Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What was the quality/availability of marijuana in the 1960s, 70s and 80s?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by jkrane, May 26, 2006.

1. My uncle was tellin me that he used to buy zips for $20. I wish that were still the case, damn.

2. on average the bud of todayt is of better quality than of the 70s & 80s, however, the best shit I ever smoked was in 81. one hit and i lost the next 4 hrs. just absolutely the best I ever smoked I tried it the next day same results just sucked I could only get an ounce. Cost 80 bucks...shit like that would cost me 250 or better today

3. In the 60s, you could get an ounce for $25 and it was just so much more easily available, along with other drugs. Though I can't really tell the difference between the quality then and today. 

What I especially loved about this time, at least in retrospect, was that nobody really cared. You could smoke a joint or a do a line of coke in public and the police didn't give a shit. Before the War on Drugs and all the propaganda, there was no "research" done about the harmful effects of marijuana or any other drug for that matter, so people didn't really scrutinize you and the cops didn't go out of their way to put you in jail. All they did really was give you the reputation of being some crazy hippie kid or whatever. Almost everyone that I knew personally was trying pot.....  and most people just minded their own business. 

In 1967 when I lived in New York, there used to be peddlers at Tompkins Square Park who would carry around these big cardboard boxes of just about every drug you could think of, yelling to the top of their lungs: "Uppers! Downers! Acid! Pot!" Man I miss those days :smoke:

4. I'll break it down for you. Back then they smoked what would be considered mids today. It was cheaper, but everything has gone up in price since then. They had tubes but most people smoked joints. And it was just as easy to get weed then it is now, but most people copped more because it took more to get high.

5. They had their dank home grown shit still. Dank existed, but it was more in the ranges of 12-15% THC whereas dank now can be upwards of 25%

6. well, well, well, sound like a lot of peeps don't know a whole lot about those good old days. Is there a generation gap? I think so.
    The whole scene was different. If you weren't there there's no way to explain it.
    Ounces= $15 $20 lbs. $100 and for an ounce of hash. That was my favorite. It was so good. Kilos $250. 1/4 oz. or nickel bag $5 1/2 $10.

7. Well well well, sounds like someone loves to revive really old threads.

8. I smoked my first weed in '85.
    Stuff I used to get back then usually contained some stems and seeds. It just seemed like it was accepted back then. I can remember people referring to low-quality weed as having excessive "shake", which in my mind was basically loose-leaf, stems, and seeds. The "shake" would far outweigh the actual buds.
    Price back then wasn't much cheaper. I remember quarters, half-o's, and oz.'s. Eighths were rare. A quarter back then was almost always offered for $40. Not sure about half-o's and oz.'s because I was never financially able to buy that much at one time.
    The potency was nowhere near the level of today's weed, in my opinion. I remember smoking whole joints by myself I the 1980's and early 90's. These days I rarely toke over 3 hits at one time from a joint.