Books, That Changed Affected Your Life?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by 5cooby Doo, Nov 7, 2011.

1. I almost didnt post this as it seems really... strange. The bridge to Terabithia when i was age 9-10. When the girl died at the end it taught me about life and death at a very early age. It took me completely off guard. It changed my views on life the most I guess by default.

2. Green eggs an ham

3. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

4. Captain Underpants

5. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins....nuff' said.

6. Into the wild.
    A few jack London books.
    Me and my likker lol

7. [quote name='"killraven"']I wouldn't say it changed my life, but I read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and I could relate so closely to it. It was like my highschool experience with a couple of variations.[/quote]

Amazing book. I hope the movie is as good.

8. Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. Its the only book I have ever read that I can truthfully say changed my outlook on life

9. John Pilger's "Freedom Next Time" changed my entire outlook on politics and democracy.

Before reading that book I was generally optimistic, thought the governments of the world were pure. Since reading it I'm much, much more cynical and honestly pretty depressed at the state of the world. Especially the Chagos Islands conspiracy (and it's not a theory either).

Such is the price of knowledge.

10. I have two books that impacted me the most when in 7th grade.

The Giver was most influential quick read but is amazing.

Enders Game is another.

11. "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Alborn.

It's short and it's simple, but it has extremely powerful messages. I highly recommend it.

12. The Kuma Satra

13. "Narcissus and Goldmund" by Herman Hesse

14. he is indeed a wonderful author.

15. All of Dave Pelzer books. A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave, and so on.

16. [​IMG]

Good Omens is not, like, a serious book but it had a really big influence on my personal development. Got me into a bunch of really solid satirical and whimsical fantasy that has been a big part of my life. Also, shit's hilarious. If you haven't read this book, do yourself a favor and read it.

[​IMG]
    And this is the one that made me think. It's this exquisite collection of facts about the artistic mind that are arranged to tell a really devastating narrative. It's got facts about all of my favorite composers and artists and scientists (Claude Monet had this incredible love of the sea, Johannes Brahms had blue eyes, Rembrandt was barely literate...). I don't know, it's so beautiful and really moving. Go, read it.

17. I really like reading Kerouac, I definitely recommend On The Road by him. Very cool book where he describes his trip around the U.S. in the 1960's, documenting the characters he met and it really looks into the perspective of a young adult learning new things about himself through his interactions with others. Plus Kerouac is a brilliant writer.

18. Demon Haunted World (Science as a candle in the dark) By Carl Sagan
    It is about science as our most important tool for discovery and the harm of superstitious pseudo-scientific thinking. It is actually a very colorful read.

Also:
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. Makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.

19. "My Booky Wook" Russell Brand is a legend