Is there a natural way to kill fungus nat larvae

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BeZtoken, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Well not trying to be an asshole, but my problem was fungus gant. I used that Gognat shit, and it stressed my plants out. I was trying to get suggestions on what to do man. Just looking for some help, cause I love my girls, ya know.

2. here yah go, this is your solution, have some stick traps (not ones covered in pesticide but just the ones with sticky substance on them) for the adults near the plants, create an AACT (actively aerated compost tea), about 1 hours before you plan on using watering add a nematode specie(s) the eats fungus nat larvae, water the plant, wait 30 minutes, cover soil surface with a thin layer of Diatonomous Earth and try to prolong your next watering as long as possible, this should eradicate your problem within a week. After you add water the DE will be rendered useless, a few nats may survive if your room is not kept super clean and if u still see some flying around when u go to water, just add a bit more DE 30 minutes after watering and as long as you keep a clean room they will have nowhere they can safely reproduce/lay eggs.

3. Thanks man, i appreciate it.

4. [quote name='"lilhen2003"']Well not trying to be an asshole, but my problem was fungus gant. I used that Gognat shit, and it stressed my plants out. I was trying to get suggestions on what to do man. Just looking for some help, cause I love my girls, ya know.[/quote]

Yeah I can dig it bro. And I hope it works out for you, I wasn't trying to be an ass either just thought you would receive more help in a new thread. Idk I say give it a couple days for them to recover, see what happens? Transplanting in flower tho? I would never do. That's just me. I can't see how the gnats would be more stressful then a mid flower transplant. I mean I had a serious infestation and I can't see any real negative effects on buds.

BeZ...V

5. Yeah, I would never during flower either, but they were in veg, so justwaiting to see if the rooting system improves after the transplant. I have to say tho, those little fuckers ate every one of my Northern Lights seedlings. I mean all the way to the top of the soil, lmao. They musta loved the lights as much as I do

6. Oh sorry I must've read it wrong. They actually ate all the roots? That's something I didn't think could happen. Good luck.

BeZ...V

7. Yeah tell me bout it. I go in before sunset, and blow on them call'em by name ( for natural CO2, call it blowing kisses). I went in one night, and my lights seedling fell over lmao. I was hysterical, cause i seen the gnats flying around, but just thought of them as a nuisance. I checked the soil and seen little shinny bugs crawling just below the surface, and then found no roots, but lotsof larvae. Did some research, and realized what was going on. I was using mir gro organic soil.

8. If I'm using coco can I use the DIY Clear Rez to kill the larvae? Liek calcium hypochlorite? It's really bad right now I need to kill them off quick.

Just want to know if anyone else has used this solution before...

Happy Growing ~23

9. Hey Bez, thanks for all the help man. Fungus gnat completely irradicated. All the adults are sticking to the ol fly strip, and no signs of larvae. It's a blessing, and the girls are starting to turn greener and smell better than they ever have. Thanks again man. Oh there was one thing i did. I used a pot of soil as a trap. Soaked it down with water, and let them just fly all over it. Once i noticed they werent flying round and sticking on the strip, I loaded it down with a garden pesticide with pyrethrin, and neem oil. It worked awesomely

10. lilhen that's cool I'm glad its going good for ya. It seems my problem is all but solved to, I hope. I put new traps down and there staying clean anyway.

BeZ...V

11. Yeah, the only concern ihave now, is the new soil i got has a very high water retention. I'm keeping a close eye on it. I take a screwdrive and brush the top of the soil back and use a magnifying glass to look for larvae and or hatched adults. So far nothing. Good to hear your traps are staying clean. Maybe I'll put a new one in at 9:00 sunrise and inspect it tomorrow. Good luck man, and thanks again.

12. #52 ForbinsAscent, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    Don't get too optimistic. the gnats larva are really resilient despite any insecticides. I think the BT/neem mix is the best, but it takes weeks of 'gnat free' plants before I'd be sure they're dead. unfortunately I don't have the exact figure for the larva's lifespan but I do know it's way too long.

edit- you can stick a slice of potato into the surface, after a few days remove it. The gnats larva will be all over it if they are still in your dirt.

13. LOL, I know whatcha mean. I still like to be some what optimistic though. Them little bastards can be tough to get rid of, and were really tough on my northern lights seedlings, LOL. They absolutely love the lights

14. I pulled down my flower room, with a resolution to not go prepetual by cutting my veg plants back for a month, I need to get some things in order before bloom. I use a 'bat wing' hood and the gnats fly right into the bulb. it (400 mh 3k) was covered in charred remains of gnats. I am definitely going to avoid starting bloom (let alone transplant into a larger container) if they aren't totally annihilated. this also made trimming take much longer and frustrating.

15. This was recommend to me on another thread Safer Caterpillar Killer Concentrate, 8 oz by Safer - 8 oz - Pest & Disease Control - Worm's Way
    I've heard alotta good things from different gardners bout this line of products. I haven't tried it, but if they appear again, most deffinently will. Good Luck with your battle Strain.

16. Thank you Lil, I will definitely look into that at the hydro store tomorrow. By a stroke of luck I am able to get there 2 days early, and am going to begin the second wave of attack tomorrow. I will either be going with the Safer or the Gnatrol. Thank you again and may all of us gnat warriors be successful in our ventures.

Happy Growing ~23

17. #57 lilhen2003, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011

Good luck with your battle Strain. Bez has some good advice to show them lil bastards you mean busines, lol. I think I'm gonna try it

18. Neem meal = end of gnat larvae problems.

/Thread

19. At the hydro store yesterday, the shopkeeper suggested to me that I use a GenHydro product known as Azamax. It's 100% vegetable based and entirely systemic. Meaning it's safe and fully effective. I was told that this product absolutely wreaks havoc on the life cycle of the larvae, adults, and any other bug floating around your system. I applied it yesterday as a coco drench using a concentration of 3oz per 6 gallons of water. I also placed multiple sticky traps around the tent and spots in the room. I have already seen a reduction in population and less are flying around. This is no exaggeration.

The fact that this product is vegetable based and that it says it's safe for use on ornamentals AND food crops has me sold already, but on top of that it is trippy to watch when you add it to your solution lol. It goes from vegetable oil consistency and color to turning your whole solution bright pink. It's something you have to see to believe!

Anyways I will report back next application to let you guys know how it worked, should be around next wednesday.

Good luck to all with infestations and insect issues, may you win your battles naturally and safely. Happy Growing ~23

20. Stankie's advice should be the rule of law. Azamax only containes 1/6 of the compounds found to be toxic to insects (studies mostly out of India if you like to look into it).

So azamax is 6 times more 'concentrated' AKA 1/6 of the strength of Neem.

I agree ahimsa's neem cake top dressed (along with DTE that's a finer powder) and mixed with some crab meal really fucks these gnats up. Soak em down with spinosad to deliver some neural damage in addition the neem cutting off their food/sex functions

the damaged pupa/adult gnat will crawl out of the medium and you will see them marching around in deformed rankes. at this point i vacuum them out of the air to keep them from reproducing.