts

Guest_dmvthc_*

Guest_dmvthc_*

Well, the rod and iron would rank just BARELY above hempwick just due to using a completely "combustionless" producing heat source, but hemp wick is hardly producing shit, but there is still combustion in the heat source (not combustion of weed, thats obviously the goal hahah, but i mean the iron and rod produce no by products)

yeah its not completely combustionless but it doesnt get as hot as butane. i still think that solar sparking would be the best way of lighting..I've never tried it but logically thinking... it would be the healthiest... right?

SIRSOG

SIRSOG

High

• 33,088 posts

hippie4u

hippie4u

Professional

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,298 posts
Is the guy with a broke bowl seriously talking about how clean hemp wick is. I know that bowl is thick but i would never apply heat to a cracked area. Glass shards every where. Anyway hemp wicks cool till you can get an iron or glow rod. After 6 months of using my hakko wick taste like soot. Its like sickly sweet. The iron dosent havent a flame and its more like a hot air vaporizer. I vape my bong bowls then hold the iron alittle closer and burn the rest. Its like using my weed twice
Also that damn wax gets everywhere on my pipe from wick. There fooling people listing only 2 ingredients. You get soot, carbon, and abunch of other stuff.

Guest_Heosphoros_*

Guest_Heosphoros_*

Well, the rod and iron would rank just BARELY above hempwick just due to using a completely "combustionless" producing heat source, but hemp wick is hardly producing shit, but there is still combustion in the heat source (not combustion of weed, thats obviously the goal hahah, but i mean the iron and rod produce no by products)

I dono. I used to only use hempwick, and now that I have both a rod and iron, they are miles apart. I notice more of a difference from wick to iron than I do from bic to wick.

Not only in terms of taste, but in terms of volume of smoke, I swear I get like 150% what I would with hemp.

hippie4u

hippie4u

Professional

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,298 posts
People with wick You all know how dirty and nasty that stuff is. Getting wax in my floor, hold that burning wick under a glass plate. Soot everywhere. Thats what cuases cancer. Carbon. Hell a torch is safer. No Soot.

zippo
bic
wick
torch
hakko/sun/wand/iron

Guest_dmvthc_*

Guest_dmvthc_*

People with wick You all know how dirty and nasty that stuff is. Getting wax in my floor, hold that burning wick under a glass plate. Soot everywhere. Thats what cuases cancer. Carbon. Hell a torch is safer. No Soot.

zippo
bic
wick
torch
hakko/sun/wand/iron

I dont think its the wick that's at fault here.... i think that's a user error...

"From a chemist point of view though butane "should" be safe. When you burn butane the reaction looks like this.

2 C4H10 + 13 O2 -> 8 CO2 + 10 H2O

This means that the by-products of PURE butane are nothing but water and CO2 which themselves are obviously safe. BUT you can't assume the the butane is pure. Butane is derived from petroleum and distilled. Much like distilling alcohol it never comes out completely pure. So there are bi-products in the butane. Which could be harmful.

An additional thing that draws concert for me are the pyrophoric flints in the lighters, they are made of mixed metals, iron alloys, and rare earths, mainly cerium, neodymium, and praseodymium.

Go to youtube and look up a time lapse for a lighter lighting.

As far as hemp wick goes. Beeswax is one of the purest natural materials on the planet. If you really think about it you are already smoking pot. What makes smoke a hemp sting dipped in a natural wax harmful?

I say smoke hemp wick.

As far as the taste goes I didn't notice much of a difference, that is until I ran out of hemp wick and went back to the lighter. The smoke was much harsher. That was years ago and I have not used a lighter since."

Bkcarlito

Bkcarlito

Live life to the fullest!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 120 posts
There are several different answers for this question really. I use a bic lighter. But there are others that will tell ya to use a hemp wick as it's not as harmful. It's your choice really.

Guest_Heosphoros_*

Guest_Heosphoros_*

zippo
bic
wick
torch
hakko/sun/wand/iron

The post above me says it. I'm not sure I disagree with your order (except maybe switching wick and torch), but wick certainly isn't causing cancer, and I used it for ages and it wasn't really all that nasty. Sure there was some soot, but if you're getting wax on your floor and having the problems you say you're having then you have shitty wick. I've used ital before and that stuff was gross, but humbolt is great. Nothing compared to an iron or rod though. I've yet to try solar toking though, I need a sunny day here soon.

Guest_dmvthc_*

Guest_dmvthc_*
I like humboldt a little better than beeline. But to each our own.

hippie4u

hippie4u

Professional

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,298 posts
Well thats why i was talking about a torch. I know about flints and dont like them for the reason you just described. Torch lighters usually have a elctro-ignition. Unreliable it may be but a electric spark is clean. and a 99% combustion of butane. Not like a sooty bic.
I know wick is safer than most lighters but look at all that wick you have flipnotiq. Thats gonna be in your lungs after awhile. Also you cant assume wick is clean either. There are byproducts too. imo for home use i like an iron. Just plug n go. Made safer with a microphone holder haha. On the go i use a torch becuase of the damn wind.

fukinriv2

fukinriv2

• Registered Upgraded
  • 302 posts
I use a BIC, but my favorite way to light it is with a magnifying glass

Guest_Heosphoros_*

Guest_Heosphoros_*

Well thats why i was talking about a torch. I know about flints and dont like them for the reason you just described. Torch lighters usually have a elctro-ignition. Unreliable it may be but a electric spark is clean. and a 100% combustion of flame. Not like a bic.
I know wick is safer than most lighters but look at all that wick you have flipnotiq. Thats gonna be in your lungs after awhile. Also you cant assume wick is clean either. There are byproducts too. imo for home use i like an iron. Just plug n go. Made safer with a microphone holder haha. On the go i use a torch becuase of the damn wind.

But why exactly is a torch better? I thought part of the reason wick and everything else was good is because it heated at a lower temperature, wouldn't a torch be the hottest item of the bunch? And wouldn't it still negatively effect the taste?

hippie4u

hippie4u

Professional

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,298 posts

But why exactly is a torch better? I thought part of the reason wick and everything else was good is because it heated at a lower temperature, wouldn't a torch be the hottest item of the bunch? And wouldn't it still negatively effect the taste?

Good question...im not sure. A torch looks cleaner (no soot). But what about what you cant see. And No im tired of people saying that torches get to hot. Hold it sideways and slowly lower it to your bowl. You will find the right distance. It just takes some butane and practice. 100% combustion of a torch flame dosent effect taste like a bic,, but most people dont use torches right. They light the whole bowl or hold the flame straight down and too close. Losing most thc

Edited by hippie4u, 16 December 2011 - 01:41 AM.

olylongbord11

olylongbord11

Pacific Northwest Smoker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,218 posts
Are you fucking retarded?

Do really not know how to set weed on fire? You need advice on how to smoke weed? This thread confuses the shit outta me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users