Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What was the quality/availability of marijuana in the 1960s, 70s and 80s?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by jkrane, May 26, 2006.

1. Look, maybe the weed in the certain areas in the usa is higher quality then it was 20-30 years ago, but seriously, its a fricken plant.
    We havn't had some huge chemical break-through that makes our buds really potent.

I believe ever since there has been humans, there has been high quality herb following close behind =)

2. i dont know we never used them!!! hahaha:smoking:

3. Well i agree that the amount of information on cultivation has grown immensely since then..And i'm not sure the Aztecs or Mayans had Bubbleberry :p

4. i have no idea. it didnt say what it was called... i wish i had the guts to ask my dad how much he paid lol. i know he probably smoked back then (was in high school from 67-71), but if i ask he'll probably be like "why have you started smoking!"... oh well.

5. I read that same book. the picture of the brick, even if it was shwagg, still made my mouth water. if anyone want to read a cool book on hippies that is the book.

6. outdoor has probably always been about the same however there are a lot more strains out there now bred for certain characteristics like yield and taste. the potency of outdoor was the same back then i think, it's the indoor that has changed the landscape of pot growing forever. back then florescent lights were used indoors and more bud was grown outdoor, the lights on the market today are much much better and so is knowledge so there's a lot more dank on the market today with better genetics so i think it has improved but not in a black and white sort of way it's just different. has anyone seen in a high times they had pics of the bud of 60s 70s 80s and 90s and the newer ones do look sooo much better so idk i wasn't around then either...

7. You gotta remembert, a gallon of gas also cost 60 cents.

Inflation makes $10 in 1970 worth $50 in 2006

8. I was talking to my dad and he said when he grew up in the 60s a ounce was 10$ .

9. yo this guy was tellin me a 4 finger ounce (put 4 fingers up to the bag fill it up to the 4th finger) would be 20$ when he was dealin.. thats phat

10. ^^

i heard that.

that is so awesome, that's such an unfathomable amount of bud for that price today.

11. i know an old dealer and b4 he was busted, he was selling O's for like 40-50, depending on the grade....lol wen he got busted he had 2 choices, get his ass pounded daily for 4 years in prison or go to vietnam, guess what he chose....yea and now hes cool as hell, mass war stories and mass bong smoking, oldies rule!

btw possibly getting a o for 200 in the burbs of chicago, that is a good friggen price, i hope its good shit. ill post pix asap

12. yeah my mom was telling me about the finger bags she said thats how they used to buy them but she only used to get the one finger or two finger bags which were $5 and $10 dollars she went to school from 69-72

13. I was talking to my uncle's friend and he was saying they would get ridiculous amounts for very cheap. All of it was grown indoors as well. They would rent a house with a pool in a nice neighborhood and cut off the pool to cover the energy cost used when they grew it all in the house. All of the seeds came from Africa for his dealer. This was all in Texas in the '70s

14. a guy that i work with who is 50 yrs old always talks with me bout smokin. hes an ex head from the 60s and early 70s and i asked him that question after i saw it here and he said that there was bomb ass nugs like purple haze and acopulco gold and that but kinda hard to come by. the majority was sticks seeds and a little bud. ppl have gotten smarter thru the years and learned to cross more potent strains

15. a guy i work with who was in his teens in the 70's told me that you could get a 4 finger lid for 15 bucks. a pound for 120 or so.
    that's fuckin CHEAP!!

16. I started smoking back in summer of 67' and back then an ounce was called a lid, don't know why?
    The weed mainly came from Mexico and it could have seeds, stems and even rat shit in the lid's. Usually, you would smoke a joint and look through all the bags and pick one out for $10.00.
    When I got back from Vietnam in Aug. 1971 the price had gone up to $20.00 for a lid.

k9

17. I think the weed today is stronger because all the people from the old days can still get ripped off weed. If theyv been smoking high quality buds for 20-30 years, dontcha think their resistance would kick in ?

I sorta beleive that if u smoke the same potency weed throught your life you will be affected by it less and less to the point wherre you dont catch a buzz anymore.

Then again being a grower potency is not only on the strain, its how its grown, which goes to question how trhe fuck do they test %% in THC anyway?? Why do seed banks tell us a %% on the strain, when all of us growers know we can get a higher percentage in the main cola, rather than a old bushey plant with lots of bud sites.

18. You guys gotta be kidding me. Weed is MUCH better today than it was 30-40 years ago. Theres a lot of $$$ in it now so people are spending more to make it better. Its much easier to get dank now that before because only potheads back in the day have dank but now its MASS GROWN so everyone can have it.

19. There most definetely was weed just as potent as today's back in the 60's. I've personally grown out enough landrace strains and old classics like Acapulco Gold, Columbian and Chocolate Thai given to me by older people who were around then and kept a bunch of seeds in a solid environment. The buds knocked me on my behind like any other properly grown strain would. My father has also told me a lot about the crazy afghani hash they used to get, sometimes it still comes around today but its extremely expensive nowadays.