I'm Emo

Discussion in 'General' started by Rasta_Man, May 18, 2006.

1. http://www.break.com/index/emokid.html

Hahaha.

I still don't get this emo thing. I'm just glad they don't smoke reefer.

I see kids like this swarming around suburbia and i just wanna run after them. What happened to all the 50-cent wannabes? Start putting the smackdown on these emo-bitches.

2. HAHA your killing me. Have you ever been in the mall and felt like the vampires would bite you?

3. I don't get it either. I saw this guitarist put them in their place though at a concert.

Guitarist:"and what the fuck is up with these emo kids. I just don't get it, stop complaining that daddy won't give you the car this weekend and take off all that black shit you're wearing"

This one kid in the row infront of me, clearly emo, flipped his shit, started yelling at the guy but everyone else was cheering so loud you couldn't hear anything.

4. Have you ever been in the mall and felt like the vampires would bite you

thats funny as shit dude, there creepy but you know if you hit one of those bitches they'd be out cause there all pussies,

"how many emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb"

i don't know they'd rather sit in the dark and cut their wrists

5. oh God i can't tell you enough how happy i am to be older than the popular culture today! I don't need to put up with the latests fads, i just need to get older and crankier. I love it.

6. i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself

7. Ahahahahaha that's hilarious, rep worthy in fact.

8. The only thing I really hate more than emo kids are people that think they are cool by bashing emo kids. Its been done a million times before and its really not funny anymore, if it even was in the first place.

9. Not me, I think it's hilarious.

I'm old, i'm allowed to mock youth culture.

10. i'm 18 and live with this youth culture and it fucking sucks!

i go to school with them, am labeled with them, and occasionally i will have to chill with them.

example, someone turns to me in class and says, "Are you going to the concert?"
    "What concert?" - me
    "Fallout Boy, All American Rejects, and..(insert name that would follow, but crappy band none the less."
    "......." - me dumbstruck that he would even think that i would want to see those bands play, let alone listen to them in my free time.

11. I honestly don't know how emo bands live with themselves, knowing that their music is not only unhelpful (for teens dealing with their issues) but actually making things worse with their incredibly depressing lyrics. They know that many of these kids are borderline suicidal (at least the ones not grasping for attention) but still put out their brand of trash to make money. Emo kills, stop the killing.

12. HAHA hilarious!

i too, just wasn't made for these times haha

13. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thats fucking great

14. hahahaha! Yes, very funny.

15. LMAO

When I grow up I want to be like Rasta_Man

I really dont get it either... Its so confusing. I dont get any of those stereotypical fad things.. I dont know abotu the rest of America (or the world), but I'm quite content being who I am. I'm not afraid of that.

These last few months of highschool, I've really started to see that... I just walk down the halls (usually baked) and I see all these kids acting... BEcuase that's really what it is. Its just an act.

I keep trying to picture these people in 5.. 10.. 20 years.. Will they be normal adults? WIll they grow out?

16. I really hate when ignorant people run their mouths... I'm pretty sick of hearing that word used so often and improperly. Yes, there a bunch of trendy fucking idiots that are buying into the new fad, but that's just what they are... trendy idiots... not "emo." And the music these kids are into is not even close to the real genre of music. All the music that is associated with the word emo in mainstream pop culture is almost entirely pop punk and indie pop/rock bands, and the whole goth fashion crap is bullshit and has nothing to do with it. I can understand making fun of all the little hot topic poster boys... but other than that, you all should really quit hating on things you know nothing about. You're just lumping a huge group of people who could not have any similar interests together just because they look somewhat similar. Pretty ridiculous.

I'm sure a lot of people could talk shit about all of your subcultures too. The angsty, depressed stoner teens that listen to nu-metal. The fake ass wannabe-gangster spoiled surbaban kids (white, black, hispanic, whatever) that listen to shitty club rap about girls, money, and jewelry. The "let's-get-wasted-bro!" moron jocks and frat boys. The stoner skater pop-punk/skate punk crowd that think they're hard and hate the government, but know nothing about politics or real music... The 16-18 year old classic rock fanatics that know nothing about music and won't live in the present, doing nothing but getting high and listening to pink floyd and playing fantasy videogames... I could go on and on. There are TONS of subcultures with equally ridiculous trends and shitty tastes in music. Why not make threads about all of them?

Oh, and straight-edge was a term that originally came from the hardcore skate punk community... specifically the band minor threat. It has nothing to do with emo. It was about keeping your body and mind healthy. Some members of the hardcore community and emo community believe in these values, and many do not.

And, you "adults"... all of you had your own fads and stereotypes in your times too. I doubt any of you were just yourselves. You all dressed like your peers. You were all into the same shit as your friends. Your subcultures may not have been as divided or large as all of the subcultures of today, but they still existed.

Now that that's been covered, I'll go on to what the post was really about:

Education on [real] emo:
    Most likely few of you know what the genre actually is or where it came from. All of the things labeled "emo" and "screamo" and all of that by guitar magazines, mtv, etc. are completely false. It's just a bunch of ignorant people that spread out words for a new trend, not knowing that these words already existed as names of real genres, which are very dissimilar to all of the shitty mtv shaggy hair boy bands you see. All of those bands are nothing but pop-rock and pop-punk acts. Just as the fake thug club rap is not real hip hop, all of the pre-teen hot topic nu-metal is not real metal, and the poppy indie dance bands do not represent indie scene as a whole. The fact is the majority of the population is completely ignorant of what the true genre is. It is very much an intense and underground style of music.

Basically, the original emo genre is dead and has been dead for over 10 years. The screamo genre is similar but evolved to become much more aggressive, and is really the only true "emo" that exists today. These bands are almost all extremely underground, very talented, and very aggressive. The music often has a strong thrash influence and can be so intense that it sometimes borders on grind, but with more emphasis on melody and beauty. Popular modern emo/screamo bands include:
    Orchid
    City of Caterpillar
    Raein
    Funeral Diner
    Envy
    Saetia
    Hot Cross
    Circle Takes The Square
    Amanda Woodward
    Ampere
    The Assistant
    Yaphet Kotto
    Yage
    Pg. 99
    etc.

A huge list can be found here: http://www.emolinks.net/index.php?page=links

More information below:
    Emo (music)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    <table class="toccolours" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 1em 1em; float: right; width: 20em; clear: right;" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="crimson">Emo</th> </tr> <tr> <th style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" align="left" valign="top">Stylistic origins:</th> <td style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" valign="top">hardcore punk, indie rock</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" align="left" valign="top">Cultural origins:</th> <td style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" valign="top">mid 1980s Washington, DC</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" align="left" valign="top">Typical instruments:</th> <td style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" valign="top">Guitar - Bass - Drums - Synthesizer</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" align="left" valign="top">Mainstream popularity:</th> <td style="border-bottom: 1px solid gray;" valign="top"><small>Sporadically through the 1980s and '90s, growing in the early 2000s</small></td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="crimson" valign="top">Subgenres</th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"><small>Emocore - Hardcore emo - Emo violence - Screamo - Emotional metalcore</small></td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="crimson" valign="top">Fusion genres</th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"><small>Post-hardcore</small></td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="crimson" valign="top">Regional scenes</th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"><small>Midwestern emo</small></td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="crimson" valign="top">Other topics</th> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"><small>List of emo groups - Timeline of alternative rock</small></td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <dl> <dd>This article deals with the genre of music. For other uses, see Emo (disambiguation).</dd> </dl> Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Since its inception, emo has come to describe several independent variations, linked loosely but with common ancestry. As such, use of the term (and which musicians should be so classified) has been the subject of much debate.
    In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s Washington, DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and literally emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and, slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Screamo is a musical genre which evolved from emo, more specifically hardcore emo in the early 1990s. Characteristic of the genre are harcore screaming vocals and fast, harmonized guitars. Breakdowns in screamo songs are often slower and more melodic than in other genres, less of a "beatdown" and more an opportunity for introspection (and rest for the musicians). Other than that, it is fairly hard to classify (particularly since the rule about screaming vocals is bent fairly often). It is sometimes also mistakenly referred to as emo violence, which is closely related (although bands in both genres borrow ideas from each other). Lyrically, screamo topics are often times introspective, although it is not uncommon to see a screamo band with political lyrics. Most screamo songs use imagery and metaphors to communicate lost love or failed friendships.

History

In California in the early 1990s, Gravity Records from San Diego released many defining records of this style. Significant Emo bands from this time include Heroin, Angel Hair, Antioch Arrow, Universal Order of Armageddon, Swing Kids, and Mohinder. In the New York/New Jersey era, bands such as Native Nod, Merel, 1.6 Band, Rye Coalition and Rorschach were feeling the same impulse. The labels Gern Blandsten Records and Troubleman Records released many of the influential records from that region and era. Many of these bands were involved with the ABC No Rio club scene in New York, itself a response to the violence and stagnation in the scene and with the bands that played at CBGBs, the only other small venue for hardcore in New York at the time.

Many "Screamo" bands have broken up but in the late 90s and early 2000s, another wave of Screamo bands began. But even then, many of these new bands have already broken up. These include bands such as the highly influential Saetia, Envy, Pg. 99, Orchid, and City of Caterpillar.
    Despite how short-lived most recent screamo bands are, the underground screamo scene is still very large and is thriving throughout Europe and the United States.

17. lol the sad thing is...i've smoked with an emo kid b4...god the kid is so dam funny to watch cuz he has like no idea wth he is doin... he dresses so lame to omg. hhaha anyway ya im high as fuck..ssoooo :wave:

18. LOLZ OMGZZZ

idiot.

19. You get a +rep for being inside my head. I can not even begin to describe how true that is. I've always been my own self, I've always worn whatever clothes I want (which has no distinguished subculture) it's just shit that looks decent on me, typically black shorts, or tan shorts with a black, blue, or green shirt, with my Jerusalem Cruisers; which are i guess those preppy sandles. My friend's call them Jerusalem Cruisers because it looks like what Jesus wears. rofl. And all my friends for the most part have been the same way, we just wear what we want, act want we want.

But then when I was in High School I would get up and walk around and just look at the groups it was amazing. Looking at the gothic kids, fucking irritated me. Just like TheFxckingHero ranted about today's emo kids, I had the same rant about these gothic kids. THEY DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT GOTHIC IS. And then you observe them, and their act, it makes me sick. I hate acts. Another thing, my brother said this once when we were hanging out with our cousins and we had nothing to do, "Want to go hang out at Starbucks?" wtf, none of us had money for coffee, so why hang out at starbucks? It was an image thing to him. It frustrates me, why can't people be who they are. I've become so cynical about acts, that i can spot them a million miles away. And it literally makes me disgusted by the person. Hot Topic i think is the worst fad of them all. Hot Topic is the trendy store for the kids who are anti-Trendy. They try to act like they are going against the flow of society, FUCK YOU, YOU'RE GOING WITH THE FLOW OF SOCIETY. You're store is right next to Abercrombie and Fitch, the store that the Hot Topic crowd bitches about being trendy. Hot Topic is pre-packaged trend. I can not even go in that store without having my poser meter explode.

Please people, be yourselves.

Goddamn, this post doesn't even begin to describe how cynical I have become about these acts.