12/1 Light Cycle - Anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Slayer50, Oct 29, 2011.

1. I agree the dark is when the reaching for light looks like it begins.

2. Switched to this cycle beginning of the year and 11/13 for the flower and it works great and my power bill thanks me. :)

3. Ok read enough of the goo and the bad comments on this thread about if it work or if it doesnt.
    The only way your going to know for sure if its for you or not is to try it, What is the worst that could happen?? you f&u$k up one crop and gain knowledge in the process.

I have just altered my lighting cycle by 30mins at start and finish so giving a total of 1 hour less lighting so on an 11/13 now to see what happens with the girls.

DONT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT EIENSTEIN WASNT

4. I'm attempting to change from my 18-6 on down to this now over time. I'll keep everyone posted on the results or just follow my grow either or.

5. i am very interested in this topic as well. daylight savings time is coming up in a month or two and thats the perfect time to make a small adjustment to the timers, since there gonna be off an hour anyways, if you dont. so heres what im thinking that may help alot of us out. a whole lot of threads regarding this subject and nothing solid has been suggested. just tons of speculations, and people saying "keep us posted".

well from what ive gathered after tons of browsing cannabis forums, is that sativas take longer (ofc) to flower, which also means they need slightly longer light cycles than indicas. since sativas are native to warm tropical areas, not only can they take the heat slightly better than indica's but they also need a little more darkness in the night cycle to kick flowering into gear. now if this is true, its quite possible heavy indica's could start flowering with a little over 12 hours of daylight (dont quote me)but after this consideration, i think if your growing primarily indica dominant hybrids (very low sativa content, if any) inside and need to manipulate your lighting to induce flowering. going 12.5/11.5 could be a good idea. i would LOVE to hear if someone has tried this, if not i certainly will. an extra 30 mins a day of light= 3 extra hours of light on your ladies per week. 12 extra hours a month, a full day squeezed in legitimitely.

BUT i know some people people SWEAR by 12/12 even tho nature only has 2 days of the year like that. i know this is an old thread, pm if you have any good advice on this idea. id prefer to wait on advice but i also plan on trying it no matter what by daylight savings time november 8th

6. I started doing this light schedule and my plants have stretched a little but they have also bushed out like there's no tomorrow. I mean am very satisfied with the results to be honest

7. Will this work wit an auto? If so when it flowers do you leave the time or switch to 12/12? If its an auto should it not bud regardless of Light schedule? I have to autos that's just germed and I put in pots and I'd like to try this method.

8. Here's some food for thought related to your statement. One can use a FAR RED Flower Initiator lamp for a few minutes at lights out to change the Phytochrome state in a few moments, rather than the normal two hours, doing so with a 10 hour night the plants respond as if the night is 12 hours in length, so a 14/10 is like a 14/12, 13/11 is like 13/13. Doing so gives the benefits of a shorter night and a longer day, with great results. Watch this Flower Video as it is goes.

9. Switched to 12/1 2day sounds good. check out the 12/1 army on facebook good page and proof on 12/1 and a good helping page

Sent from my C1505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Yea it makes the plant bush out more its puts d energy to branch. more than grow up so no need for toping its just way beter grows faster giving 2 nites in 1 day the plant thinks it goes through 2 nites in 1 thats how it bushes out more and faster and can tel sex earlyier because its just about in flower then switch to 10/14 for flower and ment to finish faster and finish d lights at 9/15 makes bigger yield because a bushy plant wil hav more flowers

Sent from my C1505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Wow great thread. I cannot wait to try this out. Save money, get bushier plants quicker, sounds good to me.

12. I would like to vouch for this 12-1 schedule as well. Its actually called the Gas Lantern (lamp) Routine or GLR for short and I have used it with over 25 strains successfully, and only had 1 strain that wanted to flower on me during the GLR. (OGiesel). I have run Sativas, Indica's and hybrids all under the GLR veg schedule with great success. I love the savings I get on my electric bill, plus once you flip to 12/12 or 11/13 for flowering, the plants will show preflowers much quicker than using a 18/6 schedule and flipping to flowering. This is due to the buildup of flowering hormone.

Just for anyone who wants to know why this works, here is why..

Cannabis is a SDP or short day plant. With short day plants, the flowering is not triggered by the amount of light, but by the amount of un-interrupted dark. With a short day plant, 12 hours or more of complete darkness is needed to cause flowering hormones to form. By breaking this cycle up, you inhibit these hormones from causing the plant to stay in veg... So as you can see, the amount of light over 12 hours really doesn't matter much, its the dark that is what control's flowering...

It breaks down into photochrome PR (red) and photochrome Pfr (far red). In the short day plants red light, 660nm begins the synthesis of PR and red light converts this to PFR. Now this conversion of PR to PFR in light is a very fast process but at night, the process reverses and is slow, changing the PFR back to PR... Unless there is more PR than PFR, the plant will remain in veg..

Now by interupting the dark cycle with 1 hr of light, the PR is converted back quickly to PFR, so the plant stays in veg, because there again is more of an abundance of PFR than PR...typically this process as we know it for short day plants takes around 12+ hours of darkness to achieve a full reversion. So by breaking the cycle up, the plant will not flower.

13. I know this post is forever old and the first one I read but you need to do more research because I personally am using this lighting schedule and it seems to work pretty damn well to me :)

14. I use this method and got set straight  by this statement "THEY TEACH THIS TECHNIQUE IN ELEMENTARY HORTICULTURE  NURSERIES HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR DECADES " well i did a little research and found a old book that had 12/1 lighting theory for nurseries. and in my opinion i get similar growth rates plants are still similar heights as with 18/6 but plants are bushier and it does keep your room cooler and power bill will be lower i dont have any pics to post but it does the same shit as 18/6

15. Check out 12 1 army of cannabis growers on Facebook it's Daniel bother page he has a book on it and Joe petri 12_1 page very good proof