Tea Party vs Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zylark, Nov 4, 2011.

1. #1 Zylark, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    Despite the thread title, I'm not trying to juxtaposition the two or claim the one better than the other. I'm just going to try to give my impression of the two, and my thoughts about them.

First thing first, both are populist movements. Which is another way of saying simple solutions for simple people. As the lowest common denominator usually gets the greatest support. And here we got two such movements, that by themselves got a great deal of support, but from two very different groups.

Historically not that uncommon in times of difficulty. It is what happens. The moderate middle-ground disappears, and increasingly opposing factions emerge.

But they need not be opposites. I think the TP and OWS got a few things in common apart from their mere superficial common folk approach to political activity.

And that is number one. Activism. Getting politics back to the people. Demonstrating, Creating a powerbase of malcontents that demand some change to business as usual.

Furthermore, I think both can agree upon that the love affair between big-business and big-government got to end. The two camps may not agree on the means and details, but I don't think neither think it fair for tax-payers to fund bailouts in the order of several billions to private companies that should go bancrupt by any definition of capitalist economics. Even if those companies are banks with a gambling addiction.

Despite such common interests (as I've understood it), there is quite the divide between the two movements. And I can understand why.

The Tea-Party people have their fair share of religious wingnuts. Basically the rednecks of the US. The baser elements of lower middle-class america showing their discontent by means of less than thought out arguments. Especially when more established politicos try to capitalize on the movement. It gets ugly fast.

And the OWS... Let's just say that hippies are not in vogue for a reason, and no amount of facepaint and drumcircles can change that. They come off as a bit weird, especially with their silly little "alternative" handgestures to signal approval or not. It just seems silly and will never catch on amongst the more serious crowd that may sympathise, but wont identify.

OWS need to get more inclusive, to gather more support. And TP need to rein in their frankly insane fringes. And the moderates of both, might realise that by and large, they got a common cause. Restoring the US to a land of opportunity and prosperity.

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for the real culprit... :wave:

[​IMG]