Books, That Changed Affected Your Life?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by 5cooby Doo, Nov 7, 2011.

1. The Secret

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Night. That book made such an impact on my 13 year old self
    Dante Inferno. Still my favorite book to this date, it made me think about things in a different way.

The Art of War. Changed my life, the way I look at things, tackle problems and deal with others that I don't particularly care for.

3. I wouldn't say it changed my life, but I read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and I could relate so closely to it. It was like my highschool experience with a couple of variations.

4. the bible

LOL

5. Animal Farm hands down.

"all animals are equal, some are just more equal than others."

eye-opening shit i tell you.

6. #27 F. Fontaine, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    [​IMG]Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Such a liberating book.

7. 1. Island by Alduous Huxley
    2. Pihkal by Shulgin

8. Ender's Game

9. Fear and loathing, Everythings eventual?, To kill a mocking bird, The boomer bible, A brave new world.

10. No Logo - Naomi Klein.

11. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
    The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
    Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli
    and a lot of the titles already mentioned have changed the way I look at things

Also, Harry Potter had a substantial impact on my life. I followed that series from beginning to end, something like 8 years. Freaky.

12. Island by Aldous Huxley, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, The Book On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are, and This is It by Alan Watts. Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.

13. Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a short story, but it hit me really hard when I first read it in 8th grade.

Next by Michael Crichton is probably the most recent book to have an appreciable impact on my life. The story is excellent, and afterwards Crichton basically just goes on an awesome rant.

14. autobiography of a yogi by paramahansa yogananda

15. [quote name='"Ean"']The Last Lecture, Five People You Meet in Heaven, and Perks of Being a Walfllower.

Maybe not changed the way I looked at life but at important times in my life these were the books I was reading then so they mean a lot.[/quote]

Wow. These are the exact 3 books I was going to post. Great books, the last lecture made me cry. Did you watch the lecture as well as read the book?

16. The Union, and 1984. Also twilight, new moon eclipse and breaking dawn.

Just kidding about the last few lol

17. I first read the title as "Boobs, That Changed/Affected Your Life?" My list of books is not as long as my list of boobs would have been. :(

A Brief History of Time & The Universe in a Nutshell - Stephen Hawking

The Stranger & The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, VALIS, Ubik, The Divine Invasion, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? & so many more - Phillip K. Dick

Mindful Universe: Quantum Mechanics and the Participating Observer - Henry P. Stapp

Molloy - Samuel Beckett

PiHKAL - Alexander & Anne Shulgin

Naked Lunch - William Borroughs

This list could go on for a long time. I tend not to finish anything that doesn't change my perspective on life rather drastically.

18. I attribute my libertarian beliefs, in large part, to reading Nineteen Eighty-Four.

19. THe mooofuckin alchemist (Brazilian version of course :) )
    [​IMG]