Mycorrhizae with tap water for cuttings

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jus_chillin, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I'm running two OG Kush cuttings planted in hydroton in a recirculating DWC system. At the time of transplant, one of the cuttings had visible roots growing out of its rockwool cube while the other cutting did not. The rooted cutting appears to be growing while the other cutting is not, so I am considering using Mycorrhizae fungi to assist with root growth/health.

I have samples of Orca (liquid Mycorrhizae fungi) and Great White (power Mycorrhizae fungi).

1. Which should I use in my system?
    2. Can the fungi be used with tap water?
    3. Can I apply the fungi by adding to my reservoir or is it best to apply directy onto the medium? (the reservoir pumps into drip lines on the two cuttings and drains back into the reservoir)

I am also using Root Excelurator.

2. I have a jar of Great White and I have attemped to use it one time in my DWC system. All I can say is it is going to make your PH jump up high on a daily basis. I used Carbo Load along with Great White. It gives the little microbes something to eat. I have sinced used it in soil and am having luck with it. I was told the PH jumps because of the poop they give off. Go ahead and try some Advanced Nutrient's B-52. That should get things going long nicely!
    Cheers!

3. What were your reservoir temperatures? I've read that the fungi can raise pH when water temps drop below 60F.

Did you use tap water?

4. I used filtered water that sits at about 71 degrees.

5. Theres a lot of debate on this one..ive been using myco for years and this run is the first plant ive ever had where I thought maybe it fucked up the ph..

6. If you are talking about using beneficial bacteria, my journal in my sig has a link to make a tea for hydro.

7. I use my tap water. Ppm 160's. I also got the Mycogrow (instead of the individual ones) combined with any EWC. My grow was saved by this and is thriving.

8. This doesn't sound right to me, I've read several responses of people (mostly everyone) who have followed the Heisenberg's tea recipe with huge success in DWC.

Running something like Great White in a water reservoir is the same thing as adding an aerated tea, except it is only a few species of bennies instead of the entire beneficial spectrum. In soil the bennies can live anywhere, in DWC they live on any porous surface, including the sides of the tub, all roots, airstones, anything they can stick with. Mostly they just keep dying in DWC though as there is not enough food, so they are added every so often to keep the most biologically diverse population of bennies.

Oh also with Great White, Roots Excelurator, etc... they get you to spend $$$ for their 'special formula' that doesn't really give you a better result than the tea.

9. As long as you make a tea and follow the instructions as I have, you will love the results.

Some shouldn't speak about that which they don't know about. Imo, of course.

10. Check your Tap water. If you have chlorine in the water when you add the Mycorrhizae then you are going to kill the beneficials. If you don't know if your water is chlorinated or not.. Then use distilled water.

11. [quote name='"fyrhazzrd"']Check your Tap water. If you have chlorine in the water when you add the Mycorrhizae then you are going to kill the beneficials. If you don't know if your water is chlorinated or not.. Then use distilled water.[/quote]

Far as I know, all tap is chlorinated. My recipe calls for me to leave out 2 days to cook. So maybe mine evaporates and my shit works. Check my journal. My gurls are beasts!

12. Yes, leaving it out for 24 hours will evaporate it if it is just Chlorine, however if it contains Chloramine it will not evaporate if you leave it out for a year. That's why I said to check the water before adding any beneficials to it.

13. [quote name='"fyrhazzrd"']

Yes, leaving it out for 24 hours will evaporate it if it is just Chlorine, however if it contains Chloramine it will not evaporate if you leave it out for a year. That's why I said to check the water before adding any beneficials to it.[/quote]

Ahhh, u are smart. I like that about you.

14. When I have more time, I will read through each of the resources you have all provided.

In the meantime, I found the DWP's water quality report for my city if anyone is interested in checking it out. Can anyone determine from this report if it seems like there is too much chlorine or other additives that are detrimental to Mycorrhizae?

The report is located at: LADWP: Annual Water Quality Report. Click on the link "2010 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report – English"

Really appreciate all the input fellas.

15. It looks to me that you will need to have your tap water tested for chloramine. On page 8 it says that your municipal is converting the tap water you receive to chloramine. While the process will take several years to complete, individual residences can receive the new process at any time.

My city water uses Chloramine and I'm not happy about it. Because they want to cheap out and use chlramine. I have to buy special filters and hope the chloramine levels get reduced enough to not kill my beneficials.

16. Use distilled or filtered water, a bit of myco is good for cuttings. It's a fungus, not a bacteria, it does not require a sugar to feed on in your nutes.

17. How do you know what concentrations will kill the beneficials? I'm not busting your chops, it is a legitimate question that I have. As we all know beneficials are not cheap supplements and I hate to just throw all that money away by killing them. And some municipals use a higher concentration than others. For example with my tap water you can actually smell the chlorine in it; whereas my aunts tap water you cannot.

18. Thank you for that. The funny thing is that I emailed Humboldt about the warning they had on their label regarding chlorinated water, and they said it would kill the beneficials. That's why I was skeptical.